Arbiter Nominations

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Arbiter Nominations

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:52 pm

M.Steiner
As planned, it's time for this years Arbiter nominations.

Same as we have done in the past; 2 nominations gets you on the ballot. You can't nominate yourself (though if nominated and on the ballot, you can vote for yourself if your conscience allows it).
(1-2 nominations each like we've done before too)
Think about your nomination/s carefully, they will run for a week and be followed by the final vote. :)

-People with 2 nominations-
Anubis
Inquisitor
Killjoy
Messiah
Last edited by M.Steiner on Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:14 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
My nominations are Inquisitor and esd.

Inquisitor because he's done a fantastic job for the last few years and I'm sure would continue to do so if he is elected and accepts the role.

As I said in the other thread, normally I'd immediately think of KJ for my second nomination, but I know that he's very busy with work atm and hence hasn't been around that much. This issue for me is the same for all of the 'front runners' that I'd immediately think of next, with them being either tied up with whatever time committments they may have, or them simply not being around enough for me to support them having the role.

Again, as I said in the other thread, esd is around regularly on IRC, already a global mod for the forums, and is one of the people I will go to with any issues that I might have and feel comfortable he'll be able to give me good advice on whatever the issue might be. To me, he'd certainly be a good choice.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:36 pm

M.Steiner
My nominations are Anubis & esd.

Normally i would have immediately nominated the same people i usually do, but this time i decided to think outside the box and consider how much certain people are actually around to be able to deal with such things and how busy they are. A comment firedancer made last year also made me decide to think about it some more "(maybe stupid statement in the end, but it would be nice if SSX does not allways rely so heavily on the same small group of ppl)"

After giving it some thought i came to the conclusion that both Anubis & esd would both be good choices for the Arbiter position. Although i can't say esd is one of the people i go to for advice like Anny has said (I often go to anny though), i feel they are both approachable, both are responsible people that already do work on our websites & moderate our forums. And most of all, both of them are present on both irc and the forums on a regular basis so i know i could get hold of them if/when they were needed.

Just to note; Inquisitor has done a great job as Arbiter since we founded this place and i have no doubt he will continue to do so if he stays in the position and i'd be perfectly happy if that's the case. The only reason i didn't nominate Quiz is because i thought i would give someone else the chance at getting on the ballot as i know he'll have no problem there and i thought 1-2 nominations was enough without increasing it to 3 hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:07 am

BlackDove
Quizzer, Messiah.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Chimera
I nominate Messiah and Killjoy.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:14 am

SSX-Hawk
i nominate Quiz and esd
In exile a home has been found.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:30 am

Stracius
What? No names that I don't recognize? Doesn't quite fit outside the realm of people we usually rely on.

Anyone wanna be brave and volunteer a person that not necessarily all of us know *cough*morerecentlyjoinedmembers*, but would still do a kickass job? (I would, but haven't been too active lately and am unfamiliar with many of our members :( ).
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:50 am

Inquisitor
MS and Stracius ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Messiah
Chimera and Killjoy.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:16 pm

esd
Ok, I'm going to be as subtle as a brick here - doesn't an arbiter need to be here on a pretty frequent and regular basis?

Messiah - be great for the job, he's a top bloke - but we don't see him very often - least, not in General and not in IRC.
Chimera - Same as Messiah really.
Killjoy - busy as hell and so not very active.

Even I'm thinking of having my name withdrawn because I'm not sure if I can dedicate the time and activity that'd be needed, which'll depend on what Ed says in the other thread I'm about to start really...

This isn't intended as a sleight against KJ, Mess and Chim - I'm just trying to think of what's best for the group as a whole - and the group needs an active arbiter, whoever it turns out to be.

I've had a couple of members approach me about this issue, which is what's prompted this post. Seriously, before anyone else does any nominating, think to yourself "will they be about to arbitrate?".
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:51 pm

Chimera
Well I thank Messiah for the nomination, but I'm not going to be arbiter; primarily for the reasons esd outlined. I'm a lurker now, I've had three curveballs thrown at me in the past year and time is a precious commodity. I nominated Killjoy because 1. He's been around for a while and I think he has a good idea of how things are run. He doesn't speak up that often, likely he has his own concerns, but I've never known him not to act when he needed to. For me, the role of arbiter would be similar to that. He most assuredly should not be a ghost, but he should be someone willing to step in when needed and above all, arbitrate with a fair hand.

Messiah, same deal. He took a lot of the moderator duties in the old SSC days before the Sundering took place. I don't think he volunteered because he liked authority, I think he volunteered because he wanted to contribute; and people were fine with this, because he took a steady hand at the job and analyzed each side of an issue, as a moderator ought to.
e
If Messiah was arbitrator I have no doubt in my mind he'd give it 100%. I knew him from playing D&D and he was in constant communication with all members of the group. He was most assuredly a team player and he doesn't wear his heart on his sleeve.

