X11 - Cyphon's battle against the Master League's Oppressors

Be it the Premier League, the World Cup, or any of the web-games that we play - this is the place for your football discussions.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators, Football Moderators

X11 - Cyphon's battle against the Master League's Oppressors

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 7:38 pm

Cyphon88
So I have a team in the Master league, called the Malazan Marines. And I actually want, y'know to have players in there to be actual Malazan Marines, or from the Malazan world. The rest of the story will tell itself...

While the quotes are in chronological order, You have to read each quote from the bottom up to make any sense, as they are in reverse chronological order.

Name Requested: Anomander Rake
Anything I can find a link to on google (barring Facebook, myspace and other sites where made up names are ok) or on a forename or surname index is acceptable. Today, I rejected "El Toro" (The Bull) and Kate Perry. Like that :)

>Cyphon88, 2010-05-22: What is a real and proper name is completely subjective. So I fear I will make this mistake again. You'll have to bear with me then, as we go through this hit and miss process.

Name requested: Ganoes Paran
Ah I fear we will have agree to differ. You see my degree was fully in Chemistry, so philosophy wouldn't be my strong point. I tend to think of things simply whereever possible. If it is a real used name, hurrah. If not, no cigar.

Though procreation is a philosophy that I can give my full support to, sir!

>Cyphon88, 2010-05-24: Oh dear, I guess I had better get procreating then and be naming my kids after the various characters I want in my team. You have been warned sah!

Alternatively I would argue that it's our conception that makes a name real, and that whether this only manifest in a book or in what we experience around us, the name is still real. But then again, philosophy this early in the morning is probably frowned upon. But then we could happily debate this for days. I should of warned you perhaps one third of my degree was in philosophy, it's almost as if I was setting up an ambush on your so that I could do post modernist philosophy on you (cue manical laughter and the sound of the stretching table being wound up)

Have a pleasent day

>Dfx-, 2010-05-24: I understand where you're coming from and was expecting a query. How I see it is as follows:

Book 1: Names main character John Smith.

Book 2: Names its main character Supercalifragilistic Expealadocious.

The first name is acceptable, the second is not. Whether they are a book character is irrelevant...it is whether they are real and proper names to begin with. Just because the second book has its name of its main character does not make its name therefore real.

The team of assistants have all learned weird and wonderful names that are valid in many languages within accepting or rejecting them. I have just accepted "Dung Nguyen" as there is someone called Dung Nguyen in this world. I was surprised as anyone. He may also be a book film or cartoon character as well, but it is a real name and gets accepted.

If there's evidence of people called Sindbad, I or any of us will be glad to accept.

Regards,
Dfx-

>Cyphon88, 2010-05-23: Real and proper are subjective. Are you saying that all names of characters in a book are unreal? So if I chose Caleb Williams (from William Godwin's, Caleb Williams), that would be an unreal name too? Who is to define a name orginating in a book unreal? Technically then, other names of people in my team should be changed as they are 'unreal', ala Kalam Mekhar and Dujek Onearm. I'm not trying to be an arse per say (I suspect I'm failing on that count) but the distinction here is fairly arbitary in what is an completely inoffensive choice of names.

>Dfx-, 2010-05-23: Player names must be rela with proper first and second names. Ganoes Paran appears as a character in a book, hence does not comply.

Name requested: TwinkyWinky Teletubbie
>Cyphon88, 2010-05-25: awww, I thought I was going to get a 4 for 1, then I could of had Dipsy, LaLa and Po!

>Dfx-, 25-5-2010: Aww..so close - I was sure it was ok, but then wisely I checked. Ah well.
Title Edited to conform with Topic Labelling Rules

- Anny

Re: X11 - Cyphon's battle against the Master League's Oppressors

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 8:38 pm

Whizbang
I have to say that admin is a bit of a tool. How does he know that such names requested are not actual names somewhere across the globe? And I love the Teletubbies naming request. haha
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Return to “Football Discussions & Games”