Mass Effect 2!

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:31 am

suggz
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:20 am
Location: Irivne, CA
got this game at 12am and now i am about 10 hours in.....this game rocks
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:58 pm

User avatar
M.Steiner
Posts: 5817
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Contact:
My 360 CE was dispatched this morning. They seem to have posted it via special delivery which they haven't done before but I should get it tomorrow if so. It's still a day before release (29th in the UK) so that's great, it'll just need signing for annoyingly. Can't wait though!
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:39 am

User avatar
Padishar
Posts: 1713
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:15 pm
Location: Next Door
Contact:
Got it installed on meh PC,
now just have to finish downloading/installing
the 6 bonus extras:

Blood Dragon Armor (promo included with Dragon Age)
Collectors Weapon & Armor (included with Collectors Edition)
Inferno Armor & Incisor Sniper Rifle (included with Preorder)
Zaed & Normandy quests (included with Cerberus Network)

So I got another 620MB to be download before I play... :smack:
Guess I will go make dinner :sweat:

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:13 am

User avatar
BlackDove
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:22 am
Location: Denial
About 40 hours in, already done everything except some of the sidequests, and the ending.

Had problems with the game since install, because of their bullshit loading schemes and .blk files. Now I have problems yet again from allowing me to play. Gotta wait for the patch.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:16 am

suggz
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:20 am
Location: Irivne, CA
i only have the terminus armor and wep with the cerberus stuff. I got my game on the 360 and seems to be running smooth so far (just about 20 hours in) i did the ME1 save game import and it seems like it does mix up the story... cant wait to go for my 2nd play and see how different it can be
"full strength like a cyclops eye drops"

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:46 pm

User avatar
M.Steiner
Posts: 5817
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Contact:
Padishar wrote:Blood Dragon Armor (promo included with Dragon Age)
Collectors Weapon & Armor (included with Collectors Edition)
---Inferno Armor & Incisor Sniper Rifle (included with Preorder)
Zaed & Normandy quests (included with Cerberus Network)
Downloading all the above except the preorder gear now too :)
I preordered from GAME as they were the only shop over here selling the CE other than Gamestation I think, however I'm not sure if they actually had a preorder bonus or not (I don't remember reading and I didn't enquire), mebbe I'll receive a surprise email heh. Not to worry if not though, can't wait to play! ^^
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2010 11:53 pm

User avatar
BlackDove
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:22 am
Location: Denial
47 hours in, game done.

Good game.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:48 pm

User avatar
SL33PY
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:25 pm
The game is in the mail, hope to have it by tonight or monday, since my whole weekend is planned for me, I won't have time to play before monday anyways

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:18 am

User avatar
Anubis
Site Admin
Posts: 4141
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: The Unholy Realm
Contact:
Just completed it. Game was very very good, much superior to the first in almost every way - the only exception being Planet Scanning/Resource Gathering.

Roll on Mass Effect 3.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:34 pm

User avatar
M.Steiner
Posts: 5817
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Contact:
Anubis wrote:the only exception being Planet Scanning/Resource Gathering.
On the 360 your controller vibrates when it detects minerals so that helps speed the process up I find, wouldn't fancy it without. You dont need to rely on the graph all of the time then. You won't have that with the pc version & mouse though but mebbe with a gamepad plugged in?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:46 pm

User avatar
Anubis
Site Admin
Posts: 4141
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: The Unholy Realm
Contact:
Playing it with the gamepad for the PC is really bad. I have found the keyboard/mouse controls much more intuitive and enjoyable.

As for planet scanning....it wasn't so much the lack of vibration that was a problem. There is a sound effect that plays that basically tells you when you've found something, so detecting things wasn't the problem. It was more that you basically had to do three scrolls in one direction to do one horizontal pass of the part of the planet being displayed. Rinse and repeat 50 times per planet. It took up tons of time, and was incredibly dull.

There really had to be a better way for them to handle it.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:26 pm

User avatar
BlackDove
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:22 am
Location: Denial
We actually have the Game Cheat on the PC, so we can get 999999 of them in 5 minutes.

Muuuuuuuuuch better.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:40 am

User avatar
Futile Resistance
Posts: 1453
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2004 10:44 pm
Location: TX
BlackDove wrote:We actually have the Game Cheat on the PC, so we can get 999999 of them in 5 minutes.

