Raiding with Other Kins?

The Free People of Middle Earth need you in the fight against the Dark Lord Sauron and his minions. Will you answer the call and join the forces of good in the War of the Ring?

Moderators: Global Moderators, LOTRO Moderators

Raiding with Other Kins?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:59 pm

Syro
I have numerous friends in other kins who have spoken with me about doing Helegrod as an alliance. What do you peeps think? Want to try it or wait until we can do it as a full kin raid?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:10 pm

Syro
This is a letter from a nice player who joined my pug group last night. I asked him to send me an e-mail with details on his kin. I could have my friends who have asked about forming alliance raids with us to send an e-mail as well. I am not suggesting that we do alliance raids, but I would like to hear what you all think. Thanks!

Hey! My kinship is the Keepers of Anduin. I'm currently not an officer, but its a relatively small group so things are laid back and open. Basically we've got a good portion of our members hitting 50 and in 48+ and 45+ levels. Many of them have raid experience in Helegrod (one as a MT) and what few 6 mans we've been able to do as a kin we've cleared with ease.

We're basically wanting to find another kinsihp in somewhat of the same boat. Our recruitment has basically just been done in-game by meeting people through groups and such, which has provided a good kinship but its hard to recruit like that and then want to do raids.

Sorry i'm kinda rambling, but we'd love to get in contact more formally with your kinship and such. Our forums are located at http://keepersofanduin.proboards57.com/ we'd love to have you stop by and we can chat. We also have a vent server which might be a bit easier sometime too. Thanks again so much and look forward to hearing from you!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:55 pm

Inquisitor
By all means, we should, seems like a great way to face that big dragon (that IS the big dragon instance, right?)!

The thing to watch out for is maintaining our own identity and loyalty to ourselves. If you find yourself raiding with other kin regularly, and unable to do stuff with the kin because of those committments, it may be time for you to change kinships, so your priorities are clear. I don't see any of that happening with this group of folks, at least not yet, but we do want to take care in that, and approach it eyes wide open. We also should make it clear that people shouldn't use those raides as oppurtunities to recruit from our ranks.

If we can avoid conflicts of interest, maintain identity, and keep our loyalties straight, alliances like that can be very, very productive for everyone involved. And it lets people not have to worry so much about slow pokes like me still being a few levels from 50 ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:19 pm

Syro
Thanks for sharing, Arrack!

This isn't a right or wrong discussion, but it's one that we should have at this time. I would like to hear open and honest thoughts from everyone in the kin.

I am intentionally not providing my opinions right now because I do not want to shape the discussion by my very slanted bias. :rolleyes:

If someone feels like they cannot respond today, then please think about it and let us know later. We are not in a rush to raid.

If someone does not want to post their ideas on the forums, then please send an in-game e-mail to Bink or Syro so we can be sure to include your thoughts anonymously.

Re: Raiding with Other Kins?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:06 pm

El Oso
Syro wrote:I have numerous friends in other kins who have spoken with me about doing Helegrod as an alliance. What do you peeps think? Want to try it or wait until we can do it as a full kin raid?
I think alliance raids are a great idea.

Re: Raiding with Other Kins?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:18 pm

Syro
Faernath wrote:I think alliance raids are a great idea.
Thank you for sharing, Faernath!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:50 pm

Eli
If we are asked to "change our kinship" that would make us "exiles" of the Shattered Star Exiles.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:52 pm

Inquisitor
Ironic, isn't it :)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:48 pm

Wulfsmark
I think raiding with other kinships would be great. I am pretty sure that everyone in our kinship is pretty happy with our family that we have come to be. So if I am reading correctly and there is some concern of some of our kin bailing I personally see that as a non issue. I think, now I have fellowed and quested with quite a few of our kinsmen (not all but I try), that we are a very loyal bunch. I see just about everyone helping lower level kinsmen do quests to lvl up. I don't think that everyone should depend on Syro to do quests with them or Bink for that matter. *I am not implying that anyone does, just making a statement* We have a lot of players that are high levels and thus far I have noticed them all trying to help out while doing things they would like to do with their own characters as well. I guess the point I am trying to make is that I feel like when I come in game I am going to a place that is a second home, and I have family waiting at the door when I get there. I think had it not been for this kinship I would have been bored with the game by now. So all that being said I think it would be a positive thing to plan raids with other kinships. Even if all of us were lvl 50 we don't all play at the same time so it would be difficult to get 24 of us together at the same time.

