CD and Book 8 Chapter 5 - Min Req is Level 50 (Please Read)

The Free People of Middle Earth need you in the fight against the Dark Lord Sauron and his minions. Will you answer the call and join the forces of good in the War of the Ring?

Moderators: Global Moderators, LOTRO Moderators

CD and Book 8 Chapter 5 - Min Req is Level 50 (Please Read)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:50 pm

Syro
We have a lot of people who are anxious to go to CD for class quests and the elite Book 8 Chapter 5 quest. This is good!

Unfortunately, the whole party needs to be level 50 to successfully do either. I have been to CD enough times with all level 50 groups to know how difficult it can be. There is a reason why all the level 50's in the kin are still waiting to complete CD and Book 8 Chapter 5: they are very challenging even with a great, well-balanced group.

A few level 48 or 49 party members will be okay if they have great gear and have maxed their traits; but in preparation for CD runs, everyone really needs to master Fornost plus URU (not just visit them - master them) and everyone needs to work on their traits.

Why all this fuss about reqs when I am not a fan or supporter of hard-line guild rules nor the elite raiding-mentalilty of some guilds? Because we all like to have fun and slaving to survive in the most challenging fellowship area of the game is not fun.

If we all work on Fornost, Uru, and traits, then we can all have fun. We have a great group of people who can do the end-game stuff when we are ready.

The level 48+ peeps who have mastered those two instances and maxed their traits in the kin can start making CD attempts when we can form a full party.

Happy hunting everyone!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:55 pm

Inquisitor
I still have to kill a boss in Fornost, so I can safely say I have not yet mastered it :)
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:57 pm

Aesir
B8C5 is getting changed up in the next update.

http://forums.lotro.com/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=7

I don't know if it's going to be harder or easier (or just different).
-sir

Faron Adan: Hunter, Tailor, Soldier, Spy.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:11 pm

Syro
It will be "accessible."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:27 pm

Arimir
wait, theres going to be a book 10 now in this update?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:56 pm

Syro
We will start running a CD group with some combination of following characters:

Dwar (50 Guardian)
Eli (48 Lore Master)
Faernath (50 Captain)
Lee (50 Champion)
Mariwen (49 Minstrel)
Sidewinder (50 Champion)
Syro (50 Hunter)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:30 pm

Aesir
-sir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:03 am

Aesir
Anyone not named above that wants to hit CD, please let me know.

I like to come out of an instance/quest a victor as much or more than the next person, but I'm willing to spend silver travelling to/from a defeat circle in order to master CD, Urugarth, Helegrod and the upcoming Evendim content if the sappy star team is full.

I'll do PUGs for for class quest items if needed, but I wouldn't mind seeing some SSX tags in such groups.
-sir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 4:40 pm

Syro
Aesir wrote:Anyone not named above that wants to hit CD, please let me know.

I like to come out of an instance/quest a victor as much or more than the next person, but I'm willing to spend silver travelling to/from a defeat circle in order to master CD, Urugarth, Helegrod and the upcoming Evendim content if the sappy star team is full.
Great idea! It will give you all an awesome feel for the area. I know many peeps want to experience it, so take a stab at it! You can probably find PUGs for Uru and might get lucky with a PUG on CD. Serious CD groups may being looking for one additional class and take ya. I have only done CD with all level 50 folks who I have known since beta and ask Syro to DPS for their kinship groups.

Personally, I won't do a CD PUG.

The people on the Sappy team have been working together for several months. It would be really nice to see the new 40-somethings working together and getting organized like the Sappy peeps. :thumb:

That said, big kudos to all the Sappy folks who still spend a ton of time helping the other members in the kin.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:37 pm

Aesir
Did Urugarth PUG late last night. Took 1.5 hours to form up as just when we filled the 6th spot, one person had to leave. That happened 3 times. But, once we got in, with a mix of:

GRD/CHP/MIN/HNT/HNT/HNT L46 - 50 and we did ok.

Mistakes:
The GRD called to train through to the Urugarth instance gate if/when we hit a conjunction (to go "all green") and just "run through". The MIN got stunned and went down when we did this as the train was about *this* big. So the 5 had to go back and blew 5 minutes getting to the MIN retreat location, then another 5 going through the MOBs again. And so the GRD *again* says to train through if we hit an all green CJ. This time one of the hunters got stunned and went down. So... we blow another 10 minutes going back and forth. This is just to get to the instance gate.

A hunter (I think) pulled a patrol which in turn was 'social' with the nearby elite wargs, so this unplanned for pull drew 5 elites from behind, while we were dealing with 3 up front. That resulted in a chain wipe because while some of us were retreating to a nearby circle that was very close to that location, the survivor or two dragged the train to the circle. So those just releasing got wiped again - retreating to the same circle, with one or two survivors leading the MOBs away - and then back to - the circle those former survivors then got caught up in their own aggro *again*. It's called a chain wipe as everyone gets to retreat at least twice from the same encounter, while at any given moment only 2 or 3 of the party are not defeated. The lesson is: If the rest of your party wipe, but you're still up - don't bring the aggro to the retreat circle. Duh. After I realized what was happening, I let my release timer expire just to be sure I wouldn't take a 3rd hit from the same orc, goblin, troll, or warg.

Anyway I got the steel gate key two quests (collect crates and some other one) and a hunter page. It's all good. If I'm in your group, don't "just run through". It wastes time.

P.S. By now everyone should be carrying food, athelas, the power potions, the four wound/disease/etc potions and.. food. Did I say food? Not just the healing one, but the primary stat boosting one of your choice. And Edelharn tokens. Why I was the only one geared for the instance I'll never know. (well, to be fair, the GRD had a good handle on things - excepting for the "Just Run Through" strategic doctrine).
-sir

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:21 pm

El Oso
Grats on the successful URU run :)

My $.02:
I've done that group train successfully a few times & unsuccessfully about the same amount of times. It depends on the group and, i think, a bit of luck. It is a valid strategy as it's a lot quicker to get into the instance that way...

If you happen to have a captain in the group, they can summon any party members that don't make it. Provided that the captain makes it. One thing to note- you can't enter the instance if you're in combat.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:56 pm

Jeredoc
I don't know if this will be of any help but after hearing about the wipe at the octopus in CD and learning that, as a hunter, I need some slime from the beast, I did some searching. This page is in German but Google does a nice job translating it.

Carn Dum: Mordiritg, Helchgam and Azgoth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:25 pm

Syro
Good link.

Knowing what to expect and execution of the kills are two different things. I have now fought ALL of the bosses in CD and the German link is a solid overview of what might happen, but it cannot predict what will happen. Stuns, miscalculated deaths, lack of power, and many numerous other factors influence the outcome.

We, Team Sappy, have attempted to kill the octopus three times now, and only one attempt was a full party wipe, but a very comical party wipe!. We will get him within the next couple of attempts. Keep in mind that it takes about one hour plus to reach him with the sewer key! Without the sewer key, it will take a new group around 3-4 hours to reach him.

CD requires much greater patience and team work than Fornost. The CD mobs are stronger and much more lethal than Uru mobs and/or Book 7 Chapter 8 mobs. A single mistake by one player can create a major challenge for the rest of the team.

The Sappy team is not a group of elite raiders (although some of us were in our past lives). We are a group of friends who like to get together and kill stuff but above all... we like to have fun and enjoy each other's company.

Keep the good info flowing! Thanks for the post, Jeredoc.

Return to “Lord of the Rings”