I didn't nominate Inquisitor because...well I knew someone else would. I didn't nominate esd and anubis or stracius or MS for the simple reason that..I don't know them. I see they post a great deal and that they have contributed A LOT to the SSX. And kudos to them, seriously!!

But for me, to know someone I need to interact with them, see how they work with others, see how they handle stress, etc. I nominated two persons that I know will do a good job because I am confident in those aspects that I detailed above. I didn't nominate them because they're my friends. BlueFlames is my friend and I wouldn't have him in charge of a hot dog stand (he's so evil he'd charge people portions of their children for extra mustard).

Thats my 2 c-bills.

Ken Out
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:23 pm

Messiah
I remember talking to Quiz about the position of arbiter when this place was coming together. My understanding of the postion at its conception was that the arbiter was not the leader of the community, nor necessarily a leader. Rather, exactly as the name imples, the arbiter was to be our judge in matters that we do not or can not handle appropriately. We had a lot of drama in our old home, and part of the problem was the lack of designated parties, trusted by all, who could be relied upon to settle disputes fairly. The arbiter was to be our solution to those problems.

As it turns out, our first arbiter also happend to be the man who led us here, built our new home, and guided us for the last three years. Our arbiter and our leader were the same person. Because of that, I think we have come to view the postion of arbiter as leader. That is fine, if that is what the community wants. We are not afraid of leadership here. It is not a dirty word.

However, we need to remember our old home and remember that many times, those in the midst of the trouble we had were some of those who were viewed as our leaders. The importance in discerning the role of arbiter separate from the role of leader is best seen in the wisdom of having a separate judiciary branch. When justice is subject to leadership, leadership often defines justice. An independent arbiter views the leader the same as the newbie. Everyone is equal and deserves equal treatment. There was too much protectionism in our old home, too much cronyism. An independent arbiter helps to prevent that.

I am flattered to be nominated. I have been a member of this community for a long time. I have been involved in a number of ways, but almost always quietly and discretely. I am happy to serve where needed. I have a wife, three kids, and a new business. My time is limited. I drop into IRC maybe once a month, and I'll never be able to lurk there. These forums are my home page, and as such, come up 20 times per day. I check new posts and read many. I don't linger too long in individual gaming forums, mostly because I am unfamiliar with the games and their respective communities. I am a moderator here, but never moderate. I believe in less moderation, and that is a postion I can maintain because we have many vigilant and dependable moderators around here who will get to it sooner and better than I would. I am always available via e-mail, PM, or through the forums. Because I don't post much doesn't mean I am not here. I beleive in maximum inclusion, in making this a home for as many good people as possible. I believe in fairness and I do not rush to judgement. Second chances are usually warranted, third chances rarely so. I believe we should be grateful for those who serve this community, but I do not believe service should excuse accountability. I am happy to serve if asked, and equally happy if not.

So, each of us needs to decide what he wants from an arbiter. If the arbiter should be something akin to my conception, then I can do as good a job as many around here. If an arbiter needs to be very visible, active in irc, and frequently posting, I am probably not the man for the job. We really can't go wrong with any of the present nominees, except maybe for esd (that is a joke, for those of you who don't know my sarcasm). Any of our choices would be good ones.

(better be nice to me, esd, or I'll not be buying the beer next time I come to London) ;)
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 11:15 am

esd
You do bring up a good point - perceived activity. Because you're not posting much I figured you actually weren't about very much... a logical conclusion perhaps, but it appears this time an erroneous one.
Messiah wrote:(better be nice to me, esd, or I'll not be buying the beer next time I come to London) ;)
I was nice to you, dammit! :p :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 5:01 pm

esd
Ok, after much consideration I've decided to withdraw my name from nomination.
I simply cannot dedicate very much time to it, particularly given forthcoming personal circumstances.

I'm honoured I got nominated at all, and I ask those who nominated me to nominate someone else in my place.

I nominate Anny and MS.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:59 pm

M.Steiner
I'm going to have to ask you guys to do the same as i've decided to withdraw as well i'm afraid.
Without going in to it too much, i'll just say that after giving it much thought, and considering that some of the things going on in my life atm have been stressful enough for me to deal with at times, i honestly don't think i could mentally take on a responsible role like Arbiter and still do the job justice, not this time round anyway.
It's an honour to have been nominated and considered once let alone twice and i really appreciate that but if there's anyone else you guys would like to nominate instead of myself then please do. Hope you understand. :)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:31 pm

Inquisitor
I wish you would both reconsider ;) I suspect you both have enough time, given how often you are "around" and available. And you both have done "arbiter-like" things in the last couple years.

At some point, no matter how good a job I am thought to be doing, it would be healthy for us to elect someone new to this spot.
No signature

Return to “Members”