Shattered Star History - Imput needed

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Shattered Star History - Imput needed

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:30 pm

M.Steiner
Update: My work on the project has been put on hold
Just to let you all know that I've made the hard decision to abandon my work on the timeline, at least for the time being. For a few reasons really.
First off let me thank those of you who came out and helped with this. I thought this would make a great community wide project where everyone could get involved no matter when we joined or which groups we played with. Whilst this hasn't received the amount of attention or imput I was hoping it would, I'm still very grateful to those of you did help.

I didn't want this timeline to only cover our major events from over the years, only listing our biggest groups and successes. I wanted us all to come together and make something truly complete and thorough to showcase our history together. I posted a list of divisions we were missing dates and info for back in October, mentioned it again in Nov, Dec and bumped the list in Feb of this year too. 9 divisions there which still have no place on the timeline. We still have several people here who have been around far longer than I have who may have been able to help with these dates and relevant info, or at least help narrow down the year like Blade has done for D2. 7 months later and I'm still none the wiser. I don't feel comfortable leaving so many groups off the timeline knowing that they existed. Doesn't matter how big, small, important or successful they were, they should still be on there. I would rather not release something like this than put it out knowing it was a half-arsed, incomplete attempt.

The write-ups. I had hoped after I had posted the example of one of the write-ups I had done, that others would lend a hand with some of those for the groups they had been part of. Again, I've always had this in mind as a community project and something we could all build together, not just to do it all by myself. When it came to some of the groups I had been part of myself I was fine, but say for some of the many groups I haven't been involved with; Freespace 1 & 2, AO, Lore, GW, CN, LOTRO etc etc. I'd have much rather had someone who was a member of those groups and who played those games help do the write-ups for them. Have them written by members who were part of them and can add that personal touch. It has been 4 months since I posted about those and offered the example and the only write-ups I have on file are the ones I have done myself. Yes I could just say <censored> it and do the rest myself as best I can but why should I if nobody else is willing or can find the time to help write a couple of paragraphs?.

I've brought it up once before but I often feel like my attempts at doing things with or for the group are wasted these days. Whether it's trying to engage people in discussion, interest people in upcoming games we could possibly play together or just trying to get people involved with something as a group like I did with this. Sometimes it's just nice to be met half way you know?. Really thought this was a great opportunity for something we could all do together, little by little. There was something for everyone here and whilst I'm extremely grateful to those of you who have helped, I did expect more people to come out and play. [Edit: Sorry, mini-rant there but it does express my feelings well I think..]

We're now less than 4 months away from Sep 1st, our 10yr Anniversary and the exact date I wanted to launch this timeline on. I still had to account for the time it'd take me to add the rest of the gathered info to my photoshop designs and then again to ultimately implement it into the site itself and give Anny plenty of room to find time to help with that, so in reality there's very little time left tbh. With so many divisions missing from it, no other yearly descriptions completed by anyone but myself and only 1 post in the last four months (besides my own post bumping said list of divisions in Feb), I simply can't see this being completed in time. As such I have decided to abandon all work on the project and put it on hold for now.
Just to note though, I won't be deleting any of my files for the design or the text file with all the info we've gathered so far so if, later on, people want to and are willing to help and make it the community project it was intended as we can always resume this some other time or complete it over a longer period. Just a shame it won't go up on our site to mark our 10yr anniversary like I had hoped and intended. Thanks once again to those of you who have helped up to this point, none of this will be scrapped or anything so our efforts won't have been wasted entirely. Will just take a bit longer.

I'll try not to drag on with this but please take the time to read when you have a moment, ty! :)

Anny and I originally spoke about this stuff quite some time ago actually and we'd already made some progress towards completing some of that, though we never managed to go the full way. The plan was for us to fully recognise our history basically. Not to hide any of it away, but to show it off and be proud of it.
We have always had the notion of archiving stuff and this is something I have always liked about us. If a members post needed removing for whatever reason it was not deleted, it was archived in a place where everyone (even visitors) could see. If a group went inactive and stopped playing a particular game at any point their forum was not hidden or deleted, but again moved to the archive. Even our members forum is out in the open for all to see, both positive and negative. For a long time though things like our old news posts and inactive group websites simply disappeared when they became inactive or whatever. Anny kindly took the time to restore all of these for us as part of this plan.

