Autumn 2011 : Recommendations

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Autumn 2011 : Recommendations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:56 pm

M.Steiner
The autumn season is still some months away but there appears to be lots more to look forward to!. (A chart for this season can be viewed here too)

Here's what I plan on watching. I will edit the air dates once we get nearer the time;
  • Guilty Crown (Production I.G | noitaminA) [Oct 13th] <- From the director of Death Note.
  • UN-GO (Bones | noitaminA) [Oct 13th] <- From the director of the original Fullmetal Alchemist & Gundam 00.
  • Kimi to Boku (J.C. Staff) [Oct 3rd] <- From the director of Elfen Lied.
  • - Bakuman 2 (J.C. Staff) [Oct 1st] <- Second season.
  • - Working'!! (A-1 Pictures) [Oct 1st] <- Second season.
  • Persona 4 The Animation (AIC ASTA) [Oct 6th]
  • Last Exile: Ginyoku no Fam (Gonzo) [Oct 7th] <- A new series set in the Last Exile universe. You don't need to have seen the original series, this has new characters, new story etc.
  • Mirai Nikki (Asread) [Oct 9th]
  • Fate/zero (Ufotable) [Oct 1st] <- From the director of the first Kara no Kyoukai movie & Wandering Son. I'll be watching this as soon as I've finished Fate/stay night.
  • *Movie* Hotarubi no Mori e (Brains Base) [Cinema in September though a while before we'll get to see it] <- A movie by Takahiro Omori. Director of Baccano, Durarara, Natsume Yuujinchou & Jigoku Shoujo. <3
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Autumn 2011 : Recommendations

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I think it's possibly a little early for me to start thinking about autumn yet. I'll probably pick up Persona 4 if it airs, but will reserve my judgement on any others for a good couple of months yet I think.

A lot can change between now and then - never good to start looking ahead too early, as Code Geass Gaiden has shown :(
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:18 pm

M.Steiner
Here's a promo vid for Guilty Crown :D

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:37 pm

BlackDove
Persona 4.

Hahahahaha.

What.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:01 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
So as we're edging ever closer, and a few of us have been chatting about the new season on IRC, I thought I'd update with my thoughts.

Guilty Crown is a must for me, and the one that I have most of my hopes pinned on by a long way. With the people behind it being behind some of my favourite shows, and a synopsis that hits all the right notes for me, I am hoping this will be quite the showstopper :)

I'll also be picking up Persona 4, because it suggests that it will be following the game closely (i.e. good story awaits) and also because Trinity Soul was so great. Hope they can live up to the standard that they set with that, but I REALLY wish they'd chosen to do Persona 3 instead - it was by far the better game.

Finally, I'll probably be picking up Fate/Zero (provided it doesn't require me to have watched Fate/Stay Night despite it being a prequel to said show). It looks intriguing, but this is probably the show I'm least looking forward to of the three. Hoping to be surprised though! Stay Night has quite the cult following after all.

I would also have picked up Gundam AGE until BD pointed out that it's so targetted at kids. Upon further investigation, it doesn't look like it'll be worth my time sadly. Though if it does prove to get glowing reviews I'll definately pick it up - SEED and 00 were great, so I'd be happy for some moar Gundamu should it be suitable for me.

What's anyone else planning?
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:59 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Finally, I'll probably be picking up Fate/Zero (provided it doesn't require me to have watched Fate/Stay Night despite it being a prequel to said show). It looks intriguing, but this is probably the show I'm least looking forward to of the three. Hoping to be surprised though! Stay Night has quite the cult following after all.
"Based on the Fate/Zero novel by Urabuchi Gen and Type-Moon. The story is set 10 years before the events of Fate/stay night and chronicles the events of the 4th Holy Grail War. The truth which unfolded behind the battle between Shirou's foster father, Rin's father, and the younger Kotamine Kirei, is finally revealed..."

After reading the list bit I think I'd prefer to see Fate/stay night first even if it's not essential. Unlike the new Last Exile series where it won't matter whether you've seen the original as it isn't a sequel or prequel. Has new characters, new story, just in the same universe. I did however do some quick digging just to see;
"Do I need to have seen the pre­vi­ous season?
Prob­ably yes. It’s a non-canon pre­quel, but will prob­ably require know­ledge of the char­ac­ters to under­stand the import­ance of their actions."

Think I've got enough shows on my plate anyway so this'll be something for me to see in the future once I've seen stay night :)

What's anyone else planning?
Still planning to watch everything I posted above back in June. Haven't changed my mind :D
Well, everything except Coppelion which appears to be been cancelled due to its subject matter. Shame but not surprising. Will remove that from my list once concrete air dates start appearing!
Thankfully not all of these shows are 20+ eps long otherwise I'd be worrying about shows overlapping again into the winter season lol

New PV of Guilty Crown btw
:thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:42 am

Kon
The new preview for Guilty Crown really makes me want to watch it now. It sounded great when I first heard about it as well, but I still have some reservations after reading the plot synopsis. It seems to have a gimmick very, very similar to Geass. I like Geass, but I'm not really dying to watch it a second time around.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:44 pm

M.Steiner
UN-GO
The setting of the story is a post-war Tokyo of the future, one that still bears the scars of war. Ruling the land is Media King Rinroku Kaishou, who has the communications infrastructure under his thumb, giving him great power over both politics and industry. Kaishou is renowned for his use of logic and the massive amount of information at his fingertips to solve a great number of mysteries. But unbeknownst to the public at large, most of those discoveries have been the work of Shinjurou Yuuki, "the Last Great Detective." (The public, in fact, regards Shinjurou as a loser, and gives him the nickname, "Defeated Detective".) Still, Shinjurou, together with Inga, can't help but search for the truth.
I've had this on my list since before any of us knew what it'd be about but here's some more details on the story for anyone interested or didn't plan on watching it - http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/featu ... 2011/un-go.
Really liking the sound of this personally. Another good pick I hope :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:07 pm

M.Steiner
I'm here with another vid!

For the two noitaminA shows again. New PV for both UN-GO & Guilty Crown below;

;D

Also there's a guide to the autumn season here for anyone who's still not sure what to pick up :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:13 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Guilty Crown continues to look freaking awesome. Also, that UnGo trailer is the most tempting thing I've seen regarding the show so far.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:01 pm

M.Steiner
Quick initial impressons:
  • Kimi to Boku - hmmm. My least favourite so far. Not really diggin' this so much but I'll stick with it as we're only 2 eps in.
  • Working!! - Not bad but then not fantastic either, that being said the first series was the same. Just a bit of light hearted fun really.
  • Mirai Nikki - Really interested to see where the plot goes in this. Possibly the new Death Note with a mix of Eden of the East. Will see how this pans out but I'm glad I decided to pick this up as I wasn't so keen on the OVA.
  • Bakuman 2 - Loved the first series, strong start to the second.
  • Persona 4 - Enjoyed the first half more than the second (after the tv screen and it went all [C]) but overall thought it was pretty darn good. Hope the mysterious vibe keeps up.
  • