Talon's Campaign

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

Talon's Campaign

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:56 pm

Messiah
Since many of us have the character creation parameters from Talon, I was wondering if anyone had put any thought into what kind of character they might play in Talon's upcoming campaign.

I am considering cleric, fighter or monk. Not sure if I will go for a non-standard race or not.

Anyone else? Any thoughts so far?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 2:44 am

Talon
I would like to have a basic premise of your characters in the next week or so and preferably a character sheet. It doesn't have to be final, but a good idea of it. I plan on starting the campaign sometime in mid to late April (Rock, please let me know when you can start playing so we can get a concrete time).

In case anyone lost the email I sent on character creation, here are the parameters:

Basic premise is that you are all new recruits in a
military commando unit. You are all extraordinary
characters (not a common man) that has come from their
land. I would like a good back story, because it will
be incorporated into the campaign. At least 2 or 3
paragraphs and give me something to work with please.

Here are the guidelines:
- 5th level, you can be a monster race but no more
than +3 level adjustment and subject to my approval
- 83 stat points, no stat lower than 8.
- 9000 gold (when buying stuff, standard stuff like
horses, torches, etc will be issued to you for free...
but put them on your character sheet).
- cannot have a disability (deaf, blind, slow)
- you will be asked to lead at some point, in some way
(there are different ways to lead) so don't make your
character one-dimensional (no Gnarls).
- heavy magic campaign, so there will be magic goodies
- balance of good and evil
- prestige classes will be allowed
- play whatever you want... if there is something that
the party needs, it will be taken care of. You are
free to ask others what they are playing, but I don't
want you to feel like you have to fill a role.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:53 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Does anyone mind sharing their characters basic ideas? I've got a couple of ideas I am considering and what I settle on may be dependent on what others are playing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:43 pm

Messiah
I am considering a Githzerai monk, a cleric or a fighter, possibly human. I have resolved not to play a rogue, and thus far my resolve is holding.

Of course, if no one is going to play a rogue ......

And if we lack a mage, I'll happily pick that up.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:25 pm

Rock-n-Roll
I;m thinking more specific ideas. For example, I'm thinking of a sniper type. Maybe fighter/Rogue with a crossbow of distance and some sort of magical "scope" which would increase a to hit roll.

Or a demolitions expert. Maybe some sort of casting class with alchemy and engineering skills. (Could really be any class, but some higher level mage spells seem to dovetail nicely with the idea of demolitions)

So I'm looking for more of a concept of their job within a military unit than what class they are.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:57 pm

Talon
Well... let me interject a bit here. You are part of a military unit, however, this is old timey military which was quite a bit different than modern day times. You had healers, fighters, archers, wizards, and assassains. Think Gladiator or Troy, not Black Hawk Down or Navy Seals. I use commando to show you guys are elite and better than other soldiers, not necessarily specialized.

You are free to create whatever you want and organize however you want, but I don't want you to try and create a perfect military unit. You were all put together because of the ability you demonstrated, not necessarily because you all fit together well. I just don't people to fall into the trap of creating something because the party needs it, I want you to create something you will enjoy. The encounters I create are not going to penalize you for a weakness (I may exploit it, but I will do that no matter what you create :)). You could have a party of 4 SUHF (straight up human fighters) and you would do just fine.

So I guess my point is focus on what class (and character you want to play) not necessarily their role.

I will say one thing that perhaps will bring things into better focus. You are starting out as an elite unit in the military. However, we all know, things never stay the same...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:58 pm

Messiah
Ok Rock, I see what you are asking.

I was thinking that no matter what race or class I play, I definitely want this character to be a pain the the DM's ass. That is the only thing that is really certain for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:57 pm

Rock-n-Roll
Awesome! I want to Murdoch! For ultimate pain in the DM, Mess will have to be B.A. Every time we try to go somewhere, he refuses to go, so we have to poison his yak's milk. Yeee-HAW!

I want trash baaaaags!
I want trash baaaaags!
I want trash baaaaags!
I want trash baaaaags!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:07 pm

Talon
If you guys want to be the A-Team... I will give you all special bonuses.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:18 am

Chimera
Sounds like you got a good game goin'. I'm looking forward to the weekly reports on the boards.
Pain is weakness leaving your body.

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”