Another part of the plan I would have personally liked to have seen done and it may be too late now (if it was even possible or negotiable to begin with) was to restore our Shattered Star Confederation forums up to the time of the split, or as much data as was possible. This time was just as much a part of our history as any other post, thread or site we have archived, preserved or restored since and a link to that should have stood proudly besides the rest of our preserved history content. This group would not even exist had it not been for the SSC years. I've always found it sad that we didn't and that it basically just vanished into thin air, but alas..

The final part of the plan was for us to add a Shattered Star History page to our main site where we could show off events during our history such as group formings, alliances, bosses killed and dungeons cleared, arbiter election results and such. You get the picture.
Just recently I was thinking (out aloud too so you may have seen a post or two) about our 10th Anniversary next year and thinking it would be nice to do some things to mark that. It's a big date for us. It wasn't long after that when I was reminded of the above and thought launching a History page of some sorts would be extremely fitting for such an event.
Playing Beyond: Two Souls last week gave me a concept idea for how this page would look and I have already spent several hours working on something which is shaping up very nicely if I do say so myself. To describe it; The chapter screen for the game is basically a long (animated) wavy horizontal timeline. SL33PY will know what I'm referring to since he is currently playing it too. Along this timeline from left to right are big events (chapters) in Jodie's life. My idea was to do something similar for our history page but not animated.

Our history timeline will date from 1997 - The founding of the Shattered Star Confederation all the way to 2014 - the 10th Anniversary of the SSX. (It'll have one final marking at the end which I could name "2015+" or similar which will link to a joining us page and helping to write the rest of our history).
Each yearly marking along the timeline will have notable events written next to them; 1997 SSC is Founded, 1998 FreeSpace, 2002 Neocron, 2005 WoW EU, 2011 SW:TOR etc. The idea is then to be able to click each year, have a little dialogue box appear or something and have that display a more detailed description of the things that happened during that particular year, including the current Arbiter (I've already gathered a full list of each Arbiters term - job done). So whilst the timeline itself won't be animated, it will be somewhat interactive and hopefully pretty cool if all goes well.

Here's where you guys come in and this is something which everybody here can help with regardless of when you joined the Shattered Star (Confederation or Exiles) or which groups you have played with over the years. Infact this is the point and why each of you can have some imput on this if you want. A group wide project in a way!. There's all the archived content below, archived news & group sites via the main site nav, google, and sites like the wayback machine to help as well so you may be able to help gather some dates/info for stuff even if you weren't around for them.
So to complete this timeline we need to gather as much information as possible. Tis not something I could accurately and fully complete on my own really and I can't remember ever little detail myself either. Plus I think this would be a nice activity to do as a group personally. Like I know we had a DH:Lore group under the SSC before the split as well but I don't know when.

So!. Notable events from 1997-present day. Need accurate dates (just the year is fine so we know where to mark it but if you know or can find out the day/month too that would be awesome. Also if you have any extra detail you'd like to add to that event & date we can make sure to include that in the detailed popups). Anything you think should be listed on the timeline but not 100% sure on the date? Post it and maybe someone else will know or be able to find out.

I'll start keeping a list of dates below and spoiler tag them to save page space, that way everyone can see what info has been gathered, needs adding or needs fixing if incorrect. Also if any of the mods would like to help maintain this list please feel free!
My plan is to launch this on Sep 1st 2014 to coincide with the anniversary so we have ample time providing all goes well and Anny is able to implement my design okay, so no great rush or anything. Can take our time with it and make sure it's as complete as we can get it.

I have already filled some of these in myself by searching around but some are just estimates so if any of these look wrong to you or you have some additional info to add that would be great.
Cheers guys <3
If it wasn't clear - Red text indicates groups under the Confederation name whereas blue are Exiles. They will be represented as such on the timeline since we've had groups for the same game under both, like Eve Online.

