Online Gaming Bargains

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: today on Steam (and other online gaming deals)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:53 pm

Isileth
No idea if this applies to anyone here but GOG has an interesting offer on right now.

If any of you have been furloughed they are offering a bunch of games for free if you send in a picture of your letter. If not the games are all 50% off anyways.
Finally, we would like to express our condolences to everyone who's been furloughed by the shutdown. More than that, actually, we'd like to offer you the games pack of our special Shutdown Promo for free. Send an email to thanksobama@gog.com with your picture holding the official furlough letter you received, before Friday 11 October 2013 at 12:00 EDT and we'll give you The Guild: Gold Edition, Capitalism, Capitalism 2, Tropico: Gold Edition, Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire, Theme Hospital, and Redneck Rampage free.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Wow...that is generous. CD Projekt are good people!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:40 am

M.Steiner
Just mentioned this on IRC too but:

If you go here and vote - You will need to submit it too which requires you to login, but you can use other accounts to do that like yahoo/google).
and then go here and enter your details as well.
You can claim a free copy of either Mafia II or Civilization V ;)
When claiming your free game from GMG make sure you enter your CVG email address (the one you used for voting), and then enter your GMG account login details. That's how we verify you've voted. Please note that from the time you submit your votes it may take up to 48 hours to receive your free game
So the link you get via e-mail may say "you haven't voted yet" until they've verified it, mine did. [Edit] Got a key now.

I already own both of those games but I picked Mafia 2. Once I get the key I'll be adding it to my list in this thread if anyone would like it and picked Civ V or whatever. Loved that game :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:14 pm

Isileth
Awesome thanks for linking that.

Was initially running painfully slow and going to an error page most of the time, but it actually seems to be running perfectly fine now. Just waiting for it to verify my votes :)

And I now own Mafia 2 :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:15 pm

Kon
Thanks for the tip! Always nice to grab legit games for free. Especially great ones like Civilization or Mafia 2. :thumb:
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:41 pm

M.Steiner
no worries!
Voting is still open during the rest of this week if anyone else wants to claim a free copy of either game for themselves btw, or to give to someone else even. Mafia 2 is on my list of keys to give away as said :)
The original Mafia game is worth playing as well just to note, though you can't buy that on steam anymore unfortunately. Could be a licensing issue or something as I can't think why else they'd have removed it. It might be a bit dated now but it had a great story, music and setting and one of the missions from Mafia 2 links back to the ending of that. Other than that though (and a few odd references to the city iirc) they are not directly related or anything so you can play Mafia II on its own just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:19 pm

SL33PY
75% off the starter pack

50% off 3 month sub

http://store.steampowered.com/app/8500/

Resub nao!!! :thumb:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:36 pm

Kon
Have you heard anything on whether the game time bought on Steam can be used on the main site? My EVE set up is a bit confusing in that I bought it on a Steam sale, but took my CD key and applied it on the main EVE site. I didn't want to have to run Steam behind the EVE client.

It seems like this is the first time Steam has handled subscriptions itself. I wonder what kind of deal they worked out with CCP.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:15 pm

SL33PY
I honestly don't know since all my accounts are paid for... trough their site, even with one steam "eve" client installed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:33 am

Kon
After reading a bunch of people complaining on the EVE Steam forum, it seems like the discount price for 3 months could only be applied to accounts created from the Steam Starter Pack. Which seems like a little bit stupid, because the Starter Pack has only been around for 6 months or so IIRC. Oh well.

This is just another example of why I think it's best to cut Steam out of MMO account management.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 7:07 am

SL33PY
I must admit, I don't use Steam for my eve account management. Also why would you go to the man in the middle when the tools of the publisher (ccp in this case) are superior and access is easy?

Really sucks you can't use the game time on a normal account.

No matter, I'll connect to my vpn in the usa and order from there (conversion rates ftw!! :))

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:47 pm

Isileth
I wasn't sure which thread to put this in since it applied to both this one and the game trading thread. Decided on this one because it deals more with how people might view some future deals.

Humble Bundle is changing the way you redeem steam keys. You no longer are given a key instead you redeem it straight to your steam account, this means you wont be able to trade away your unwanted or duplicate games from future bundles.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:19 am

M.Steiner
damn, hope they don't keep this as their permanent method of redeeming on steam but you're probably right :/
Don't see the harm in how it was before tbh. You did have some knobhead come along every now and then and try to scam people by selling their keys on ebay for profit, whilst the bundles were still available too even. Saw that a couple of times and thought it was a pretty low thing to do myself, especially when they're part raising money for charity. So won't have people doing that again I suppose. It is a shame though to spend X amount on a bundle and not be able to freely gift or trade the titles you already own to your friends, just have them sitting unused in your account instead...

Don't know what the general reaction to the change has been? but maybe they'll change it back if enough people complain. Guess we'll see.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:17 pm

Isileth
This has been against the TOS the whole time it just wasn't enforced in any way. I think the people screwing the system was more than just a few though which im sure urged the change.

