HDTV advice for 360

Gears of War, Rainbow Six, Halo 2, Test Drive Unlimited, you name it, we play it.

Moderator: Global Moderators

HDTV advice for 360

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:52 pm

M.Steiner
Well, come this friday when the 360 gets another price cut i should be able to afford one finally.
Will be a while before i can afford a HD tv to go with it though so i'll have to continue using my old SD tv for the time being. I will be getting one asap though and i'm saving games like ME for it.

Got a few questions though since apart from seeing my bros hdtv, and reading odd bits here and there, i don't really know that much tbh.

Anyway - Said tv would be going in my bedroom so i'd be sat quite close to it (say double the distance that you'd sit at a pc monitor). Would be used for 360 gaming, normal tv & DVDs to begin with but i'd like to get a blu-ray player for it as well in the future so would want it to be worth it, that's a long way off though with those kinda prices :p
Looking around, the smallest tv's i've come across that have full 1080p (1920x1080) have been 32" (which is big enough for a bedroom anyway). I thought it might be best going with 1080p rather than 720 especially if i plan to watch blu-ray movies on it eventually, being able to watch them in the best quality and all.. But with a 32" screen and the distance i'd be sitting, would i be able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p? Would i be wasting my money buying one of those? :)
Last edited by M.Steiner on Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:51 pm

Inquisitor
I like Samsung as a brand. Alot.

If it were just 360 and DVD, you could just hook it up to a standard VGA LCD monitor, give you some time to think about which actual TV you want.
No signature

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:10 am

M.Steiner
Aye i was thinking of a Samsung too, maybe this one if i go for full HD. Ava has a 19" Samsung which is very nice, games still look stunning even at that size & resolution. Hard to imagine how much better 1080p is hehe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:28 pm

M.Steiner
Decided to go for this Samsung in the end.
From everything i've read i figured a full 1080p set would only really come into play properly once i got a Blu-ray player, which wont be for a long time. Most of the games i've seen were native 720p which would just be upscaling, and even if i had a HD sky box rather than Sky+ all those seem to broadcast in 1080i/720p anyway. A lot of extra money for something like that which i wouldn't see the full benefits from for a long time, and even then i'm still unsure whether or not i'd be able to tell the difference between the two at 32" and where i'd be sitting. Either way, i'm happy with my choice and it should still look fantastic i'm sure. Waiting for it to be delivered now :p

I had quite a bit of trouble playing GTA4 on my SD TV when it was night time ingame, even with the brightness turned up it could be very hard to see certain areas and the game in general was a lot darker too. Gotta save up for the console now but it shouldn't take as long as the tv did ^^

[Edit]
One other question!
Would there be a noticeable difference using HDMI on the 360 with my tv over component that you get with the pro console? I've looked around and can't really find a straight answer, some say yes & that HDMI is the way to go and others say that they look the same. Any of you have any experience? :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:54 pm

Inquisitor
Its not noticeable. I use an elite but with component cables, was just easier that way, but I have not noticed a difference that I care about with HDMI versus component.
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:23 pm

M.Steiner
Cheers Ed/Anny ;)
Last edited by M.Steiner on Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:30 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I just run with the Component cables too, and it looks great. Ed would know more than I, but frankly the Component cable is good enough unless you want pixel perfect detail :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:21 pm

Ambush
Yea i'd go with a full 1080p myself but if not alot of big box stores are selling the 720's cheap to get rid of em.

I run with component cables as well and it runs just fine. :thumb:
"Ambush, You Have deceived us! I'm gonna hunt you and your ship to the ends of the universe!" --SSC-Fahd "Ham Chronicles"

Return to “Xbox Live”