The Shattered Star Confederation is founded
Total Annihilation
Shadow Warrior
Duke Nukem 3D
Starfleet Academy
Earth 2025

FreeSpace
StarCraft (March)
Tribes - Founded by Lonestar & Titan

FreeSpace 2
Descent 3
MechWarrior 3 (Spring)

MechWarrior 4 (latter end of the year)

Darkspace
Tribes 2

Neocron (Fallen Angels / Uranus)

Eve Online
Warcraft III (Jan)
Freelancer (March)
Star Wars Galaxies
Formation of the United Angels

SSC Splits - SSX is founded (Sep 1st)
SSC-NC appears in edition #2 of the VotR magazine (21st June - Pre-split) [PIC]
Neocron 2 (Sun Sep 5th)
Dawn of War
Final Fantasy XI
World of Warcraft US
Dark Horizons: Lore (July)
Mavlympics event held in DH:Lore with real prizes (Oct) [Link]
Group sites for NC2, FS2, DoW & Lore go live (Nov)
SSX-NC2 become richest clan on Terra (Nov 2004) [PIC]
SSX-NC2 rarespool opens. A massive collection of rare parts primarily handled by SSX-MS & SirRah across multiple storage apartments. Members of the group could contribute towards this and receive fully constructed rares back in return (Dec)

World of Warcraft EU - Alliance on Bladefist (Feb)
Guild Wars
Anarchy Online
Anarchy Online group website goes live (May 25th)
Anime forum section opens (Jul)
WoW-EU group site launches (Jul 13th 2005)
WoW-EU group begins dungeon weekends - LBRS/Strath/Scholo (July) [PIC1], [PIC2].
SirRah wins vote & becomes Chairman of the Fallen Angels in NC2 (Jan 27th) [PIC]
SirRah wins uber rare Zagerus belt during NC2 event (April 2nd) [PIC]
WoW:EU group with the addition of Grace of Elune & Union kill their first boss in Molten Core, Lucifron. The start of our raiding success (Aug 24th) [PIC]
WoW:EU group with the addition of Grace of Elune kill Onyxia for the very first time (Oct 27th 2005) [PIC]

Eve Online
Conquer Online
QD aquires WoW:EU's first legendary weapon - Sulfuras (28th Jan) [PIC]
esd & Slacker V All Comers in Lore, win 3-0! (Feb) [Link]
SSX beer tasting session (March - St. Patrick's Day) [Thread]
WoW:EU group clears Blackwing Lair after the killing of Nefarian, one of the hardest bosses of vanilla WoW (March 24th) [PIC]
WoW:EU group migrates from Bladefist to Outland (April 17th)
Ava aquires WoW:EU's second legendary weapon - Thunderfury (May 6th) [PIC]
SSX begin weekly fishing events in FFXI (July 22nd)

SSC Closes (Aug) [Link]
SSX reaquires the shatteredstar.com domain (Nov)

Lord of the Rings Online
Steam group founded (Oct 5th)
Tabula Rasa

SSX forums relaunch with a custom designed skin created by SSX-MS, Anubis & BlackDove (Sep 23rd)
FFXI group reactivated (Jan 15th)
Age of Conan
Cyber Nations
Warhammer Online

Name change suggested (Jan 11th) [Thread]

Star Trek Online
Football & games section opens (May)

Star Wars: The Old Republic group founded - Sith Empire on Bloodworthy (Dec 20th)
SSX-TOR Group Site Launched (Oct 1st)
SSX-EvE Killboard launches (Oct 15th)
Battlefield 3 platoon created (Oct 26th)
SSX News Archive opens, old news posts restored (Oct 28th)
Archived group sites restored (Nov 20th)
Revamped SSX screenshot & gallery system launched (Sep 27th)

MechWarrior Online
TOR group starts running weekly hardmode flashpoint weekends (Feb 19th) [PIC]
SSX-TOR PvP Guild Tournament hosted by SSX-MS (May 19th) [PIC]
SSX-TOR migrate from Bloodworthy to Tomb of Freedon Nadd (June)
Name change suggestion revisited
[Thread]

SimCity
Final Fantasy XIV??

SSX 10yr Anniversary (Sep 1st)
SSX History Timeline launches (Sep 1st)

-----
ADDITIONAL INFO FOR THE DETAILED DESCRIPTIONS OF EACH YEAR

1999 - FreeSpace 2:
SSC in the credits under the special thanks section.

2000 - MechWarrior 4:
"We were consistently ranked in the bottom ten in our league, but we'd occasionally upset some of the more highly ranked teams, including the top-ranked Eridani Light Horse (twice)."

