Exiles

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Do you think we should keep the "Exiles" part of our name or remove it?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:39 am

I believe the group should continue to be known as "Exiles" ~ Keep the Exiles tag
38%
I don't believe the group should continue to be known as "Exiles" ~ Remove the Exiles tag
33%
I don't care either way
29%

Total votes: 24

Re: Exiles

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Zephir
At the end of the day things are very rarely decided by a clear majority, just by a majority of those that actually voted. In a 3 way vote the chances of achieving even a majority of the votes cast is slim.

Feel free to hold all the discussions you want, but under the terms of the voting as created, the option to keep the name is clearly the option that won. Claims about the lack of a majority are irrelevant to the vote that was conducted, and if you want we can have a nice long discussion on the principals of democracy and the various forms of voting. But at the end of the day THIS vote has been decided.

I chose not to post any comments in the voting thread as I was not interested in trying to sway the vote one way or the other, also I might point out that it's actually traditional to have the discussion/campaigning BEFORE actually having the vote.

The comments I've seen about interpreting "don't care votes", and interpreting the "majority", disturb me deeply because they go against the fundamental beliefs that founded this group.

I might also add that suggestions such as creating a new thread with a list of alternative names and voting on the names are merely an attempt to ignore the result of this vote, and take me right back to the days of the SSC and many of the arguments I personally had with Risen and others over interpretation of the ideals and who should decide what those ideals mean and how they should be implemented.

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:24 pm

Stracius
Zephir wrote:I might also add that suggestions such as creating a new thread with a list of alternative names and voting on the names are merely an attempt to ignore the result of this vote, and take me right back to the days of the SSC and many of the arguments I personally had with Risen and others over interpretation of the ideals and who should decide what those ideals mean and how they should be implemented.
Zeph.
Something else I forgot to clarify. I accept the result of the vote. It's done. To throw it out would be to tell everyone who did participate that their time and consideration was worthless. My concern is if such an even split merits further consideration of the issue at hand (this time simply being the name), or if we should write off any further discussion until x number of days have passed. I'd rather not see a group of people become sore because of one vote.

Then again, I'm probably doing everyone here a disservice by thinking that might happen. We're all fairly reasonable adults, after all.

I'm not supportive of the idea of voting for alternative names, either. No point in talking about crossing a bridge when we aren't even walking toward it yet. I can understand that it may be an attempt to reach a middle ground, but I think it is misguided.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:54 pm

M.Steiner
hmm
Been thinking about this and given some of the replies since the poll ended.. maybe, just for a happy life and environment, it'd be best we just passed this result and put any other discussions on the backburner, for now.

but
Stracius wrote:The simple fact that we are so closely divided should inspire both sides to realize that further discussion is needed, if not necessary, to maintain the reality that we are a community.
^ This.

I'll happily accept that the result of this poll was that "keep" won, even if was by 1 single vote a piece. I didn't dispute this.. just think it's too close to push through one way for the group.. But, I hope everyone can at least agree just how divided this discussion and poll has been, and much more split than the last time we talked about this. This was divided almost evenly 3 ways and was far from being a majority group decision to keep. Not.even.close.
Anyhow, this has been way too split to just leave alone for good and brush under the carpet. It deserves further discussion and should be revisited at some point but maybe not just yet given some of these replies. Though I hope if/when this time comes it is someone else who decides to speak up rather than BD or myself again.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:57 pm

Zephir
I would suggest that the way forward is this.

Stop thinking about voting on changing the name.

Stop thinking about voting on new names.

In fact just totally stop thinking about having a vote on the issue, as it only serves to polarize opinions.

Instead stop and think.

Think about what does this group mean to you and to others.

Think about what this group represents.

Think about how you would like this group to be perceived.

Think about how this group is perceived by others.

Think about our name, and our website design, our actions, and our philosophy (as stated on the main site), reflect what we are about.

Think about FRIENDSHIP.

Then share those thoughts and promote a free and open discussion about the various factors that affect how we perceive ourselves and how we are perceived by others.

From this discussion maybe we will reach a consensus that we need to change some things or that we don't, and if so what those changes might be. At the very least maybe we will learn more about friendship, and about our friends here.

Zeph.
"You're scared of mice and spiders, but oh-so-much greater is your fear that one day the two species will cross-breed to form an all-powerful race of mice-spiders who will immobilize human beings in giant webs in order to steal cheese." - Spaced (1999)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 1:32 am

Ozone
Stracius wrote:Right. That's it. Next up is 7 matches of Dark Horizons: Lore. Those for changing on one team, those against on the other. May the best team win. Could there be any better way to resolve a dispute on a site dedicated to gaming? :p

Those abstaining have to bring cookies. And if the abstainers win, group gets renamed to SSXC (Shattered Star Exiled Cookies). Because.
SH*T! Did I miss the fight? Was ready to pull Herbie outta the mothballs and power up to fight on the side of baked goods, or abstain from fighting for baked goods. Or, by abstaining was I supposed to bake? These name change discussions are confusing, glad they're over.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:30 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Crap! I always ADHD out for the good stuff.

What if we were just The Shattered Star?

That would lead an unfortunate tag though...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:09 pm

NF
Arbiter
Really didn't think this would get as heavy as it has. I voted for keep but I would now rather vote for calm.

Peace.
NF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Since this has now calmed down somewhat, on my own part at least, I'd like to just add something before this is condemned to history.

As much as I do not agree with the proposal, on the back of this vote I feel the issue of name change needs to be revisited at some point in the future. I think there needs to be a suitable period before that occurs, considering the results of this vote, but with the results being so close I don't think it would be feasible (let alone fair) for us to try and say that this result is "the final result". Any proposal would still need to pass a public vote of course, but with opinion so split it should at the very least get another opportunity to make its case. Whilst I'm not in favour of a "just keep asking until they say yes" approach, when opinion is so close I do not think proposals can be closed off definitively.

This has been a very emotive issue for many of us, and I don't think that would change were this to be brought up again. But that's no reason for us to avoid the issue in future. It is better that we debate these issues that are clearly so important to us. For now, one side has won this argument. Those whose side lost though should not think that this means any chance to make their case again has forever gone.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:44 am

SL33PY
I'd say a "What should our name be if the exiles name would no longer be viable poll" in the foreseeable future is an option. After that a poll can be launched between "result of the previous poll" or "keep the old name". Plain and simple, and no middle ways, no room for interpretation of the results.

my 2 cents

Return to “Members”