Person leaving a Group Question?

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Rock-n-Roll wrote:I play WoW and have been playing for over a year. I do not play WoW with the SSX. I suppose I should be banned from playing with the SSX in other games though. Despite the fact I have played with different members of the SSX for close to 9 years.
It was not the fact that he left that was the problem. Any member has the right to be non-SSX in any game. It is the way in which he left, and his reasons for doing so that were the problem.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:24 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Anubis wrote:
Rock-n-Roll wrote:I play WoW and have been playing for over a year. I do not play WoW with the SSX. I suppose I should be banned from playing with the SSX in other games though. Despite the fact I have played with different members of the SSX for close to 9 years.
It was not the fact that he left that was the problem. Any member has the right to be non-SSX in any game. It is the way in which he left, and his reasons for doing so that were the problem.
Is there more to the story than is posted here then?

Because if what is posted here is what happened, then there was no wrong doing. It appears that some people's feelings are hurt on a personal level, but not that he left in poor form. The fact that he still keeps in contact with and helps SSX members goes further to show me that some people feel personally hurt by his actions.

Unless there is more to the story than this, then you all are over reacting.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:52 pm

Inquisitor
This topic should have died 2 weeks ago.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:55 pm

BlackDove
Rock-n-Roll wrote:
Anubis wrote:
Is there more to the story than is posted here then?

Because if what is posted here is what happened, then there was no wrong doing. It appears that some people's feelings are hurt on a personal level, but not that he left in poor form. The fact that he still keeps in contact with and helps SSX members goes further to show me that some people feel personally hurt by his actions.

Unless there is more to the story than this, then you all are over reacting.
I don't think so.

Fact is, SSX WoW is an intense raiding group regardless of its official position towards what kind of a group it really is.

To me, it's the story of a leech that couldn't suck anymore, so it latched onto another host because that one has more blood in it. The analogy bites, but that's what it comes down to.

We're a great friendly group until we're no longer able to offer intense end-game content at the pace other groups can, so screw friendship and obligations to friends, after all, people should get out of the game what they want.

I mean, am I the only one who considers the above to be wrong?

If end game content is your goal, what the hell are you doing with us in the first place? Stepping stone-ing?

You said you play WoW, but you don't play it with the SSX. Fair enough. It's one thing not to go for it at the get-go, completely another to use it for your own personal needs and dump it when it doesn't suit your playing style anymore.
Inquisitor wrote:This topic should have died 2 weeks ago.
Blargh, beat me to it by a few seconds/minutes. We've done this to death and I wanted to close it about four replies ago.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:26 pm

Rock-n-Roll
BlackDove wrote:
We're a great friendly group until we're no longer able to offer intense end-game content at the pace other groups can, so screw friendship and obligations to friends, after all, people should get out of the game what they want.
This is exactly where I think you are wrong.

As stated by others, he has not forsaken in game friendships but still helps and interacts with them. I think that very much fulfills his obligations to his friends.

Point in fact, his friends, it seems, are the ones failing in their obligations to him. If they were his friends, they would not begrudge him getting out of the game what he wants.

If you go on and on playing a game without getting out of it what you want, then it is no longer a game. Its work. Its not leeching. Its not step-stoning. This is someone who found a group that offered what he was looking for out of a game. In the course of that, he made friends. Over time the game and the player evolved and he no longer got what he was looking for, out of the game, with the group he had joined and made friends with.

So now he excused himself from the group and is still maintaining his friendships. Where do you see a problem in that? If this was just a leech you would never see or hear from him again and there would not be an issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:54 pm

Padishar
If anyone is intending to make an actual motion/vote or need mediation on something, then lets make a direct thread for that.

Am stepping up to the plate and locking this.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:43 pm

BlackDove
[edit]Blargh, Padishar locked this while I was showing fire through FFXI. I'm not deleting it, it took me 30min to word it considering how sleepy I am. If it bothers you, ask someone else to delete it. I just don't have the heart after investing so much time into it.[/edit]
Rock-n-Roll wrote:
BlackDove wrote:
This is exactly where I think you are wrong.

As stated by others, he has not forsaken in game friendships but still helps and interacts with them. I think that very much fulfills his obligations to his friends.

Point in fact, his friends, it seems, are the ones failing in their obligations to him. If they were his friends, they would not begrudge him getting out of the game what he wants.

If you go on and on playing a game without getting out of it what you want, then it is no longer a game. Its work. Its not leeching. Its not step-stoning. This is someone who found a group that offered what he was looking for out of a game. In the course of that, he made friends. Over time the game and the player evolved and he no longer got what he was looking for, out of the game, with the group he had joined and made friends with.

So now he excused himself from the group and is still maintaining his friendships. Where do you see a problem in that? If this was just a leech you would never see or hear from him again and there would not be an issue.
I wouldn't go around touting "Just a game" - not anymore. MMO's have obviously turned mere "games" into something more, especially for the serious players. In fact, I'm quite sure that if QD took a step back and took a look at it, he could consider his "game" a part-time, or even FULL TIME job that his ass isn't getting paid for.

If you're going with an MMO, you're looking to fill a good gap in your time. We wouldn't be having this conversation if the subject line were casual players that log on to play their "game" for the duration of how much you'd play an ordinary "game".

Now, how you choose to pursue that quite largely time spent, is totally up to you. You chose not to play with the SSX, because that's not how you want to go about spending your time. Like I said - fine.

Evolution of a playing style, or changing prospects of "want" or "need" is a topic most suited atop the pile of the all empowering topics regarding mastrubation. We all know what we want out of the game when we start playing it. It's the reason we start playing it and the reason we continue playing it. That's why you haven't played with the SSX after its goals were formed in the game that you play. The goals cross.

I play an MMO. I didn't suddenly wake up yesterday and decided that I want endgame content more than I wanted it yesterday. I sure as hell didn't wake up and made the call to pursue the endgame content at the expense of sacrificing my time spent with my SSX friends, after using their help and influence to get me where I stood in the game.

Nobody "changes" their views down the line. People want what they want, and they go about it in the way that they see fit best.

I don't see the way that's being discussed here as bieng worthy of remaining SSX, after making that kind of a choice. It's the process I'm judging. The result is just a by-product. Friends? Stay friends, I don't care. But don't associate with me or my community after gradually making that call, while you've made sure to suck the benefits dry first.

Return to “Members”