What to do about long term members

Members Only: This forum is restricted to votes and other formal discussions and is intentionally visible to all forum visitors.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 12:06 am

M.Steiner
-Updated the post i made above.
Also need to run something by you guys.

If an SSX member that has been part of one of our groups for over a year suddenly leaves the SSX group and joins another guild with rl friends on the same server that the SSX are playing on, but still wishes to be part of the SSX in general.. What do we do in that case?
Do we remove them like we would any other person that left our guild for some other place or do we leave them on the members list?
Just need to check as nobody has ever done it before in WoW.

What do you think?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:57 am

Inquisitor
Members, and the answer is "Case by case"

Don't legislate everything. This kind of stuff doesn't need a rule.
Last edited by Inquisitor on Mon May 08, 2006 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:10 am

BlackDove
This is usually a bad idea, so I'll be playing the "no" part of the debate here.

Some things we need to know beforehand though:

Why does he want to stay?

How is his guild alligned with the interests of ours?

What is the opinion of the people in WoW on this?

If the first two are positive, I don't see many problems, but the third one is always an issue to the point of "If you let one, others will want the same" and fact is, do you want to/have time and energy to filter and supervise everyone wanting the same thing after the fact?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:36 am

M.Steiner
Just to clarify, i'm talking about SSX-Andy here (Snowstar). As he is the first person to ever do something like this in WoW i thought it was probably best to get some peoples thoughts from outside of WoW first. Normally i would have posted and asked for Andy to be removed from the members list like i would anybody else who left our guild but i knew not everyone would agree with that so here's the discussion heh.
I shall send him a PM directing him to this thread so he can answer the first question, he can answer that one better than anyone. :)
How is his guild alligned with the interests of ours?
The guild Andy joined with his friends houses around 6 ex SSX members, 7 if you include Andy (not sure if any of them have left recently..). Some of those people didn't exactly leave SSX on good terms either, one was kicked and another /gquit after telling everyone to go **** themselves....

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:20 am

esd
As far as I'm concerned, you can be SSX and Squad XYZ at the same time. Just not in the same division.

Say Anny went off in Lore and joined Shadow Company, that's fine, he just doesn't represent SSX in Lore anymore. In GW, however, he'd still be SSX.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 3:34 am

M.Steiner
My view;

After giving it some more thought & after recent goings on tonight my personal opinion would be to keep Andy as a member outside of WoW if thats what he still wants. Though if anyone ever decides to do the same in the future i agree with the "case by case" bit that Quiz said. :)

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:56 am

SSX-Andy
It wasn't exactly an easy decision to join another guild after over a year in the SSX guild in WoW. The reason I finally did it is because of rl friends. Before we join SSX after about a month of the retail we had our own little guild on a PvE server. We started plaing the game together and joined SSX together. They left in january, but at the time I decided to stay in SSX. Didn't even see a reason why I shouldn't.

Over the months since I've more and more missed playing with them. The migration was what finally decided the matter for me and even though I have since also migrated I stayed with the other guild.

I feel pretty torn between SSX that I love and rl friends that I also love. Unfortunately there is no way for me to split my character in half so I have to make the tough decision as to where I want to spend my online time.

Most who join/change guilds do so in order to get more high end content. Its not a coincidence that guilds that do well get more applications. I left SSX (one of the best high end guilds on the server) and went to a guild that hasnt even started MC. The decision has nothing to do with game content (even though I will miss not being able to do AQ40 for a long time). Its about the fun of the game.

I want to stay as a member of SSX since that is how I see myself. I have made many friends in SSX, of course not loving all the members but that feeling is mutual I'm sure. I have always had the impression that SSX is larger than the games we play. I do hope there will be games in the future that I can play with SSX (or maybe WoW again one day), but at the moment that isn't the case.

The decision is up to the SSX community.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:50 am

Stracius
esd wrote:As far as I'm concerned, you can be SSX and Squad XYZ at the same time. Just not in the same division.

Say Anny went off in Lore and joined Shadow Company, that's fine, he just doesn't represent SSX in Lore anymore. In GW, however, he'd still be SSX.
I tend to agree with this as well. As long as you're willing to stick around, we'll be willing to have ya.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:41 pm

BlackDove
Yeah, pretty much bandwagon stuff here.

You're more than welcome to remain in the SSX in general, but as long as you're with this other guild in WoW, you can't be in the SSX WoW group.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 5:44 pm

Inquisitor
That, frankly, should be the default, if you leave and there is lots of screaming though, chances are good you don't want to stay anyway.

Deal with them as they come.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:49 pm

Padishar
esd wrote:As far as I'm concerned, you can be SSX and Squad XYZ at the same time. Just not in the same division.

BlackDove wrote:Yeah, pretty much bandwagon stuff here.

You're more than welcome to remain in the SSX in general, but as long as you're with this other guild in WoW, you can't be in the SSX WoW group.
Inquisitor wrote:Members, and the answer is "Case by case"

Don't legislate everything. This kind of stuff doesn't need a rule.
Think that about sums it for me, anything I would say on it has already been said.
Except for maybe, if you are TRULY a friend and desire to remain here (SSX in general)...
I can't imagine us not trying to work with you in some 'game', so you can still roll with RL friends also ;D

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:05 pm

NF
Arbiter
SSX isn't a game its bigger than that.

Just because you don't play all your games with SSX shouldn't affect whether you should still be a member. Every member knows the ideals and hopefully they take them everywhere they go whatever their 'uniform'. As long as they do that I see no problem.

Anyway I haven't been in a division since I left AO about 5 months back so I may be a little biased as I'd quite like to still be SSX :thumb:
NF

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 8:36 pm

Gryphon
NF wrote:SSX isn't a game its bigger than that.

Just because you don't play all your games with SSX shouldn't affect whether you should still be a member. Every member knows the ideals and hopefully they take them everywhere they go whatever their 'uniform'. As long as they do that I see no problem.

Anyway I haven't been in a division since I left AO about 5 months back so I may be a little biased as I'd quite like to still be SSX :thumb:
I think possibly beer fueled shenanigans could be a division of sorts... O_o
ESO - EU - Ebonheart
Jalfrezi - Khajit DK/Destro
Peeks-Through-Windows - Argonian Templar/Resto

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:19 am

Messiah
Gryphon wrote: I think possibly beer fueled shenanigans could be a division of sorts... O_o
I can moderate that division.
"All I was trying to do was get people to want to make their own new ring of light so that it is forever a name with meaning and substance ...." - BlackDove the Beneficent

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:52 am

esd
Messiah wrote:I can moderate that division.
Nope, you've already been tagged for the "Things On Toast" div.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

Return to “Members”