Group Membership Communications

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 8:47 pm

QuantumDelta
I'll try and find a copy of vent mix 0.5 and somewhere to host it so members can use it since the us, and the eu have different vent versions, ventmix 0.5 also contains the TS client so it can connect to that too.
"Then, to hide their frailty, they hurt those who are kind.
I whisper farewell to this ugly world and dance nimbly with brilliant wings of red."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:12 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I will need the server and version info of the various servers we have out there though, and what groups they cater to.
WoW:EU - Vent
IP: 85.184.15.2
Port : 3784
Version 2.1.0

MGT's TS
games.mgtgames.com

No idea the details of the WoW:US vent, i don't see any threads on it or anything on their group site, mebbe i've not looked far enough though i seem to remember it being in the tradecraft forum heh. :p
I'm sure someone that knows will post it for ya though. :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:37 pm

SSX-Ava
WoW US vent info is:

Hostname or Ip: edit - Request of Manno group
Port:
Version: 2.3.0

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 10:24 pm

Magdalena
Yeah, ours was in the tradecraft forums due to the fact it's the only place viewable only to SSX members... many guilds on our server who posted their vent info publicly have constant problems with people trolling in off the street and reeking havoc... trying to avoid having to password the server for convenience of the group... so far with keeping it private like that we haven't had any issues there...

Edit:
Was going to replace with a link to the thread but tradecraft section seems to have gone poof :(
This is really not something we'd like open to the whole world, just all of ssx membership... especially since there isn't always a mod on at this point in time to kick when needed (our mods unlike QD tend to sleep sometimes) is that something we can make happen?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2006 11:20 pm

Inquisitor
oops, I was forum cleaning a WHILE ago and made the tradecraft forum go poof, sorry.

Lemme think on that one.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:37 pm

Ash
If you don't want the US Vent Info public,
may be worth editing the post 3 above this one.

;)
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 3:02 pm

SSX-Ava
More then happy to remove the details from the public eye. I wasn't aware they were intentionally being kept private. If Mag or one of the other US group asks me to pull them down I shall. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:17 pm

Inquisitor
It seems the thing she's most concerned with is the password.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:17 pm

M.Steiner
Inquisitor wrote:It seems the thing she's most concerned with is the password.
Magdalena wrote:trying to avoid having to password the server
:)

Not sure exactly how anny is gonna be able to put the details up on a webpage if they're meant to be kept private though, however if both EU & US or w/e are going to be sharing one of the servers from now on then with the different time zones people are on i'd think there would be people on to moderate almost all the time mebbe?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:34 pm

Inquisitor
I am sure we'll figure something out :)
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:15 pm

Padishar
Sorry for chiming in late on this discussion,
but my internet stability has been up and down ever since the first cold front/storms came rolling in :smack: (man I miss my old place).

This topic is a bit old believe it or not.
Ever since RogerWilco in the mid 90's, there have always been people who prefer to simply use voice instead of ever typing.
Those same individuals who have completely limited themselves to one mode of comm and one mode only,
generally alienate themselves from the rest of the group (even if unintentionally) simply because voice chat is not universal.

Like what BD touched on, we ALL have computers,
the forums can be accessed by ANYONE who has a computer (and an ISP of course).
The forums can be accessed by just about anything that has an internet connection:
from work to school to home (I even use my cell phone to check the forums).
Where as mIRC is often blocked by higher security networks...
and Voice Chat is rarely functional at work/school and can be very intrusive at home,
not to mention sometimes not being compatible (Mac) or even at times affordable by some.

I also liked Ed's " IRC and Voice are transient. Forums are semi-permanent."

So as already stated through out the thread here,
I also believe the forums should remain our main form of comm, with mIRC and Chat used as an augmentation to the forums.
(That is of course until wireless ISP's completely take over our lives and all of your devices are consolidated,
who knows by then all chat may be auto converted to text and saved anywho.... :cool: )

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:29 am

NightDreams
Like Padishar my apologies for joining this late.

As some people are aware i am active on irc, admittedly i dont type much but i am there.
Same goes with the forums, i don't post a great deal but i do read them at least a few times a week. And try to keep up with all that is going on.

I don't think even if we did have a large ts/vent server it would become the main way the ssx communicate.
The forums imo will always be the main way the ssx talks to each other, due to as its been said the ease of which all members have access to it.

