Arbiter Election v.2010 | Nominations

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Arbiter Election v.2010 | Nominations

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:50 am

Stracius
I'm a bit late on this as it slipped my mind as to what month we just entered. I am happy to report, however, that the role of arbiter (and my term occupying it) has been absolutely useless for the past year. No member bans, no lynchings, no falling of the hammer. Now it's time for everyone to cinch their belts in a bit and peer at each other in <censored> anticipation. That's right, it's Arbiter election time. Now on to the blatant plagiarism:

Obviously[?], we're all [mostly] familiar with the [nomination] process. Everyone can nominate up to 2 people, and those people who are nominated twice get onto the ballot. Nominating those already on the ballot is not a problem - just bear in mind that nominating them will no longer make any difference due to them already having been selected [and may cause you to look the fool].

Nominations will run for a week to a week and a half as normal. The candidates will once again be asked to make a post about themselves and why they would/would not make a good Arbiter over a several day period following the close of nominations. Once that is done, we will carry out the vote.

Think through your nominations wisely everyone.

Nominations so far:
Stracius
Anubis
Messiah
Inquisitor (Ed)

Re: Arbiter Election v.2010 | Nominations

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:13 pm

M.Steiner
I am happy to report, however, that the role of arbiter (and my term occupying it) has been absolutely useless for the past year. No member bans, no lynchings, no falling of the hammer. Now it's time for everyone to cinch their belts in a bit and peer at each other in <censored> anticipation. That's right, it's Arbiter election time.
Not saying we should definitely do this but maybe it'd be worth us considering leaving the position empty this time around rather than nominating for the sake of us having someone in the spot each year? Open Arbiter nominations again when we hopefully have a new (TOR being most likely next year) group on the go, when we'd be introducing lots of new folk, this place would obviously be much more active by then and could really do with having one again? Could just stick with having mods in the meantime (maybe add a few more of those if needs be or rotate slightly) (And we could always open nominations again before then if we needed.)
Not saying the position is totally useless right now either as you can't predict what may happen and maybe it's a terrible suggestion to even think about for some but comparing our current status to how lively this place was 4 years ago for example and the dry up of new games for us to get groups going in, the Arbiter position was completely justified and needed back then but not as much with no multi to get excited about. I would say there has been more interest shown for TOR here and on IRC than there has for any other MMO since WoW so chances are that's the best chance we've had in a long time.
Just throwing that thought out there. :)

[And i'll just say in advance that whilst I appreciate anyone thinking about nominating me I'm not up to being on the ballot again, not just yet :)]
Anyway here are my nominations: Padishar / Stracius :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Isileth
My view is we only need one if there is an actual job to do.

However I have been hoping for a while now people would get out of the mentality that "Oh the next game on the horizon will be the one, everyone will play that and we will get new members then". How long have we been saying that? Each time a game people are excited about comes along we get maybe a handful that stick it out more than a month or two with no recruiting done to keep it going.

While I know its not the arbiters job it appears someone needs to try and take some action (if that what everyone else wants of course) or we could be in this slump for a while. If we are happy to wait for one of the big mmos to hit then im not really sure the position is required although there seems no harm in having it anyway.

I will leave my nominations blank for the mo but if anyone wants to try and get even a few more new faces in they have my backing there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:19 pm

Ozany
My 2 cents:

The arbiter position is extremely useful when the time arizes, if none happen, then it was a boring position for that year. Our current activity level tend to show that one overall arbiter may not be required at this time. We could simply leave the position vacant and see if the individual groups (ie. those still in groups of some fashion) can moderate their own. Maybe bump moderator numbers of each forum a couple to aid in control of those particular forums. If it doesn't work, we hold an election and put one member in the arbiter spot.

Speaking solely from the eve online perscpective as that is the only group I am active with, we tend to handle things internally rather well and refer memebrs to the founding ideals/charter of our great community if a conflict arises. And if the item/action is not specifically covered under the writings, we seek assistance as needed. This is rarely the case for us though. Between myself, Judd, Strac and Winbrian we have been able to handle everything so far in game (please correct me if I am wrong on this point, as I sometimes am)

Just my 2 cents

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 3:49 pm

M.Steiner
Isileth wrote:However I have been hoping for a while now people would get out of the mentality that "Oh the next game on the horizon will be the one, everyone will play that and we will get new members then". How long have we been saying that? Each time a game people are excited about comes along we get maybe a handful that stick it out more than a month or two with no recruiting done to keep it going.
Aye this is true and I'm guilty of it myself. My way of trying to stay hopeful and positive really. Know we've had a few games over the past few years that some people have shown an interest in but the group has either gone inactive soon after, hasn't appeared to be much of a recruitment drive or never really got going in the first place but I still believe/hope TOR will change that.

My way of looking at it is that there's normally only a small handful of folk that show interest in an upcoming MMO, some which don't even get past beta but already there seems to be far more interest for TOR than there has been any of the other games in the past. What I believe is slightly different this time is that several of those showing interest have already had plenty of recruiting experience in past groups of ours which has not always been the case with previous games or it has only had 1 or 2. I don't even like Star Wars but I intend on giving it a try for this reason. In my experience these people are a key foundation to a successful group. That and being active enough for new people not to be logging on to nobody most of the time.
If TOR lives up to the hype and such a group is started which also has the backing of said folk who could all pull their finger out and work as a team rather than it being the sole responsibilty of one or two people, and we're active enough for new recruits to stick around and have people to play with then I do believe TOR has the potential to be a great group for us and the best chance we've had for bringing new blood to the SSX for a long time. This is my view anyhow. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 6:15 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mmmm, whilst I can understand the debate on this I am personally of the opinion that we should continue to appoint the Arbiter regardless of our activity-level. Better us do it and have someone in the position, than have an unforseen situation come up where we need the Arbiter and have to wait a week to hold an election before we can deal with it.

