2011 Arbiter Election

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

2011 Arbiter Election

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:09 am

Stracius
Yep, it's that time of year again!

For any of our more recent members not familiar with what this is, or even our old members that have understandably forgotten, it's time to elect an arbiter for another year term.

What is an arbiter, you say? I'm glad you asked! If that wasn't clear enough, just ask any of our previous arbiters what they did during their term. Here's one now! Hey Stracius, what did you do for your two terms as arbiter?

"Twiddled my thumbs."

What, that's it?

"Yep, pretty much."

Why, you're useless! How did you get re-elected?

"Homemade chocolate chip cookies with a sprinkle of chicanery. It's great in coffee, too."

Oh, well that makes sense.

Now then, on to the details. Everyone has a chance to reply to this thread with any member or members - new or old, though preferably somewhat active - they wish to nominate for the position; you may nominate up to two people (but not the same person twice!). Once a member has received two nominations they will be automatically entered as a candidate, i.e. any attempt to nominate someone who's already received two is redundant and will be thus ignored.

After about a week I will be making a new thread where each candidate must respond with information about themselves, including favorite websites, movies, and whether or not they enjoy long walks on the beach (Pics or it didn't happen!).

Following this will be a thread dedicated to voting for the monk^H^H^Hember to be arbiter.

Have at it!

P.S. Yes this is for a ONE year term. As I stated last time this was brought up for consideration, any discussion for term length is a separate issue that will not be addressed while the election process occurs. Anyone is welcome to bring up the point again *after* the election concludes, as they were welcome to do last year. Which did not see enough interest in changing it, for anyone who may have forgotten. Which is why it's a ONE year term. Righty-o, carry on lads.

Nominated Thus Far:
Anubis
Messiah
Stracius
Mechanus
Isileth
Last edited by Stracius on Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: De-stickying

Re: 2011 Arbiter Election

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I hate you for hijacking the giant PM that will never die...

On a more relevant note, I nominate Stracius and Messiah.

Whilst it's true that the Arbiter has had very little do over the last four years, I am expecting that with TOR looking to be quite popular amongst us and being due out in the next few months they may have a busier year this time round! We shall see, but even if not I think that holding these elections on a yearly basis remains good for the community :)

EDIT - Changed this into a standard Announcement, because Globals aren't really obvious at all from the Forum Index. Might be an idea to create another thread as a Global pointing to this one, if we want a Global to be used?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:34 pm

BlueFlames
I nominate and support anybody with the ability and willingness to disable the PM-all and reply-all functionality.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
BlueFlames wrote:I nominate and support anybody with the ability and willingness to disable the PM-all and reply-all functionality.
Whilst I can do this, I'd rather not since it would also block use of the functionality for legitimate reasons. That said, if it continues to be abused I will do as at the very least a temporary measure. I do not know whether it will also disable Reply All though - that would be something we'd just have to wait and see on.

I did not realise that so many people would choose to use it in the way they have when I originally sent the "welcome to the new server" PM. I have continued to hope that it would just die out, but at the moment it seems people don't want it to :blank:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:06 pm

Stracius
Aww, don't be shy now peeps.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:09 pm

Ozone
KK then. I nominate you and Mess. Now there's 2 official candidates. :D
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:17 am

Whizbang
I am posting this of my own accord and there is not someone off-screen holding me at noodle point. I am saying of my own free will that I throw my name into the hat for the elections and am not doing this under duress. :shaking:

But seriously....I'm nominating myself.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 1:30 am

SSX-Ava
Mech, Isileth
Last edited by SSX-Ava on Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:37 am

Stracius
Volunteers are welcome - great to know who's willing and able. Still need to get 2 people to nominate you, though. Well, one and a half... Ava's missing some stuff upstairs.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Slacker
I'll nominate Mechanus as well.
<SSX-Anubis> Did you see the E3 trailer for Hot Pursuit btw?
<SSX-Anubis> That even has me a little tempted

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 4:35 pm

M.Steiner
I know Mech is more interested in just being a "grunt" as he put it on IRC yesterday but I had been thinking about nominating him as well actually. I see I wasn't the only one as he's already received the required 2 hehe :p

I nominate Padishar & Isileth. Neither have been in the position before and I think both have a good head on their shoulders. A good few multiplayer games on the horizon too which some of us have already pre-ordered so it's likely this year we'll actually need one.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

2011 Arbiter Election

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:30 am

Inquisitor
Blueflames and Messiah
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:20 am

SL33PY
strac and mech

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:40 pm

esd
Ozone wrote:KK then. I nominate you and Mess. Now there's 2 official candidates. :D
Wot 'e sed. Annietta and Messiah.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:42 pm

Kon
I'd like to voice my support for Mech's nomination as well.

As he's got more than enough support to get on the ballot, I'd like to nominate MS and Ava. Both are valued members of the community, have leadership experience, and somehow have never held the Arbiter position.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:50 am

Stracius
Alright, going to go ahead and wrap this up. We've got 4 candidates so far, and I invite each of them to post in the next thread about said candidates.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:57 pm

Messiah
Sorry for my tardy reply to this topic. Been a busy month.

Why hasn't Anny been nominated?

I nominate Anny.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

Return to “Members”