PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:36 am

QuantumDelta
What I want;

A Flask for Ava.
Our priests to be there. (SERIOUSLY).
Our druids to be there.
Our paladins to be there.
Our experienced hunters to be there.

All Healers will need mana pots, lots of pots, yes, really, lots. (YES NEED, ESPECIALLY Paladins).
Battle plan;

Basically as we had him, however;

20 MT Support.

Includes;

All Tranq-Capable hunters. (Pref 4).
1 Lock.
Ava.
5 priests.
4 pallies.
5 druids.

DPS Support.

15 DPSers.
2 Decurse Mages.
3 Cleansing Paladins.

These 5 people should be able to take care of the dps indefinately.
Mages; you are not that useful in this fight (same as most of the other fights in BWL unfortunately) so do pay attention on the decursing, it's the one, overly valuable thing you can do.

Now for the fun stuff;

Randomness
Many aspects of the Chromaggus fight are random, and learning to deal with and adapt to that random element will be a big part of mastering this encounter. Everyone should be aware of the various ways in which the fight can change, both from instance to instance and in real-time during the encounter, and recognize that we all need to maintain our focus and wits in order to deal with these changes.

Vulnerability
At all times during the encounter, Chromaggus will be highly vulnerable to a single school of magic (Arcane, Nature, Fire, Frost, or Shadow) and highly resistant to the other 4 schools. Apparently, his vulnerability will change in real-time during the encounter. Each time it shifts, it will be accompanied by an emote indicating that Chromaggus' skin "glistens". Each change is randomly determined, so that whenever his vulnerability changes, members of the raid must determine and then announce hew new one (preferably over TS, for the sake of speed) so that the raid may take advantage of it.

As with the vulnerabilities of the Death Talon Overseers and Wyrmguards, casters should beware that their hugely increased DPS when attacking using a school to which Chromaggus is currently vulnerable may result in danger of pulling aggro from the MT.

Frenzy
Chromaggus will periodically frenzy, doubling his melee DPS. When this occurs, it is accompanied by an emote as well as an increase in size and a glowing red aura effect above and in front of each of his two heads.

Hunters must employ a tranq shot rotation, as with Magmadar and Flamegor, to mitigate the effects.

Brood Afflictions
Periodically, Chromaggus will apply a randomly-determined Brood Affliction to all those within range. LoS is irrelevant for these Afflictions.

There are 5 Afflictions, corresponding to the colors of the 5 dragonflights and the 5 schools of magic. Each Brood Affliction is a debuff that may be removed via some form of player action, but otherwise lasts for 10 minutes.

Chromaggus always has access to all 5 Brood Afflictions; they do not vary from instance to instance, only by the (random) order in which they are applied. The Afflictions are as follows:
  • Brood Affliction: Black - Shadow (Curse) - Increases fire damage taken by 100%.
  • Brood Affliction: Blue - Frost (Magic) - Burns 50 mana per sec (causing damage), reduces casting speed by 50%, and reduces movement speed to 70% of normal.
  • Brood Affliction: Bronze - Arcane (N/A) - Periodically stuns the affected player for 4 sec. This stun effect may occur as often as once every 5 seconds. The only way we know of to remove this Affliction is to use Hourglass Sand, which is dropped by Blackwing Technicians. Due to the limited supply of this Sand, we will conserve as much as possible.
  • Brood Affliction: Green - Nature (Poison) - Inflicts 250 damage every 5 sec, and reduces all healing effects applied to the target by 50%.
  • Brood Affliction: Red - Fire (Disease) - Inflicts 50 damage every 3 sec, stacking up to 50 times. Also, whenever a player with this Affliction dies, Chromaggus will be healed for 150k HP.
Any player that has all 5 Afflictions applied simultaneously will be affected by the debuff "Chromatic Mutation". This debuff transforms you into the form of a Chromatic Draconid, mind controls you to attack the raid, and massively increases your resistances to all forms of magic so that you become highly resistant to them all. It lasts for 5 minutes, and cannot be removed.

Dealing with these Afflictions will require a combination of constant debuff removal for the Black/Blue/Green/Red colors (by paladins, druids, mages, and priests), good control of LoS to avoid the effects as much as possible, and judicious use of Hourglass Sand to remove the Bronze Affliction.

"Breath" Weapons
Additionally, for each instance Chromaggus will be equipped with 2 randomly-determined "breath" weapons. There are a total of 5 possible weapons.