However one advantage i have always beleived that hearing someones voice over just reading something is better understainding.
By hearing the tone of which someone says something there is less chance to takes their words in the wrong way to which they mean.
Rather then by just reading them and taking them out of context.

ND
Lies can be good, If they are put to good use.

swear

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:26 pm

Riccko
i have always beleived that hearing someones voice
Yeh don,t i know.

Oh and so does the wife.

the swear box was full up in one evening of doing wow. :D
I am of the opinion that my life belongs to this community, and as long as I live it is my privilege to do for it whatever I can.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:21 pm

Brittfire
forums/irc with vent for the discussions of the day!
TBC update
tomato ketchup will be a required reagent for feign death and rogues can apply huntersmark with a crayon!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:43 pm

Inquisitor
Anything that helps prevent misunderstandings is good for me, anything that lets you learn a little about your friends is great stuff :)

THAT being said, for all the reasons people say voice is great (less chance of misunderstanding, etc), I thought I would take this time to point out that text CAN be misinterpreted, and it seems a fair few of you know that, but its good to keep it in the front of you minds while posting on these forums.

Just in case you type something and it comes off "sounding" a little mean, like that would ever happen ;)

Good stuff, we'll figure out what to do about the passworded server, and make sure everyone knows and can get to the other servers. Cool that there is a consolidated client, that will make it easier for folks.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:01 pm

SSX-Killjoy
As for the passworded server, it is probably best to put the generic information up, and have an SA assign the user/pass to the server. That way only those authorized by the responsible SAs are allowed on the server. We will just need to provide the list of SAs for the server so people know who to contact.

I do know that it can be a pain though if you get a lot of requests at once, or people continually forget their password, but that is the best way to help prevent the issues presented here.
================================
I will be forever Shattered Star, but only as an
EXILE can I find peace in this lifetime.
================================

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:54 pm

Magdalena
Misinterpretation here I believe... the server is not passworded, and the group wishes to keep it that way. Thus is the reason for not posting the connection information in a public forum.

I have edited this info out of here upon request.

So far not making the connection info public has been sufficient. Those with admin rights are the only ones who have passwords.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:57 pm

Kon
Kind of late to this, but oh well. Like other people have already said, there is no reason to having a required Vent or TS, as some people don't want to use it, and some people can't. There is also no reason to not have one, as many people do like voice chat. Personally, I think we should combine all the voice servers were have, and just use one, with split channels. There is no reason for three or four different servers.

As for IRC, there is also no reason to require that, for the same reasons.

I do however, think that someone should be reasonably active on the forums and on either IRC or voice. If you don't want to bother meeting the people you play with, why did you join?
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
So....when I get this page done (soonTM) do we want the WoW US info leaving off it?

Also on that point, it seems pretty silly to have people wanting voice comms but not wanting server info put up... If thats the case then maybe Kahn is right, we should just have one central server and assign channels. Else voice will never really become like IRC, since no-one will have connection details for the servers :weird:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:35 pm

Inquisitor
Bleh, I do NOT want to make a secret members only forum. Let me think on that.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:57 pm

Plovske
my ventrilo server is open for everyone. it has a user cap of 50ish.
don't think its being use that mush anymore by the WoW-EU group. mostly when i log on it there are only 2 ppl on it or so. feel free to make use of it :)
enjoy!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:38 pm

Stracius
I hear ya quiz, it feels like a step backwards in some ways. I'd much rather go with Kj's suggestion than go this route.

That being said, if this is the best option we can come up with for now then lets agree to make this the only exception and reason for its creation. i.e. not making any more and not using it for any other reason. lol, I make it sound like "a necessary evil".

The read-only part is its only saving grace
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:50 pm

Fenavian
Inquisitor wrote:Bleh, I do NOT want to make a secret members only forum. Let me think on that.
While I can certainly understand the benefits of having one, I think we can all agree that past mistakes involving "secret" forums ended up being fairly problematic.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 12:22 am

esd
Yes, transparency was a key aim of the SSX at it's outset. Let's not forget that just for the sake of some voice chat server details.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:11 am

Messiah
So esd doesn't know about the Really Secret Special Members Only Forum? That might explain why it has been so blissfully quiet in there.

/me braces for a slap with a trout
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

Return to “Members”