The value of fate?

The Free People of Middle Earth need you in the fight against the Dark Lord Sauron and his minions. Will you answer the call and join the forces of good in the War of the Ring?

Moderators: Global Moderators, LOTRO Moderators

The value of fate?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:18 pm

backpain
Ok, yesterday I was goofing off with some low cost jewelry that I came into. I started playing around with different combinations looking for some benefits for my character. I have two setups that I like, but I am unsure of which one I am going to play. Maybe some of you guru's could give me some insight on which would be more effective.

Here is the first setup:

Ears: Earring of command / Brilliant Misty Mtn Silver
Neck: Polished Beryl Necklace
Arms: Polished Beryl Bracelets
Fingers: Moonstone ring / Idhrinn

These numbers are unbuffed at 1-Hope standing in the bree fields. The morale regens at 643/minute in combat and the power regens at 640/minute in combat. Notice the fairly low might, and even lower agility at the cost of the 325 fate. The melee efficiency is at 238, but my chance for crits is up slightly.

Second Setup:

This one changes out the earring of command and the brilliant misty mountain earring for a pair of polished beryl earrings. The morale regens at 676/minute in combat and power regens at 597/minute in combat. Notice that my melee efficiency is up to 240, and my agility and might are both increased at the cost of the fate and slightly lower crit rates.

My main question, What is more important? Having the higher might/agility/melee efficiency, or having the higher fate/crit chance? The regen from one comes from fate, and the other from direct +1 regen tags. I could add even more might (with up to 373 unbuffed) with more jewelry swaps, but it would bring my power regen down to 393/minute incombat. I personally feel after playing captain for a while that power regen is a crucial factor to being effective in group.

Any insight? For you jewelry savvy types I also have in my vault the brilliant misty bracelets, the brilliant misty earrings, a sunstone ring, two engraved beryl rings, and two splendid misty mtn rings that I have been tinkering with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:50 pm

Syro
I understand your dilemna, but I can only speak from my own experience. I don't do fuzzy math in the game (even though I am a super number-cruncher in real life).

Your first setup with the higher fate is a much stronger Captain. You have better resists, regen, and higher morale/power overall.

Why do I like the first setup for a Captain? Because I see the Captain as THE Primary Support class. This doesn't mean the Captain is not as important as say a Main Tank, DPS, or Healer. On the contrary, I see a huge difference between teams with / without a Captain. The contrast is quite significant.

From my experience, a Captain is not a tank, not a healer, and not a dps... but they WILL do all three at times in their effort to keep the team strong and healthy. The Captain's overall health / regen is much more imporant to me than his combat abilities.

Krye wears a purple necklace because it is much better for his class than any of the blue ones, so we can't really judge an item by its color or price.

Short version, BP... I think you are on the right track with the first setup. Good job on checking into the differences! You are a better gamer just for thinking about it!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:11 pm

Revonator
This is Revonator unbuffed...

I dont think his numbers are the most awsome in ANY single category...but he hits hard when he needs too and is very sturdy.

He rarely runs out of power (though I wish he had a little more overall).

I see loads of captians with more morale or more power or more yadda yadda...

bP is a beast man :D
"Mains" Revonator- lvl 60 Captain, Thorrz - lvl 60 Guardian, Hushai lvl 60 Champion, Revonater - lvl 60 Minstrel, Melwinn -lvl 49 Hunter
Kinship:~Defenders of the Greyflood~ Creeps: Revnakh- R5 Warg, Squatch - R6 WL, Squatchk - R6 BA, Squatckh - R4 Reaver
"Alter Egos" Revgar: Captian Leader and Founder of the kinship Training Dummies ~ Elrond: Elf Champion and member of Training Dummies

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:30 pm

backpain
Ok in work, holding my baby (wife is sick at a doctors appointment) I get the urge to play with my jewelry more.

Submitted for your approval, not that approval really matters but :P I decided to throw some other combos on to see what happens.

Yesterday:Image

Today: Image

Interesting stats... Todays is at 0 hope in bree AH. All tags are higher just about, as well as in combat morale regen at 648/minute. The sacrifice I make is the in combat power regen is dropped significantly to 462/minute and overall power is less. I am thinking I can manage that with wise consumption, focus, and pots(flame-tongue doesn't hurt either).

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:08 pm

El Oso
Unbuffed.

Brilliant Misty earring
Earring of Command
Polished Beryl necklace
Gillinn (bracelet- 13fate, 1.3 ICPR)
Polished Beryl bracelet
Calenhen (ring- 6mi, 12agi, 6fate, 1% parry)
Idhrinn (8mi, 30will, 15fate, 1% parry)

Like Syro, I'm a huge fan of fate. I built Faernath around it & as you can see my agility and will are severely lacking because of it. My numbers were slightly higher last week, I am working on a rebuild that will improve my armor & round me out a little. :)

I find it very interesting, BP, that you were able to up all your stats while keeping your ICMR up with direct buffs instead of fate. An all-around build (maybe mixing/matching jewelry) with those buffs is worth looking into!

That last build you posted, though- Augmenting low power regen with food/pots would probably get expensive quickly! Maybe switching a piece out for something with a ICPR bump?

More $.02 to come!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:50 am

backpain
Looking at your character, I notice that your total power and morale are lower, yet with way higher regen values. On the other hand my tags for resistances are markedly higher as well as evade and parry. I am wondering where I would stack up with this build. I am thinking I like this for now.

With flame tongue, and focus I am regenning power at 736ic/4,146oc. I find that aceptable for those long drawn out melees. I am wondering if using "withdraw" in a large battle would trigger the non-combat regen numbers, I am going to seriously have to try that out some time. That could be a lifesaver in times of need!

Return to “Lord of the Rings”