2005 - WoW:EU:
Fully cleared Onyxia, AQ20, Zul’gurub, Molten Core, Blackwing Lair and AQ40 during vanilla WoW.
2 Legendary weapons within the guild - QD with Sulfuras, Hand of Ragnaros & Ava' Thunderfury, Blessed Blade of the Windseeker.

-----
ARBITER TERMS

Sep '04 - Sep '05: Inquisitor with a whopping 83% of the vote
Sep '05 - Sep '06: Inquisitor
Sep '06 - Sep '07: Inqusitor
Sep '07 - Sep '08: Anubis
Sep '08 - Sep '09: Anubis
Sep '09 - Sep '10: Stracius
Oct '10 - Oct '11: Stracius
Oct '11 - Oct '12: Mechanus
Oct '12 - Oct '13: Messiah
Oct '13 - Oct '14: SL33PY
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Shattered Star History - Imput needed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:45 am

SL33PY
Jul 2005 opening of the anime section
May 2010 opening of the football and games section (which incidentally I think could be removed and kept under general, but that's not what this thread is about :))

Also, maybe we can make this an animated feature... input is date, short description, category, long description and picture ... i'm going to think on it a bit :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:45 am

M.Steiner
Ta ;)

I've just added the following data too:
Group sites for NC2, FS2, DoW & Lore go Live (Nov 2004)
SSX-NC2 become richest clan on Terra (Nov 2004)
SirRah becomes Chairman of the Fallen Angels in NC2 (Jan 27th 2005)
SirRah wins uber rare Zagerus belt during NC2 event (April 2nd 2005)
Anarchy Online group website goes live (May 25th 2005)
WoW-EU group begins dungeon weekends with Lower Blackrock Spire (Jul 2005)
WoW-EU group site launches (Jul 13th 2005)
WoW:EU group with the addition of Grace of Elune kill their first boss in Molten Core, Lucifron. The start of our raiding success (Aug 24th 2005)
WoW:EU group clears Blackwing Lair after the killing of Nefarian, one of the hardest bosses of vanilla WoW (March 24th)
QD aquires WoW:EU's first legendary weapon - Sulfuras (28th Jan)
WoW:EU group migrates from Bladefist to Outland (17th April 2006)
Ava aquires WoW:EU's second legendary weapon - Thunderfury (May 6th 2006)
TOR group site launched (Oct 1st 2011)
TOR Guild Tournament (Sat 19th May 2012)
BTW, the design of the timeline I have in Photoshop just has the biggest event of the year in bold under the date and then the others follow below in smaller text. Given how some years were pretty damn busy I may need to revise that somewhat and keep some of that just to the detailed popups instead. Will see.. So 2005 for example would have the founding of the WoW:EU group in bold at the top even though there were a couple of notable events before that.
Also if there are any dates/events which you don't think are timeline worthy and should not be included, feel free to say and we can always remove them. Like for WoW:EU I have decided only to add the boss kill dates for the first of MC which was the beginning of our success in the raiding department, and Nefarian of BWL which shows how far we had come.

The background I have for the timeline is mostly complete now. I only mentioned it to Anny this weekend in private (since he will be the one lending his expertise to actually implement it all when the time comes), but I was feeling creative so I've basically been working on it every day heh. - The date placements are in too but I can hide those if we do the below;
SL33PY - If you have some ideas for animating the text and/or detailed pop-ups on top of that and feel up to giving it a go at some point I can hand the PSD file over if you would like. The background itself won't be animated like the concept I got the idea from since I've drawn it all in static and it's cropped in at the sides, that is unless you wanted to add some other background effects above that ofc. But all of the info on there including the dates, events, clicking for more info and having the window appear with the detailed description could be. I'm just not experienced in that stuff other than tiny buttons I have played about with in the past hehe. There's no rush though as I say.

I was originally going to try and fit it in within the main site design:
and so the timeline would have been placed in that middle content box on a new page just for the history. But after experimenting in PS it's just not feasible given the limited space (mainly the width) for what I wanted to do and how much info we'd have to actually put on there, without dumbing it down. Therefor the size I have been working at is 1800x800. Fits comfortably on the screen at 1080p without any horizontal scrolling (like the 1080p screenshots we scale down to 1800 wide too), but that can always be saved a little smaller if Anny requires. Ideally I would like to scale it up slightly (which shouldn't lose much quality) so the cropped edges of the timeline fit right up against the outer edge of the website layout at 1080 but I'm not sure what the width for that would be without checking, and it may differ from browsers. Can sort that stuff later though...