Although they are called "breath" weapons, they operate on the basis of LoS rather than as a frontal cone AoE, which is the norm for breath weapons. The 2 weapons that Chromaggus will be able to use in a given instance are determined when the instance is first saved, and will vary from instance to instance.

Every ~30 sec, Chromaggus will use one of these weapons, and he will alternate between them as the encounter continues. The list of possible breath weapons, and their effects, are as follows:
  • Corrosive Acid - Nature - Applies a debuff that inflicts ~1000 pts of nature damage every 3 sec, and reduces the AC of the affected target by ~4500. Lasts 15 sec.
  • Frost Burn - Frost - Inflicts ~2000 pts of frost damage and burns ~2000 pts of mana (causing additional damage). Also applies a debuff that reduces attack speed by 80% for 15 sec.
  • Ignite Flesh - Fire - Applies a debuff that inflicts ~775 pts of fire damage every 3 sec. Lasts 60 sec, and stacks up to 10 times.
  • Incinerate - Fire - Inflicts ~4200 pts of fire damage.
  • Time Lapse - Arcane - Applies a debuff that stuns the target and reduces his health by 50% for 8 sec. Chromaggus will ignore any targets that are stunned by this effect until it wears off. In addition, in its current implementation, any target that resists this effect will be completely removed from Chromaggus' aggro table.
Note that none of the debuffs applied by Chromaggus' breath weapons are dispellable.

As Chromaggus prepares to use each breath weapon in turn, there will be an announcement and the majority of the raid will need to seek cover out of LoS with Chromaggus, to avoid the effects of the next breath. The current MT, and possibly the active MT healers as well, should be the only players hit by each breath.

Because Chromaggus is untauntable, when one of the active breath weapons for the current instance is Time Lapse, it will be important for multiple warriors to build aggro for the duration of the encounter, so that each time the MT is stunned by Time Lapse, Chromaggus will aggro onto another MT (who should, as with the rest of the raid, move out of LoS as the breath weapon is used). Also, because of the current aggro behavior when Time Lapse is resisted, it is important to have additional warriors ready to take aggro whenever the current MT resists its effects and has his threat level reset to 0.

As you can see, even when we've downed him it will be a long time before we can say "Chromaggus is on farm."

This week we have an exceptionally easy combination of breathes, I expect us to down him - If, the raid shows commitment.

If you stay within those lines (The line behind chromaggus for the DPS is a little bit too far over, note it should be where the metal work frame ends but you get the point) at breaths you'll be fine.

For TimeLapse, due to the agro mechanic of this move, EVERYONE Apart from the Off-Tank should be in Line of Sight for TimeLapse
Last edited by QuantumDelta on Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:37 am

Sofia
Conclusion of the first few attempts: Mutated Innos > SSX! :thumb:

Excellent writeup for the weeks ahead.

It took a very inspiring demonstration of dreamer to grasp the LOS principle, as the metal frame provides oh so much shelter :weird: seriously how can you NOT see this monster doggy? Additionally i belive many ppl had the doorway tankingspot in mind, like myself... i must say however, the ramp is just perfect.

The damn random nature of the Bronze brood affliction is a serious pain in the ass. Apart this luck based component, the fight is (at least this week) pritty straight forward & im confident we get him down if everyone is doing his job at his best.

Im missing one thing Zarg mentioned however: Chromaggus dps will increase significantly below 20%. No big deal if the healers stay aware, but it would be a shame to wipe when we got him this far.

Re: Chromaggus, Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:51 am

Galador
QuantumDelta wrote: 15 DPSers.
2 Decurse Mages.
3 Cleansing Paladins.

Mages; you are not that useful in this fight (same as most of the other fights in BWL unfortunately) so do pay attention on the decursing, it's the one, overly valuable thing you can do.
During yesterday attempts I noticed that we had some targets that were at times out of line of sight for us decursers. Standing on the edge helped decurse the healers at the risk of falling down (as happened to me yesterday). Decursing Ava is also quite hard from our assigned position. Should we therefore concentrate on decursing only the DPS or should we try decursing the healers/Ava as well?

AS for the rest, excellent guide - now that we have been on the spot and learnt the positioning, this guide simply reaffirms the simple concepts we need to master. Chromaggus is a fun fight that requires a lot of focus but we will down him. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:46 pm

Dreamer
Wont be there
Proel

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:57 pm

SSX-Andy
Working night monday/tuesday, so wont be able to be there. Not that it seems you need mages anyway.

Re: Chromaggus, Monday.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:01 pm

QuantumDelta
Galador wrote:
QuantumDelta wrote: 15 DPSers.
2 Decurse Mages.
3 Cleansing Paladins.