Muuuuuuuuuch better.
Is that why it only took your 47 hours? :D

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:42 am

User avatar
M.Steiner
Posts: 5817
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Contact:
61h 26m & finished.
Fantastic game :)
-Completed all the side missions I could find (including current DLC)
-Romance with Miranda
-All 12 squad members were loyal
-Full Paragon bar
-I only managed to save Dr. Chakwas, the rest of the crew (Kelly etc.) died unfortunaltey :/. It seems I took too long in rescuing them but I wanted to make sure all my squad were loyal first so they didn't <censored> things up later or get themselves or the rest of us killed heh..
-Other than the above my entire squad including myself survived the suicide mission.
-Told the Illusive man where to go & destroyed the Reaper station.

Would have preferred the rest of my crew to survive & not just me & the main squad in order to get my perfect Paragon ending but I wouldn't have wanted to be spoiled & known that I needed to go rescue them immediately (or as good as) for them all to survive. Not for my first playthrough anyway so all is cool.
The only negative comments I have after completing the game are 1. the planet scanning. - I still like the idea behind it and in the beginning actually found it quite relaxing to do inbetween missions. However I agree that it takes wayyy too long even with the upgrades and it does get tiresome after a while because of that. If they do it again for ME3 just further increasing the scan speed and/or scan area would improve that a lot. For me anyway.
And 2. The suicide mission itself. Whilst epic & coupled with a great music score for the ending(s) it seemed a bit on the short side when the rest of the game was spent preparing for it, maybe that was just me? Was enjoying it a lot so the time prolly flew by quicker hehe.

Great game though with lots of improvements over the first one. Can we have ME3 already? :p
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:50 am

User avatar
BlackDove
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:22 am
Location: Denial
Futile Resistance wrote:
BlackDove wrote:We actually have the Game Cheat on the PC, so we can get 999999 of them in 5 minutes.

Muuuuuuuuuch better.
Is that why it only took your 47 hours? :D
Nope, didn't use it on my first go, and I did everything, perfect ending.

The 99999999 is the second time around, when I don't ever want to deal with the shit again.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:06 pm

Scorpius
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:19 pm
Location: Ass End of the Universe
SSX-MS wrote:61h 26m & finished.
Fantastic game :)
-Completed all the side missions I could find (including current DLC)
-Romance with Miranda
-All 12 squad members were loyal
-Full Paragon bar
-I only managed to save Dr. Chakwas, the rest of the crew (Kelly etc.) died unfortunaltey :/. It seems I took too long in rescuing them but I wanted to make sure all my squad were loyal first so they didn't <censored> things up later or get themselves or the rest of us killed heh..
-Other than the above my entire squad including myself survived the suicide mission.
-Told the Illusive man where to go & destroyed the Reaper station.

Would have preferred the rest of my crew to survive & not just me & the main squad in order to get my perfect Paragon ending but I wouldn't have wanted to be spoiled & known that I needed to go rescue them immediately (or as good as) for them all to survive. Not for my first playthrough anyway so all is cool.
The only negative comments I have after completing the game are 1. the planet scanning. - I still like the idea behind it and in the beginning actually found it quite relaxing to do inbetween missions. However I agree that it takes wayyy too long even with the upgrades and it does get tiresome after a while because of that. If they do it again for ME3 just further increasing the scan speed and/or scan area would improve that a lot. For me anyway.
And 2. The suicide mission itself. Whilst epic & coupled with a great music score for the ending(s) it seemed a bit on the short side when the rest of the game was spent preparing for it, maybe that was just me? Was enjoying it a lot so the time prolly flew by quicker hehe.

Great game though with lots of improvements over the first one. Can we have ME3 already? :p
Completed my first playthrough rescued all the crew but two of my team died :(
I later found out that in some parts of the suicide mission its a random chance of a team mate dying. Doing another playthrough now and then its time for insanity level.
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:14 pm

User avatar
Anubis
Site Admin
Posts: 4141
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: The Unholy Realm
Contact:
Insanity is a lot harder. Anyone wanting to try it, I would strongly advise you carry over a character from a previous playthrough. Try starting fresh, and you will be massacred constantly :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:22 pm

Scorpius
Posts: 673
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2004 12:19 pm
Location: Ass End of the Universe
I'd heard ME 2 Insanity level is harder than ME 1's which I found easy if not time consuming damn everyone and there immunity's. :smack:
Power Corrupts, Ultimate Power is Fun.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 12:50 am

User avatar
BlackDove
Posts: 3059
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:22 am
Location: Denial
About 70% into it with my Adept on Insanity.

