Haven - Ideas Bouncing - Tradeskills

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Haven - Ideas Bouncing - Tradeskills

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:11 am

Gryphon
Well since Haven is on the go again, I thought i'd run some ideas by you guys to see how they sound. This time it's relating to a set of player classes - the tradeskill set.

The set comprises of 4 (so far) Kinds

Researcher
Chemist
Constructor
Biotechnician

The Process

Before I continue, it's a good idea to show you the workflow of an item. The Tradeskiller responsible produces a schematic - this is the base idea/plans for the item/drug/chemical.

This schematic is researched to produce a "blueprint" we haven't come up with a name for it yet. The blue print decides the quality of the item it is used to produce. The quality is key, a bad quality blueprint will only ever be able to produce up to and including bad quality items, regardless of the skill of any other tradeskiller in the chain.

Blueprint quality is determined by skill. The blue print also contains a list of parts/chemicals etc needed to create one unit of the item it is for. Blueprints come with charges, the amount of times data can be read from it before it degrades. This is once again based upon the skill of the researcher.

The blueprint is then taken back to the tradeskiller of the same class as the creator, to be produced - for example drugs could only be produced by a chemist - implants by a biotechnician and items/parts by a constructor.

The tradeskiller then produces the item. in some cases item quality is further defined based on the skill of the producer. For example a good ueprint and a bad chemist - Bad drugs! ( more chance of side effects - and less of it's intended benefits)

Overview

Researcher - Produces blueprints from schematics - determines item quality and Use quantity for Blueprints.

Chemist - Creates drugs/chemicals etc Designs schematics for drugs and chems, and produces them from Blueprints.

Constructor
- Creates Items/weapons/armour and Parts. Designs schematics and produces finished articles from Blueprints.

Biotechnician - Designs implants. Creates schematics and produces finished implants from Blueprints.

We believe that by doing this - there will be a lot more demand for tradeskillers and more variety for people who are interested. Tradeskills are not just restricted to these classes - we want to have some kind of secondary tradeskills for other classes like salvaging parts from MoBs and Skinning creatures for armour components and other lower technology parts. There's a lot of scope for tradeskill, but we don't want to dilute the pool too much, that is why these will remain secondary bilities and therefore not essential to production.

There are some rare items that cannot be designed, thier schematics will be part of endgame loot. There are some not so rare items, that canot be researched either, these can be downloaded by players with teh appropriate skills, from data storage devices and data archives in dungeons placed around the world. That way there will always be some variety in how you get your items.

Thats all for now :thumb:
ESO - EU - Ebonheart
Jalfrezi - Khajit DK/Destro
Peeks-Through-Windows - Argonian Templar/Resto

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:33 am

Stracius
seems interesting. Will the researchers be skill specific? Rather, is researcher generic and they can do schematics for any of the classes of tradeskills?

Would seem like a bit overdoing it if one class could make blueprints from any schematic of any class. But then, making a class specific researcher might be too specialized. Hmm, subgroups of classes? Meh, just stuff falling out of my brain in the wee hours of the morning.

So what's Haven anyhow?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 12:52 pm

Gryphon
It's an MMO a small team of us are trying to pitch - it started life a couple of years back and now it's starting up again. I'm a part time artist/3d guy ( I can't be on teh team because I'm at uni - I can't afford to dedicate all my time to it like the rest of the guys can!

Anyhoo.

Researcher - yes he has blanket coverage. The reason being that he doesn't need specific knowledge to convert the schematics into readable data that the machines the tradeskillers use can create the finished product from. He just needs to know how to change thier format and break the design down into it's components so the parts list can be added to the blueprint.

Although this will be subject to change later on most probably.
ESO - EU - Ebonheart
Jalfrezi - Khajit DK/Destro
Peeks-Through-Windows - Argonian Templar/Resto

Return to “General Discussions”