Getting Started?

Roll the dice! Formerly the D&D Forum.

Moderators: Global Moderators, D&D Moderators

Getting Started?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:30 pm

Kon
Hey D&D people. I was browsing around the D&D offical site and it looks kind of interesting. I was wondering how to get started in a game and how do you play over the net?
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:20 am

BlueFlames
First and foremost, you'll need to get yourself a Player's Handbook (current version is 3.5). You don't need to memorize the thing, as that would be absurd, but it helps to familiarize yourself with it, and you'll probably need to refer to it during your game.

After that, you'll need to find yourself a campaign to get involved in. I'll be starting one some time in early 2005, and Rock-n-Roll's supposedly moved his campaign to the SSX. For online play, people typically meet in IRC and do most non-combat actions in there. When a battle situation comes up, most of the online DMs that I know have everyone switch over to OpenRPG (see the links sticky). There's also psychotics that run campaigns in the form of forum threads, but we don't seem to have anyone that crazy hanging around here at the moment.

It's also quite playable offline, if you can find willing players, as I'm sure you've figured out already. ;)
Shattered Star Exiles: A schism. A bond. A squad.
"I don't know what's more twisted: blowing up ambulances or setting it to Huey Lewis." --Inquisitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:33 pm

CypherDM
Considering some of the people I know, and some of the people I've talked to, memorizing the php isn't absurd at all...
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams...

Return to “Tabletop RPGs”