During yesterday attempts I noticed that we had some targets that were at times out of line of sight for us decursers. Standing on the edge helped decurse the healers at the risk of falling down (as happened to me yesterday). Decursing Ava is also quite hard from our assigned position. Should we therefore concentrate on decursing only the DPS or should we try decursing the healers/Ava as well?

AS for the rest, excellent guide - now that we have been on the spot and learnt the positioning, this guide simply reaffirms the simple concepts we need to master. Chromaggus is a fun fight that requires a lot of focus but we will down him. :thumb:
Only the DPS - The MT Healers can look after themselves (that's primarily what the druids, zargor and I were doing) and the MT.

We can't afford to have any lil drakonids running around.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:07 pm

Sondemon
Galador, if you were standing upstairs, your job is to take care of the ppl upstairs, the group downstairs should be self sufficient, taking care of themselves aswell as Ava.

Look on the picture to see where dps decursing guys should be standing, way back.

On another note, I noticed during one or more attempts that ppl were standning "above" Ava, on the upper parts of the picture. Towards the place where Chromaggus comes from. (Near where the text and color dot for Main tank and DPS is). Ppl don't really wanna stand there, as they are too far away from curing and healing..
There is a cow level, and it's called MULGORE!

"I can still hear the laughter echo, and the taste of blood in my mouth.."

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:53 pm

Galador
Thanks for the clarification - it is all perfectly clear what our role is, what to do and when to go in/out of LOS. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:21 pm

Deodrad
I can make it till 9.30pm server time unfortunately.
My 5 day holiday is over and i'm back to school so it will be difficult for me to stay longer.

I'll still be there if u need help withing that time though.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:14 pm

Meline
I will definately be there
Meline - 60 Human priest (Outland)
Buttran - Lvling, cute gnome lock (Outland)
Coldrey - 60 UD rogue (Grim Batol)
Rolling skills /300.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:35 am

Drongnel
I'm deffinatly available tonight :)
'I Thought what i'd do is i'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes'

Drongnel 60 Dorf hunter (Miner/Engineer)
Ank 38 Gnome mage (Engineer/Tailor)
Dinkl 38 Gnome rogue (Skinner/Leatherworker)
Tamburlaine 22 Dorf Pally (Miner/Blacksmith)
Fayed 20 Nelf Drood (Enchanter/Skinner)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:25 pm

Jarka
It helps to asign the hunters their own personal mage and paladin for debuff removal. Also it is helpful for the hunters + their debuff guys to stand behind a wall in the laboratory facing head on at chromaggus. They can go behind wall to go out of LoS. Just a small point that makes things easier.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:03 pm

Dreamer
The dedicated DPS de-curse/cleanse bots are already out of LOS, as pointed out in the plan/diagram.

And each hunter will NOT need a dedicated one, as those already dedicated to the entire DPS group should be doing them all anyway.. none of the debuffs (that can be removed) stop the hunters from trank shotting.

Whats the argument for taking a large portion of our mages/paladins off thier assigned tasks to dispell debuffs that dont cause any more threat to the hunters than they do any other member of the raid?

It just doesnt make sense.

If someone gets 'Mutated' its no more likely to be a hunter than it is anyone else...

*confused*
Proel

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:44 pm

Drongnel
I think he means a personal pally/mage for the group of hunters & the reason it's so important to keep your hunters alive in this fight, well if it's like the mag fight then the frenzy will cool down quicker than our tranq shot which means we have to work out a rotation of hunters to take turns to tranq & also if your tranq shot miss's then the next hunter in rotation has to tranq....so the real bare minimum is 3 hunters up at all times, 2 for the cooldown & 1 in case of a miss (or 4 hunters for comfort & of course the dreaded double miss :mad: ) or that frenzy goes un-checked & your looking at a raid wipe
'I Thought what i'd do is i'd pretend to be one of those deaf-mutes'

Drongnel 60 Dorf hunter (Miner/Engineer)
Ank 38 Gnome mage (Engineer/Tailor)
Dinkl 38 Gnome rogue (Skinner/Leatherworker)
Tamburlaine 22 Dorf Pally (Miner/Blacksmith)
Fayed 20 Nelf Drood (Enchanter/Skinner)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:58 pm

Dodotorpedo
Sjaak form Union told me that he always equips lots of +hit gear when tranc shotting, there's a blade named warmonger or something and it gives +3% to hit or something, might be usefull to get it just for this fight.

Return to “=EU= World of Warcraft- Outland”