I'll post a small pic either later today or tomorrow so you guys can see exactly what I've done and get a better idea of what it'll look like :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:40 pm

SL33PY
gonna try make something groovy somewhere... I'm thinking HTML5 and CSS3 and then see what I can cook up, no guaranties that it will rock

also I don't do php :s

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:30 pm

M.Steiner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:53 pm

SL33PY
I might just create a static HTML5 page (it's not like history is going to change all that much :D)

edit: Also some animation can be done via CSS3 and javascript

I'll have to look into it a bit more to be certain

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 5:47 pm

BlueFlames
The SSC's MechWarrior 4 division started up around the end of 2000. We were consistently ranked in the bottom ten in our league, but we'd occasionally upset some of the more highly ranked teams, including the top-ranked Eridani Light Horse (twice). Later in the division's history, we putzed around with MegaMek, an open-source, online version of the BattleTech tabletop game.

On the subject of giant, stompy death-robots, it'd be criminal of us to not include Dark Horizons - Lore somewhere on the timeline. I don't remember the dates, but the SSC did have a division for the game, and Inquisitor was the head of the development team. (According to Wikipedia, the Windows release was at the end of 2006, with the Linux release preceding by almost two years, which doesn't match up with what I remember. I remember it being available pre-split, and nowhere near that much time between releases for different OS's.)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:41 pm

M.Steiner
Yep, SSC definitely had a Lore division before the split. Looking at the wayback machine it is first listed under the divisional websites nav list on the April 5th 2004 snapshot with a news post from esd on March 31st 2004 talking about the end of a beta test for it. I'm assuming that since it's listed on the nav at the same time, that a group for the game was founded during said beta at some point. It is not present on the Jan 31st snapshot so it looks like early early 2004 for that division unless there was a delay adding it to the nav. I'll wait until someone can confirm it before I add it to the list though! :)

These also appeared under the SSC divisions nav list:

Age of Empires 2
Asheron's Call
Baldur's Gate II
Diablo II
Dungeons & Dragons
Freelancer
Jedi Knight
Project Entropia (?)
Quake III
StarCraft
Unreal Tournament
Warcraft III

So we must've had groups for these at some point too.

The wayback machine doesn't cover 1997-2001 unfortunately (it starts at Feb 2001) so I've no idea what was listed on the nav before then. However - Shadow Warrior, Duke3d & Jedi Knight are mentioned on the SSC History page;
The Ideals came about when The SSC's First Light was shed in Total Annihilation, on TEN (Total Entertainment Network) and after awhile there the 'stars (Lonestar, Darkstar, RedStar, and TinStar- along with OrkinMan, and a few others, spread ACROSS the net. We all went our seperate ways and prospered for awhile in our original Divisions, Total Annihilation, Shadow Warrior, Duke3d, Jedi Knight, and soon StarCraft (which had just been released)
So reading this, if Total Annihilation was the first division in '97 these must all have been around between Sep '97 (release of TA) and March '98 (release of SC), that is unless they are not listed in order and spread over a longer time...
I'll add StarCraft since the date for that group is pretty clear but I'll leave Shadow Warrior, Duke3d & Jedi Knight off for now until we have a better idea.

Found a date for Warcraft III so we don't need a date for that one either:
Warcraft III Posted Saturday, January 18, 2003 by Inquisitor

Yup, looks like we have an active WCIII division!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:03 am

Rock-n-Roll
I'll need Mess, NF and Wolfman to chime in on dates and such, but you are missing MW3 from the SSC timeline, including the leaving of said group with a good number of the folks you know and love from SSX. (KJ, Quiz, Chim, Me, Mess, NF, Wolfman, others?)

