main page changes

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

main page changes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:49 am

SL33PY
Can somebody remove the closed groups and add Star Citizen group on our main page please

Groups to be removed:
  • Battlefield 3
  • Cyber Nations
  • FireFall
  • xbox live

Re: main page changes

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:20 pm

M.Steiner
Anny's the only one who can do this but it shouldn't take him long I don't think.
Not to speak on behalf of him but I know he's been quietly busy locally testing some changes to the main page already (the new buttons for Twitter & YouTube etc that will be going up top for one, as well as making the site itself friendlier on other devices as another example) but I expect he'll do this once he's finished with that stuff and roll them all out together :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:07 pm

SL33PY
I can't connect to irc from work and I spotted it; best way not to forget is dump it in a thread

upping the usage statistics of the forum that way too :sweat: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:08 pm

M.Steiner
Just to note that I've just archived the ESO section as well btw (to go with BF3, Firefall and SimCity that I did before I went to bed last night).
The forum never really got anywhere in 6 months and Gryph hasn't logged in for the same amount of time either so it isn't contributing much of a healthy, active attitude to our index page atm. Something we don't need if we're starting to attract new visitors. As such I've moved it over to the archive for the time being. If Gryph reappears or other peeps starting playing it we can always bring it back out again, nps there. I've left an edit in the forum itself incase he pops back sometime :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:21 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, I'll be rolling out main site updates later this week. And a few forum changes imminently because BD has motivated me :p

MS wants an update to the IRC Guide too, so I'll do that at the same time :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:16 pm

SL33PY
I guess I got a fresh wind in, let's keep this going!

also link m-s's flicker chan or even better, m-s make us a flicker channel
i'm sure we can dump images on it and then send it automagically to <censored> we throw at it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:41 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I hate you for the amount of work you're making for me. I hope you know this :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:09 am

M.Steiner
Tweeted my newly created Star Citizen Flickr album, SL33PY :thumb:
I'm pretty sure I saw a "link to Twitter" or whatever in my profile settings but I'll have a proper look tomorrow (or today rather). I'll be dumping the screenies in our own SSX gallery on the main site tomorrow as well most likely, since we still have that to make use of!

(Also tis just MS dude ;))

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:41 am

SL33PY
I use M-S since that's what I see in IRC :p :lol: ;D

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:01 am

M.Steiner
Aye, IRC wouldn't let me use a dot in my name so had to go with - instead lol. Sorry for the confusion :D

(Little story!: The "Maester Seymour" PPU I had in Neocron wasn't originally my character, it was my brothers on our shared account. He himself had him as an APU but stopped playing shortly before I joined the SSC Division. When I discovered the SSC though (and arranged for myself, Riccko & Cyma to join their ranks - we were all part of my tiny little guild you see), I knew the SSC needed PPUs so I lommed Seymour to one upon joining. As he quickly became my main character (and it was the forum name I signed up with) it wasn't long before I myself became known as MS along with it. I embraced the name though and once the nickname stuck I renamed myself to SSX-MS on the forums as people didn't tend to call me by the full name, just the shortened MS. I still use that as my alternate nick on IRC and other places, like the flickr page above. It is also my handle for Star Citizen.

After many years though I thought I'd rename what it represented, so to speak - To still be known as MS in short but change what it actually stood for (since anyone joining since the day I changed my tags from Maester Seymour to SSX-MS wouldn't have have a clue). I'd recently fell in love with the Monster anime at the time and one of my favourite characters in that was known as the Magnificent Steiner. Having magnificent in my name seemed a little silly though and MSteiner didn't read aloud too well, so I worked it to M.Steiner instead which I thought looked kinda nice. So now I still have MS in my name but it's from something I picked myself heh)

:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:29 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
The main site has now been updated content wise.

The social icons have also been integrated, and the layout fully rewritten to be completely responsive. We should be far more accessible to other devices now :)

Forum changes next! If anyone spots any issues, let me know!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:19 pm

SL33PY
we love you anubis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:58 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Forum changes applied. I need to rewrite this skin.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:18 pm

M.Steiner
Awesome job dude. Your efforts are appreciated as I said on IRC yesterday! :thumb:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:33 am

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:If anyone spots any issues, let me know!
I appear to have found one.
border.jpg
layout2.jpg
logout.jpg
Also does it when making (or editing) a post.
One of those edits you made to do with the displaying of screenshots I'm guessing?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:22 am

SL33PY
can you href "https://plus.google.com/+ShatteredstarOrg/" on the google plus link?
can you target "_blank" on all the new social media links?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:34 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Ugh. Yes, that styling issue will be to do with the screenshot fix. Something I was trying last night, but I didn't see that behaviour.

Can you tell me what browser (and version) you're seeing that behaviour in MS? Think I probably have a fix but can't apply it till tonight. Might need to get you to retest later if that's ok, if I can't replicate it myself!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:26 am

M.Steiner
Firefox (32.0.3 when I posted and I've just updated to 33.0 and it's the same) :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:19 pm

SL33PY
happens in chrome too (when browsing forum and clicking on a sub forum the left side is duplicated for the row)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Styling issue should now be fixed. Could you guys give it a retest? Fine locally, but just want to be sure :)

EDIT: Social icons change also done.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:11 pm

M.Steiner
Seems to be ok now :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:18 am

SL33PY
Lookin mighty fine chap!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:06 pm

M.Steiner
So what's up next? The social media share buttons? :)
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:04 pm

SL33PY
they are already there??? :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:09 pm

M.Steiner
The buttons at the top of the site just link to our other sites, they don't "share" content.
I mean the ones we're adding to the forum where we can click to share a particular post or thread to Facebook or whatever. - I was thinking it would be a good idea to have the share buttons on the main site news as well, along with our gallery too if possible. All 3 would direct people back to the site, so you could go onto our main page and "share" a news item, or share a particular screenshot from the gallery. Just an extra idea though, forums will be the main thing.
I may have a look in PS and see what adding the word "share" besides each of those 3 share buttons looks like just incase people get them mixed up or don't understand that that's what they're for. I shall do that shortly! :)

[Edit: Done]
Sprite ready for you, Anny. Each image is 56x19 :thumb:
Can do them with a rollover effect as well if you'd prefer? Just lemme know.

I had another idea btw..
Know on some sites where they have those sexy widescreen images which you can click between? Similar to those little square rotating images we have on the TOR & MWO sites but bigger? Like this. Might it be possible to have one of those on our main site (in that middle content box I guess) which could maybe rotate between the last 3 (or more) screenshots we added to the gallery? Getting rid of the SOTD.
Or would that be too much work and better left for if/when we completely revamp our site and go with a new look? :)

Return to “Members”