SSX Org Bot

The world of Rubi-Ka awaits!

Moderator: Global Moderators

SSX Org Bot

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 1:29 am

Blue Star
Hate the standard org system and how you can't really do that much for it? Well you're gonna enjoy this :D

Very few people know this, but AO is very open to external scripts such as in PHP. The help lines, news flashes etc are all essentially PHP pages. Because of this, there's been a few orgbots (organisation bots) built. The best-development & most widely-used (and the one I finally managed to find) is the IGNbot.

IGN, once set up, can do quite a few things more than the standard org system. These include:
  • Enhanced chat - AFK/BRB, ability to create a guest channel for raids & can be controlled on it, general habits on said channel including kicks
  • Player Information - Lookup anyone on AO's database, see who in the guild's online ATM and even narrow it down to levels, professions or name
  • Calculations - Over-equipping limits, info for your level including mission, team & PVP limits
  • Guild note management - Write lists & define how they're displayed, write secret notes
  • Raffles & Rolling - Enough said really, but also logs results to ensure no rigging occurs
  • Guild news info - Useful for when everyone needs to know of events (AO Dance Video shoots, etc :D)
  • Leadership Board - For leaders to put short comments onto (e.g. for new members)
  • Private Messaging System - Same as private tells, but this'll hold for you when you're offline
  • Voting System - Lets leaders start polls, allows members to vote. Again, enough said.
  • Story/RP Logs - Probably useful is RPing but if I'm right can also be used for holding info on quests
  • Personal Inventory - Allows you to store links to your items in the database, allows others to see what's in your personal inventory.
  • Forum System - Not really needed as we have this :D but there if needs be for quick notes in-game
  • Automated Setups/Responses - Timers for raids, personal login messages
  • Link IGNbots together - Not useful ATM but if we go into PvP (especially if we take a city) and end up in an alliance this would allow us to take with one another as if one org
  • Raid Management - Put down routines, manage raid item auctions, quick commands in the heat of battle
And that's the basic stuff - A few plug-ins are also developed for adding more functionality into the stock IGNbot.

This is a decent thing to have, but there are a few buts:
  1. Obviously to be worth anything, the account the bot is on has to be logged in constantly. Luckily the client doesn't need to be used, but it will require a net connection up & online 24/7.
  2. A dummy character has to be created on that account for the bot. Luckily it doesn't need much, just has to be invited into the org (which means getting it to lvl2 and getting onto the mainland) and you can still play on another char while it's logged in :)
  3. Someone has to maintain it. Luckily the superadmin/admin do not need to be the same person who has the bot on their computer, but updating the bot with new stuff might be tricky.
I should hopefully be able to add useful plug-ins with co-operation with the bot owner, but other than that the bot owner would have to be someone who can keep their connection & their PC on 24/7 (can be shut down, but obviously the bot can't be used by others if not logged in)

So, just a few points :)
  1. What do you guys think about getting the orgbot in? :)
  2. Who's gonna volunteer to run the bot? :D

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 11:50 am

Athon Solo
I'll do some testing at home, but if this can run under linux and doesn't require too many resources, I may be willing to run it off of my webserver, which is obviously up 24/7 and on its own connection.

Athon Solo
Eve: Athon Solo - Gallente

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 12:15 pm

esd
A dummy character has to be created on that account for the bot. Luckily it doesn't need much, just has to be invited into the org (which means getting it to lvl2 and getting onto the mainland) and you can still play on another char while it's logged in
Actually you just need to get to the mainland. I've seen a few level 1 guys running into the subway :weird:
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:05 pm

Raa
And I've seen some lvl 10 guys on n00bar island. :weird: indeed...
Kono sekai ga kuchihatetemo. Zutto.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 3:05 pm

Athon Solo
Raa wrote:And I've seen some lvl 10 guys on n00bar island. :weird: indeed...
You can actually shoot the aliens running around in between the main area and the teleporter / recruitment area / ramp for some quite good experiance. I only killed one of the small ones, but apparently the large ones also give good XP.

Athon Solo

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 3:48 am

Raa
Yeah, I killed one when I was at lvl 5 (the small ones, I mean). The xp wasn't great, and it nearly killed me (in fact, it had killed me a few times, and me beaten it within 5% of it's life)

It got kind of boring after I killed all of the weirdly named animal bosses. So I went to the mainland.
Kono sekai ga kuchihatetemo. Zutto.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 12:08 am

SSX-Killjoy
I will play with this weekend. I have a server running with plenty of free resources.

I can easily give you access Athon via SSH to the server. If you have the windows client you can even use the ftp process built in to the client. :D
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:10 am

Athon Solo
I know - I use SSH & FTP over SSH on my server. Filezilla has FTP over SSH capability, which is cool. Unfortunately 90% of the programs out there that FTP can't FTP over SSH, which is a bummer, so I still have to run a bog standard FTP server.

Athon Solo

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2005 3:53 pm

Thalastian
I try to stay on Newb island till I am around level 8-9 because the Scout aliens you are speaking of drop alien technology weapons which are pretty nice at lower levels, that is if you have AI. At higher levels they are the only thing you can get XP from.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:10 am

SSX-Killjoy
Bot is up and running.. Although, where it is going, is beyond me.. Anyone have a clue about this thing?

Setup myself as the superadmin as I will need to have access to it when doing mods, but I put everyone who is currently a moderator on as an admin so you all have access to it.

I put everyone else who is listed on the org page as members. Not sure what else to do.

I am supposing this thing can act like a channel control, but not sure how.. Will have to do some more reading tomorrow.

Blue Star, do you feel comfortable with the IGN bot? If so, then I petition that he also be added as admin. He maybe able to make it do more than I can get it to do.. :-)

Also it does appear to that for the most part this was designed to run from a windows machine, so it is running of the same server I am using for the SSX Safari server in Lore. Shouldn't interefere with each other.. I hope.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 7:11 am

SSX-Killjoy
Athon, get with me on IRC so I can set you up an FTP account for access to the proggie..

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 12:46 pm

Blue Star
SSX-Killjoy wrote:Blue Star, do you feel comfortable with the IGN bot? If so, then I petition that he also be added as admin. He maybe able to make it do more than I can get it to do.. :-)
I've seen it in action and know how it works as an ex-user. I'll see what I can do with it.

BTW this bot is a little confusing at first. For one reason being because some of the commands are put in the org channel and some at PST'd to the bot char (like the News Wire messages - Read one and have a look at the command sent by clicking it).

I'll see about writing up a guide for members for the useful commands :)

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2005 6:35 pm

Athon Solo
SSX-Killjoy wrote:Athon, get with me on IRC so I can set you up an FTP account for access to the proggie..
Why do so many people need FTP access? All I said was that I would look at the possibility of running it off my webserver, but since you've already got one running there's obviously no need for me to do that now.

One thing I have to consider is that I'm off to Uni in september, and while the courses shouldn't (according to the tutors) take up any more time than my current full time job, I don't know how much and what kind of net access I'm going to have. I'll also likely want a part time job to fund myself. Plus you never know, I might finally get a social life =D

Athon Solo

Looking forward to:
Supreme Commander
Fallen Earth

Return to “Anarchy Online”