I think we all came back when SSX formed or slightly before then.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:08 pm

M.Steiner
Aye, if we can get some dates confirmed for those I'll get them added above :thumb:

SL33PY or one of our other NC members may be able to help with this one:
ImageImage
There seems to have been two number "2" VotR magazines released:
"Voice of the Resistance 2" released on 7th August 2003
"Voice of the Resistance #2" released on 21st June 2004

I did the artwork for it in early 2003 (originally meant for the NeMa but I don't think it ever made it in there, just the VotR) but I'm not 100% sure which of those 2 dates this particular edition was released in. All links I've found are dead so I can't re-download them to see and I don't have any other issue 2 VotR magazines backed up on my HDD like I do 12 of the NeMa's to check either. My file is 1.98mb however whereas the 2003 issue is marked as 1.1mb, 2004 doesn't say. Going from that it looks like it may be #2 from '04 but I thought I'd double check to make sure. Can anyone confirm?

I did an SSX advert for the VotR after the split as well but I can't remember if that ever made the magazine or not tbh. It may have appeared in VotR SE #2 after doing a forum search just now but I don't have a copy of it to check. Does anyone else by any chance?
The ads aren't as major as the founding of a group or whatever but the magazines were a big part of NC back in the day, especially the NeMa (all thanks to SL33PY). Would like to include our little appearance if possible since we have a pic in our gallery to go with it :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:12 pm

SL33PY
the ones without a hash (#) were community released those with a hash were KK released i think

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:48 am

enlightened
Sounds like a wonderful undertaking! And a lot of progress already underway :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:11 pm

M.Steiner
Looks like the VotR magazine it appeared in was the June 2004 edition. Did some digging on my external HDD and found a file for "VotR01_05_2004_eng" which matches the #01 release date of May 24th 2004. The "VotR02_eng" file I have must've been the release after that. ~ Will edit it in to the list above in just a mo.
enlightened wrote:Sounds like a wonderful undertaking! And a lot of progress already underway :thumb:
There's so much info we could add to this too, all depends on how thorough we are and how deep we want to go with it tbh.
Whilst having a complete list of each and every group founding over the years would be impressive enough (and all of those should be included no matter how big, small or successful they were) I didn't want to just leave it there or do a half-arsed job. When you start getting into notable events from within the groups themselves (like the ones I've already started adding for NC & WoW:EU) and other stuff worth mentioning outside of them too.. the potential is huge really.
Tons more that needs adding ofc and dates are still needed for that list of divisions above too but we're off to a good start!. Looking forward to seeing how it all comes together :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:27 am

SL33PY
what does the neocron2 forum say? You could search it and search for all my posts ( Iorghe[KK] ) I usually made a thread for each magazine release

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 4:15 pm

M.Steiner
Yep, it was the official forum posts where I got the exact dates from ;)
You posted the release thread for "Voice of the Resistance 2" in Aug 2003. "Voice of the Resistance #2" was posted by Ronald Rodriguez in June 2004.
Since the 1.1MB filesize mentioned in your post is smaller than that of my file (1.98MB), coupled with the "VotR01_05_2004_eng" file I have backed up which matches the May 2004 release of #01 (when my number 2 file is called "VotR02_eng"). It seems safe to assume the issue in question was the 2004 #2.

As for whether or not our SSX advert ever appeared in the VotR (I definitely did the design for it as I keep all of my art files), I'm not sure. The only issues I've been able to check are #1, #2, SE#1 and Newsflash 1-3. It could still be in "SE #2" which I tried to get hold of a few years back thinking it could be in there but I've still not found that anywhere.
Anubis wrote:Have to agree re: the NeMas. I have a copy of all of them, and the VotR's too, printed off in a file that I read every once in a while.
^Quoted from the 2008 thread where I first mentioned SE#2
Anny, do you still have this file?. If so would you be able to check SE#2 for me when you have time (and the rest of the VotR mags if it's not in there, minus the ones I've checked myself) just to see?. It may not have actually made it in there to begin with but I'd rather rule it out than continue to wonder hehe.
If it did I can cross-check the issue number with the official forums to find a release date and I can easily recreate a digital version of the ad page. Can be another pic to add to our NC gallery too if so.
Thanks in advance and no big deal if you got rid of that file since. Not hugely important or anything :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:28 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:
Anubis wrote:Have to agree re: the NeMas. I have a copy of all of them, and the VotR's too, printed off in a file that I read every once in a while.
^Quoted from the 2008 thread where I first mentioned SE#2
Anny, do you still have this file?. If so would you be able to check SE#2 for me when you have time (and the rest of the VotR mags if it's not in there, minus the ones I've checked myself) just to see?. It may not have actually made it in there to begin with but I'd rather rule it out than continue to wonder hehe.
If it did I can cross-check the issue number with the official forums to find a release date and I can easily recreate a digital version of the ad page. Can be another pic to add to our NC gallery too if so.
Thanks in advance and no big deal if you got rid of that file since. Not hugely important or anything :thumb:
I definately still have printouts, not sure about the PDFs, but I'll check when I can. Won't be before I get back from Comic Con though, so remind me next week.