End of the day had this been done from day 1 I dont think anyone would be complaining at all. It still represents an amazing deal when even paying over the average you would be lucky to afford one of the games in the bundle normally. Your also more likely to get bigger games included when there isnt a risk of them undercutting the normal retail prices for the next few months as people that purchased it for $00.1 are trying to sell them off.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 9:49 pm

M.Steiner
I don't know if it's the same for the weekly bundle but in regards to the WB bundle that's gone up today you can still give games away to others if you want (all legit too), but the process is slightly different than before.
20:44 @Mechanus • So yes, gifting creates a link to give to someone to redeem from
:thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:03 pm

M.Steiner
This is a digital deal on Amazon.com so it'll be US only I think:

BioShock Triple Pack [$14.99]
Includes BioShock, BioShock 2 & most importantly, BioShock Infinite.
Even if you own the first 2 games you're still getting Infinite for less than a tenner so that's a pretty good deal if you ask me :thumb:

Deal ends on the 3rd Dec at 11:59PM PST
They have a few more here as well, including a Borderlands 1 & 2 pack for the same price.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Bioshock 1 and 2 make it not worth it :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 pm

M.Steiner
Maybe for BioShock 2 but the first BioShock was still awesome :p

The Autumn Steam sale has started btw for those of you looking for some other deals, assuming you hadn't already seen that is. Infinite could go cheaper in this if it becomes a daily/flash deal which I expect it will.
I saw a leaked start date for this a few weeks ago which has just turned out to be correct so taking that, the date for their Christmas sales is apparently Dec 19th :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:05 am

SL33PY
https://secure.eveonline.com/buy/

.99 cents for a month of EVE black friday deal!!!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:15 pm

M.Steiner
Few good deals today peeps;

BioShock Infinite - £6.24
Saints Row IV - £15.99
Dishonored - £3.74

Now is the time to buy Infinite if you still need to, forget the Amazon deal I posted before.
I know I've banged on about the game a few times now but it really is something special :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 pm

Isileth
GOG is giving away Fallout 1, Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics for free (Plus the soundtracks).

http://www.gog.com/promo/fallout_series ... promo_2013

Just under 2 days left on it.

Sites running very slow however, infact its just gone down as I tried to redeem mine. Surge of people after freebies im sure :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:53 pm

M.Steiner
Already got these but thanks for linking, freebies are always nice :D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:32 am

Anubis
Site Admin
When are the sales starting this year, if anybody knows? Actually looking forward to it this year! :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:24 pm

M.Steiner
Valve don't usually publicly announce their sales dates before hand so it's only those "in the know" who'll know for certain right now. I did however see 2 supposed leaked starting dates for both their Autumn (just gone) and Christmas sales last month, the former of which did actually turn out to be true so we can probably assume the other date is as well:
Thu 19th
They always update their deals at 6pm GMT so I'd check at that time on Thu to see!

annnd as always to those of you buying on Steam, wait for the daily deals. Even if the game(s) you're after are part of their site-wide discount knocking off 50% or whatever, If it's not a daily deal (or a flash/community one), wait. Don't buy it just yet.
The daily/flash/community deals are the max discount you'll see for a game during the sales so always wait to see if a game becomes one of those first before you buy. If it doesn't become a daily it still might become a flash deal, or a community choice deal, both of which would offer the same % discount as a daily would. If it doesn't get any of those? Buy on the last day of the sales.

So:
Daily deal: Buy now if you want it as that's as cheap as it's going to go. If it's like previous sales they'll also give you a second chance to buy the previous days daily for the same price when the new dailies go up too. There's also a chance they'll reappear as a flash deal or a community choice deal if they have either of those running again too but that's not guaranteed.
Flash deal: Buy now, should be the same price as it would be if it was a daily.
Community Choice deal: Buy now, should be the same price as it would be if it was a daily.
Discounted but not one of the above three: Wait for the above, if it doesn't become one then buy on the last day when you can be sure it won't go any cheaper.

Most of you are probably more than familiar with that already and won't need telling but there are still a lot of people out there who don't and will just randomly buy stuff regardless, always like to say just incase. This way you save the most money and don't buy anything on sale to later see it go even cheaper and end up kicking yourself ;)

Also as awesome as some of their deals usually are - if you see something which looks too good to be true as far as price goes, it probably is and they've made a pricing error. I haven't seen it happen very often but if it does and it's something you want, buy it!!. Got a few insanely cheap deals from pricing mistakes like this in the past (the Sleeping Dogs giveaway I did last year was from such) and they've always honoured them but they've fixed the price within a couple of minutes so you have to be fast.
It's probably a good idea to keep an eye on other digital stores too btw; GMG, GG & Amazon Digital. Steam usually dominates but last year some of these did a hell of a good job competing and offered some fantastic deals themselves, especially GMG. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Most of you are probably more than familiar with that already and won't need telling but there are still a lot of people out there who don't and will just randomly buy stuff regardless, always like to say just incase. This way you save the most money and don't buy anything on sale to later see it go even cheaper and end up kicking yourself ;)
Thanks mate. For me, this is very helpful as this'll be my first year with the sales. Got myself an unofficial rulebook now :D

Return to “General Discussions”