With that in mind, my nominations are Stracius and Messiah.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:16 pm

Stracius
My thought runs similar to Anny's. Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Isileth wrote:Each time a game people are excited about comes along we get maybe a handful that stick it out more than a month or two with no recruiting done to keep it going.
That's because the games all sucked. And we're turning into old farts. And by we, I mean Ed and most everyone else aside from me. :nervous:
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:45 am

Ozone
Well, its been quite quite in the halls of late. I'll throw in my 2 cents...

Think it's good to have an overall arbitrator/arbiter for the general forums. But we do have a lot of diversified interests. For example, I never view the anime threads, football treads, or non-relavent game threads. If I were one of two arbiters I'd have no interest in these areas and may not understand any conflicts arising in them.

So...

Take one with far reaching wisdom (we may have to hire out ;) ). That person will arbitrate the general forums (General, Lifestyle, Members) and be head banhammer... er, the one with wisdom to wield the hammer of justice throughout the halls.

Then, nominate, based on on-line time, interaction, and involvement, a sub-arbitrator for each primary interest/game. I can see in the near future TOR and GW2 revitalizing the posting a considerable amount. So, subs would include anime, football, WoW, EVE, GW2, TOR, etc... The sub would be a trusted member with a vested interest in the SSX and his/her relevant area. He/she would be trolling their specific region all the time. He/she would act not only as arbiter, but primary moderator of the forum. Multiple moderators would not be necessary.

The subs would each have an understanding of their forum via experience. They would handle minor disputes within their forum. Any dispute which could not be resolved (I see this as a rarity aside from the odd new member) would be communicated to the primary arbiter. This would assure vested interest in SSX and game/forum, would not be too tedious for those involved, and save a lot of hassle as opposed to 'two overlooking all, understanding some'.

Sure, its a few extra folks, but think this would make the world an easier place, and really, it wouldn't be that complex.
Last edited by Ozone on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:03 am

Stracius
Ozone wrote:it wouldn't be that complex.
I disagree, if only because of the length of your post indicates. There's no need. Group or global moderators can handle most problems, and do. If the arbiter needs to act, and doesn't know the issue well enough, then they can speak to the mods involved to get any relevant information needed to make a decision. I can't say I favor making things more complicated than they have to be, which is what I believe your suggestion might end up doing.

I nominate Blackdove.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:02 am

Ozone
Stracius wrote:
I disagree, if only because of the length of your post indicates. There's no need. Group or global moderators can handle most problems, and do. If the arbiter needs to act, and doesn't know the issue well enough, then they can speak to the mods involved to get any relevant information needed to make a decision. I can't say I favor making things more complicated than they have to be, which is what I believe your suggestion might end up doing.
I nominate Blackdove.
Soz, my bad, using a mountain to describe a molehill.

To simplify, make one forum moderator the forum arbiter. Make one primary 'overall' arbiter to resolve particularly difficult disputes.
Ozany wrote: Speaking solely from the eve online perscpective as that is the only group I am active with, we tend to handle things internally rather well and refer memebrs to the founding ideals/charter of our great community if a conflict arises. And if the item/action is not specifically covered under the writings, we seek assistance as needed. This is rarely the case for us though. Between myself, Judd, Strac and Winbrian we have been able to handle everything so far in game
So, Oz (the other one :) ), Judd, Strac, or Win would become the arbitrator for the EVE group, would know how to resolve disputes within, (knowledge of the players and events), and only seek the higher up when required. Almost no change of the current situation and there would be one established official voice for the forum.

If my suggestion were considered, I wouldn't mind arbying the GW2 forum when the time came around.

Regardless, and in reference to a universal arby of the topic, I'll hold my vote until I see who's available or who wants to fill the roll.
Last edited by Ozone on Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:17 am

Stracius
Ozone wrote:Regardless, I'd like to see who's interested in general arbying before I vote, don't know who's available or who wants to fill the rolls.
Nominate first, ask questions later :) If someone's not available to fulfill the role, they can indicate so here, or in the soon to follow nominee "Dear god, why me?!" thread.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:47 pm

BlackDove
Stracius wrote:

I nominate Blackdove.
I was hoping that the thread would just go away if I pretended it didn't exist.

I nominate Anubis and Stracius.

A vote for experienced men that have held this position.

You can't argue with that.

And what splendid work they did. I didn't hear of one bad thing happening while they were in power.

SIXTY FOUR MORE YEARS, SIXTY FOUR MORE YEARS!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:30 pm

Inquisitor
Strac and Anny
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:16 pm

esd
Messiah and Ed.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:38 pm

Messiah
Weren't we going to make this a two year term?

Ed and esd.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:10 pm

Stracius
It was discussed, but I did not see enough argument for it that gave me reason to consider the need to put it to a vote. We can revisit the issue, but I would prefer to wait for the next Arbiter's term to start before attempting to make any policy changes.

On that note, I'll go ahead and start a thread for those nominated to provide some info about themselves. If anyone would like to actually volunteer for the position *cough*crazy*cough*, I'd like to invite them to make a post. Chances are high they will find a minimum of two people willing to nominate them should interest be shown. Any members who haven't been nominated in the past are more than welcome to join the process, we're not an exclusive club here :)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:15 am

Padishar
BTW wanted to apologize for chiming in a bit too late on this...

I sold my gaming rig a few weeks ago and have finally just now
rubbed 2 pennies together and sedated my girlie long nuff
to buy a new Rig :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:54 pm

Stracius
Eh, it is not too late. Nominations can continue until the vote goes up. You looking to enlist? :)

Return to “Members”