Whilst I'm posting, I'd also just like to say that I love this idea and am fully behind it - anything I can do to help, just ask. Hopefully when Comic Con is out of the way and I'm a bit less busy, I'll be able to put together some data for you and post it up here :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Shattered Star History - Input needed

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:37 am

M.Steiner
Awesome, ta mate (and that's fine, no rush!) :)
No worries if you don't have the PDFs themselves. If you manage to find it in your printouts (assuming it did make the mag) I'll upload a pic of the 3 SSX art files I have (since I made 3 different versions) and get you to confirm which version it was that appeared in the mag. It should be quick and simple enough to then lay that image over one of the VotR page backgrounds to look like the real thing. No biggie if it isn't in there though as it wasn't one of my best pieces of work heh, the SSC advert I did came out much better.

I've started adding a few other image references to some of the other events as well since we have pics in the gallery to back those up too, would be nice to include them somehow.
Like the day we killed Nef, and our weekly HM flashpoint runs in TOR. The idea being to include a link to one (or more) picture references like those within the detailed pop-ups for the event/year they're related to. Or maybe some tiny thumbnails at the bottom of those popup boxes which we could click to enlarge or something. That stuff is for much further down the road though!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:05 pm

M.Steiner
Any luck, Anny?
and does anyone have dates for the above SSC divisions? :)

Also do I leave FFXIV on the list for 2013 or remove it? Are you guys playing together? is SSX represented in the game somewhat?. QD seems to have stopped coming on IRC, sadly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 12:04 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Remind me tomorrow and I'll dig out the printouts. Sorry, this completely slipped my mind - things are fairly hectic lately.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:07 am

Zephir
Due to old age the memory is not so good and I really can't remember all the games I've played wiht SSC/SSX :shake:

Hard to believe I joined SSC back in March 2003 but there are a couple of games I played that haven't seen mentioned.

I was 'recruited' by Risen when we were both playing a little known game called Darkspace which surprisingly enough is still around.

Most notably I played SWG from launch until a little after the NGE with various members, and I've played Neocron, LoTRO, EvE, SWTOR, CN, MegaMek and D&D with various SSC/SSX members. and I've never played WoW.

I'm sure I could dust off the cobwebs in the deep dark corners of my brain and figure out some dates or something if I really had too.

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ahem. I checked the magazine printouts last weekend, though forgot to update here!

I don't have the SSX advert in any of my printouts, no, though looking through the pile I have a feeling there's one or two missing. It SHOULD be a complete set, since I did have them all printed at one point definitely, but something is niggling at me saying there's something missing.

So all in all, I don't think it's there - but I can't be 100% sure it's not in something that's gone missing!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 3:52 pm

Inquisitor
Fun :)
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:53 am

esd
The oldest Lore alpha installation file I have (yes, I still have them all!) has a datemark of 13th July 2004. It wasn't long after Ed got me onboard that I started pestering you lot. It's highlights (from an SSX perspective) would be Slacker & esd V All Comers, which Slacker and I won in Feb '06 and of course, the Mavlympics, in Oct '04.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:34 pm

M.Steiner
Cheers, esd. I'll add add those details to the OP later!. Also thanks again for looking too, Anny. Appreciate it :thumb:
Still need lots of dates and details for some of those SSC divisions I listed further up in Oct btw. There's still no rush but if anyone can help with some of those that'd be great :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:30 am

Anubis
Site Admin
I wasn't around for long enough with the SSC to be able to have any information about those I'm afraid - I pretty much joined 6-7 months before we split :(

One event that I did note which isn't on the list is the resurgence of FFXI in 2008. The group closed down for a while, but a few of us brought it back after a year or two's hiatus. The news system puts the date at "January 15 2008".

Return to “Members”