Arbiter vote

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Arbiter vote

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:01 pm

Inquisitor
Well, not JUST yet.

I want to do two things before kicking off this year.

1) I want to talk esd and MS into standing for election, I think they overestimate the time commitment.

2) I want each of the nominees to post what they think their best attributes are that suit them for the job, and what their worst ones are. Basically, why should you vote for them, and possibly more importantly, why you shouldn't.

Humility is often absent from politics ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:05 pm

Inquisitor
I'll go first:

Why should you vote for me:

I have been doing this for 3 years. I have experience, and I may succeed more often than I fail.

Why you should vote for someone else:

I have been doing this for 3 years. You do not want to have me as the default choice, establishing some sort of "SSX Dynasty," you want fresh blood in office, fresh perspectives.

You want someone without the baggage of those failures that we have had.

Anny has the web experience and a level head, he has been doing a great job with the various web work we need, and is generally a nice guy. He moderates IRC fairly, and has run his own forums in the past with success.

Messiah is the cool, reasonable one. Quiet, pragmatic, friendly, and has helped in many, many issues over the years.

Killjoy knows the servers and the people. He can probably predict people as well as anyone here and has the respect necessary to get the job done.

esd brings his pragmatic english flair, a strong sense of right and wrong, and he's not afraid to tell people when they are doing something stupid.

MS leads people in every game he plays, he represents some of the best qualities we have come to associate ith the SSX. He is fair and honest.

All of these people would make excellent Arbiters. Its not often you can look at the field and say "wow, this is a hard choice."

That makes me happy.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Ok, a bit about my pros and cons then.

I'm an active part of the community. I'm on IRC whenever I have my computer turned on (everyday) and browse the forums multiple times a day. I may not always post in some forums aside from when I feel it is necessary, but I do make an effort to keep up with reading them, so I do try to keep myself aware of everything going on, a quality which I feel is important for the role of Arbiter.
My e-mail address is also fairly public throughout the site, being on the main page and all, and I'm always open for anyone to drop me a line either there or through PM if I'm not around when needed. I also aim to be approachable, so hopefully people will feel comfortable in coming to me if and when you have an issue, but that is something you'll have to judge for yourselves.
Suffice to say I try to be as active as I can be, and hence should be on the scene quickly if there is a problem, or just around and willing to lend an ear if there is a private matter.

As for what I consider my downsides, experience is the big one. I may have run my own websites before but admittedly they have been pretty calm experiences. It was very rare for me to have to step in and deal with an incident, though it did happen occasionally, and hence I don't have the experience in dealing with large problems that others on the ballot have. I will give my all to solving any problem that comes up certainly, but if something big comes up my lack of experience could be a negative.
I also hold strong opinions, meaning that if there is something I strongly do or do not agree with I'll fight for it as hard as I can. Whilst technically this could also be seen as a good thing by some, it does mean that admittedly in some cases it makes it difficult for me to be objective what with my disagreeing so strongly with someone else's opinion. Whilst this doesn't mean I'd refuse to take the opinion on board or go along with a majority decision because I didn't like it (would never happen), it does mean that some situations could occur where the Arbiter would be less than impartial.

Overall, like any person I have both my faults and my strengths. I can't promise that I'll do as good a job as Inquisitor has done if you choose me, but I can promise to give it my all and work hard to do the job well. If you vote for me, my thanks to you for putting that trust in me. If elected I'll try not to let you down :)

As for those others on the ballot, I'd agree with Ed that every one of them would make a good Arbiter - each of us has our own strengths and weaknesses as Ed has outlined which gives people a fairly diverse choice as to what kind of Arbiter they want to have, which is very nice to have in an election. For some issues such as time will be crucial to who they vote for, whilst for some experience may be more so. Whatever inclinations you may have about who you want as your Arbiter there is certainly at least one candidate in this list for you. Use your vote when the time comes, and whatever the result we will come out of this election with a good Arbiter.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:16 am

Messiah
I hate doing this stuff.

In my last 10 years online I have made a concerted effort to remain neutral in the face of division and controversy. Even when my feelings have been partisan, I have endeavoured to understand and moderate the complications that often beleaguer online communities. I prefer to handle disputes as privately as possible, protecting the egos and reputations of those involved. I believe that this community should be home to as many good people as possible, and I think that with a little understanding and patience, most of us can see our common goals. This place is my home, and has been for some time. I want the best for it and have always been willing to do what is needed.

But I am not one online much of the time. I stay in constant contact with these forums, but I do not spend much time in irc. I join a gaming community infrequently, and have not found one which can command more of my time for a while now. Because of that, I tend not to meet many of our newcomers. While I am a moderator here, most of the moderation I have done has been in private: I rarely moderate a thread. I am more likely to be dovish than hawkish in my approach as arbiter. I prefer to offer the benefit of the doubt rather than presume trouble - a position which has been proven wrong before.

You'll get fairness from me, even if it means that Inquisitor needs a spanking, but you may not always feel like I am around, even though I am.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:40 pm

SSX-Killjoy
Hmm.. What to say..

I have to admit I am flattered to even be nominated. I don't consider myself anywhere on tier with Inquisitor. I am certainly not the socialite, as most of you probably haven't even heard from me in a long time. I love to play games, but I don't always have time to play.

So I guess I should start with my short comings:
1) Time --
This is a big issue for me. I tend to get my time chewed up between work and family and lately have had less and less time for gaming and even being here for you guys. In fact there have been times when something needed to be done, and it took me a few weeks to get to it on the server side.

It didn't used to be this way. I used to play games a lot. I had and was playing or had accounts in every game that the SSX had groups for. I look forward to the time that I can do that again. I think that the SSX needs some new groups to revigorate the spirit that brought so many of us here.

2) I am hands down, a programming geek --
I do well dealing with servers, and programming languages. I generally do well in interactions with individuals, but I have been known to blow a gasket from time to time. Unlike Inq who seems to have the patience of a god. I have put myself in many situations that perhaps would have been better left alone, but I felt it was important to have it dealt with.

Although I have to admit most of those that know me, do seem to have a good repor with me. As well as having many long term friends in and out of the SSX. So maybe I am not so much of an introvert as I claim I am.

Now for the Pros --

My only real pro is that I love the SSX. I have been here for a very long time, and when I play games this is where I always come for friends. I would do everything I can within my powers to help make the SSX better than it has been. I would never let the SSX die. It has been the source of much happiness in my life, and I don't ever want to see it not be there.

If I am chosen Arbiter, I will gladly redirect my time to ensure that I have the time that is needed to be the Arbiter. But whether I am elected or not, I will continue to serve the SSX to the best of my abilities from the behind the scenes as I have done for so many years.

Again, I can not appreciate it enough that I was nominated. It was truly unexpected, and puts a smile on my face everytime I think about it. You all are and will always be, my greatest friends.
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.
================================

Return to “Members”