It's rough, but it's doable.

I actually like it better.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:19 am

User avatar
Fenavian
Posts: 1164
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 9:55 pm
Location: Here.
Scorpius wrote:I later found out that in some parts of the suicide mission its a random chance of a team mate dying. Doing another playthrough now and then its time for insanity level.
It's not a random chance. Certain Team Mates will indeed die at certain parts regardless of loyalty. This has been confirmed by me and quite a few others. I have tried that whole last mission in a variety of different ways to make sure I had the optimal chance of surviving, that and I wanted the "Team Survives" Achievement.
01000101011100110110001101101000011001010111011100100000011011110110001001
10011001110101011100110110001101100001011101000110100101101111011011100010
1110

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:36 am

User avatar
QuantumDelta
Posts: 1051
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:51 pm
Location: Bristol, England.
Contact:
Team survive = Legion through the pipe, "ArchAngel" leading the other team both times, Jack for the bubble and Grunt taking the people back.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:01 pm

User avatar
SL33PY
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:25 pm
QuantumDelta wrote:Team survive = Legion through the pipe, "ArchAngel" leading the other team both times, Jack for the bubble and Grunt taking the people back.
not really necessary

I had the quarian through the pipe, Garrus was the other team lead both times, jacob was taking the survivors back (doc, kelly and some other guy I don't know.... maybe more) I took the Justicar as bubble holder and took Grunt and Miranda to the end fight

Crew survived, all people survived

I didn't get 12 loyal followers (I lost Jack) because for some reason I couldn't tell Miranda and Jack that they were both wrong in their silly argument. I don't really like tattoos and I wanted to get into Mirandas pants, so I chose her side :p

Told the Illusive man to go **** himself, I never cared for Cerberus

Unfortunatly I think, the story is not as good as ME1's. In ME1 you were just a little cog in a bigger whole with intrigues and hidden agenda's. This time it was all pretty straightforward:
- Find some friends
- Collectors are here
- Find some more friends
- Ship of collectors found, go check it out
- Find even more friends
- Go get IFF chip
- Get more loyalty amongst friends and do the upgrade thingies
- Test the IFF chip
- Lose crew
- Go get em tiger
- The end
I really hope that ME3 = ME1 + ME2 :)

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:29 pm

User avatar
Anubis
Site Admin
Posts: 4141
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:13 pm
Location: The Unholy Realm
Contact:
Yeah, loyalty plays a big part. The impression I got was that there are two main factors:

- Picking the right people for the right job
- Loyalty

If you send Tali to lead the assault team, Tali is going to die because she is not cut out for it. Similarly so if you send Grunt through the pipes.

I managed to pick the right people for the jobs (Tali for the pipes, Garrus to lead the teams both times, and Samara to do the bubble), and everyone survived but Tali. This is because I made her disloyal due to the fact that she was for some reason unhappy that I broke up the Migrant Fleet and sent the Quarians to their deaths in an attempt to retake their homeworld. Everyone else survived.

I cannot speak for those that you do not assign jobs to - though I suspect it's just a case of they die if they are disloyal and/or their team leader is the wrong choice.

But for those that you give the jobs to, it's pretty much just a two flag check. Correct person, and Loyalty. Those determine life and death.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:18 pm

User avatar
M.Steiner
Posts: 5817
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 5:57 pm
Location: UK
Contact:
(With everyone Loyal) - I picked Tali for tech, Miranda first to lead & then Garrus the second time, Jack for the bubble & Jacob for escorting. All my people survived except for Kelly & co. from me taking too long. Damn me for wanting to be fully prepared hehe. Will have to replay before ME3 comes out and make sure my Normandy crew survive as well and not just my squad. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Mass Effect 2!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:30 am

User avatar
SL33PY
Posts: 980
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 7:25 pm
SSX-MS wrote:(With everyone Loyal) - I picked Tali for tech, Miranda first to lead & then Garrus the second time, Jack for the bubble & Jacob for escorting. All my people survived except for Kelly & co. from me taking too long. Damn me for wanting to be fully prepared hehe. Will have to replay before ME3 comes out and make sure my Normandy crew survive as well and not just my squad. :)
maybe you still have a save file from before the IFF mission, then you can do whatever and get all the loyalty you need

Return to “General Discussions”