I might be out of line with this post. If so I apologize. But you asked for my opinion as I see it and that is what I see. So, I am gonna hit the submit button now. See you all in game. I love all of you guys!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 3:42 pm

Syro
Thanks, Wulfy! We appreciate your input.

I don't think any of us are worried about other kins raiding SSX peeps away. We are a solid family of friends.

Yes, everyone tries to help each other. It's so beautiful to watch everyone in action.

No, no one depends upon Syro or Bink. Those two are more like the annoying swarms in Middle-Earth that always seem to find you and won't leave you alone until you finish one more chapter, find one more page, or kill one more boss in an instance.

Welcome home, Wulfsmark. We are glad you found us :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:57 pm

Ozgafen
I agree with the idea of raiding with other kinships as an alliance. As long as loot rules and raid priorities are laid out well in advance so no one has any room to complain I don't see where there should be any problems.

Besides, given the relative short amount of time the game has been out it may be a while before we developed enough membership to do these raids on our own. Plus, if the allied raids go really well there might be an opportunity to merge more people into our kinship!
Ozgafen Level 50 Champion (GM Tailor, GM Prospector & GM Forrester)
Warin Level 49 Guardian (GM Metalsmith, GM Prospector & Tailor)
Runescryer Level 15 Lore Master (GM Scholar, GM Farmer, Weaponsmith)
Nicknack Level 12 Burgler (GM Jeweller, GM Cook, GM Prospector)
Jhona Level 6 Bank/AH Mule. I mean Hunter (what ever woodcrafters do)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 6:04 pm

Inquisitor
My remarks are general cautions, based on stuff that has happened and ended badly or positively. Just stuff to keep in teh backs of your minds :)

Eyes wide open and all that ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:42 pm

Jeredoc
I've never played an MMO other than DDO (which is pretty different) so I don't have much experience in raiding. I would assume that with multiple kinships in a raid some of the common raiding issues would be amplified somewhat. How to handle loot, in game communication, and other frustrations typical with coordinating 24 players at once. The most important thing is to still have fun.

I also think it would be a good opportunity to get some experience in Helegrod for future kinship raids. Maybe we'll find there are some quests that can be done with a smaller group and we can do those quests on our own for future raiding.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:58 pm

Syro
Thank you, Ozzy and Jeredoc.

Loot rules and such would be agreed upon amongst kin leaders in advance. If I thought we would get burned by one of my friends outside of SSX, then we wouldn't run with them and they wouldn't be my friend.

I have never raided another kin / guild for new members and won't do it. It always leads to disaster and very bitter feelings on a server. Read some forums in other games to find out how bad it can be. If peeps want to join our kin, then they can do it on their own... if we like them! Our kin is really built on attraction rather than promotion. Fun peeps who like each other and like killing or getting killed together.

In general, if a person is already in a kin then I will not recruit them. I intentionally organized pickup groups and invite folks to join us in a particular area for questing if we do not have a full kin group... not because we need them... but because it's a way to meet new folks.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:17 pm

Ozgafen
I didnt mean to imply we should raid other kinships for members, just that once two kinships start to raid with each other they tend to merge together and become one. I have been a part of that type of thing in other MMORPGs. Sometimes it worked, other times not so much and it turned into a complete disaster. Those instances where it went badly had more to do with youth and ego, neither of which seem to be that prevalent in this game thank god.
Ozgafen Level 50 Champion (GM Tailor, GM Prospector & GM Forrester)
Warin Level 49 Guardian (GM Metalsmith, GM Prospector & Tailor)
Runescryer Level 15 Lore Master (GM Scholar, GM Farmer, Weaponsmith)
Nicknack Level 12 Burgler (GM Jeweller, GM Cook, GM Prospector)
Jhona Level 6 Bank/AH Mule. I mean Hunter (what ever woodcrafters do)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:21 pm

Syro
Ozgafen wrote:I didnt mean to imply we should raid other kinships for members, just that once two kinships start to raid with each other they tend to merge together and become one. I have been a part of that type of thing in other MMORPGs. Sometimes it worked, other times not so much and it turned into a complete disaster. Those instances where it went badly had more to do with youth and ego, neither of which seem to be that prevalent in this game thank god.
I know you didn't. I have seen good mergers as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:20 pm

Wulfsmark
Okay, I was afraid I had misunderstood the whole thing.... I think from now on I will refrain from reading and posting on the message boards at 6am... I wake up turn on the computer get a cuppa and sit down and read... hmmm maybe I am not awake enough to comment on things.... Sorry.

Umm, so what I really wanted to say was... yeah I think it would be fun to raid with other kinships... as for the loot... I for one, just my own personal feelings on it, don't really care if I get anything in a raid or fellowship.... I like the fun with friends and making new friends..

Was that a little better than morning rambling???? :weird:

Wulfy
PS I am done on this whole subject.. K?

sure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:15 am

dwar
If we want to raid Helegrod I don't see any way we can do it unless we do it with another guild or get alot of pick up's. I'd rather do it with another guild then pick up people. We can always do it few times and see how it goes. If it turns into a bunch of loot bickering, too many people trying to lead the raid and always giving input to raid leaders, endless afk's, and stuff like that, I won't continue to do it. But if it's all laid out and goes somewhat smooth, not saying we're victorious but we all have a good time i'd do it quite a bit.

Just hope if we do it, we have a set time and we aren't waiting around for hours to start it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:18 pm

Inquisitor
For the record, I have faith in Syro's judgement :)

Sometimes I just feel the need to say things out loud :)
No signature

Re: sure

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:06 pm

Syro
dwar wrote:If we want to raid Helegrod I don't see any way we can do it unless we do it with another guild or get alot of pick up's. I'd rather do it with another guild then pick up people. We can always do it few times and see how it goes. If it turns into a bunch of loot bickering, too many people trying to lead the raid and always giving input to raid leaders, endless afk's, and stuff like that, I won't continue to do it. But if it's all laid out and goes somewhat smooth, not saying we're victorious but we all have a good time i'd do it quite a bit.

Just hope if we do it, we have a set time and we aren't waiting around for hours to start it.
Thank you, Dwar :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:09 pm

Syro
Wulfsmark wrote:Okay, I was afraid I had misunderstood the whole thing.... I think from now on I will refrain from reading and posting on the message boards at 6am... I wake up turn on the computer get a cuppa and sit down and read... hmmm maybe I am not awake enough to comment on things.... Sorry.

Umm, so what I really wanted to say was... yeah I think it would be fun to raid with other kinships... as for the loot... I for one, just my own personal feelings on it, don't really care if I get anything in a raid or fellowship.... I like the fun with friends and making new friends..

Was that a little better than morning rambling???? :weird:

Wulfy
PS I am done on this whole subject.. K?
K, Wufly :)

I didn't think there was anything wrong with your previous post. It was nice to hear your views, and this is intended to be an open discussion. A little brain-storming in the morning over a cup of java might be the very thing that we need to hear. You have good stuff to share, Wulfsmark! Keep it up!!!! Thanks :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:12 pm

Syro
Inquisitor wrote:For the record, I have faith in Syro's judgement :)

Sometimes I just feel the need to say things out loud :)
Yes! Talking out loud can be very helpful. "Eyes Wide Open" is valuable input that we need to hear. Thanks, friend.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:26 pm

El Oso
Wulfsmark wrote:Was that a little better than morning rambling????
I didn't see anything wrong with your original post.
:)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:08 pm

Wulfsmark
So :D are we gonna plan a raid or what? Please say yest :thumb: :p ;D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:38 pm

Syro
Yest :thumb: :p ;D

Thanks for asking, Wulfy! Based on everyone's feedback here, the leadership team agreed that we should do it... so yest!!! :D

The Book 10 changes will be old news by the close of this weekend, and peeps should be ready to start raiding again. It's very possible that we will attempt our first multi-kin raid next week; but realistically, I would expect something after Labor Day Weekend (Septebmer 8ish).

Return to “Lord of the Rings”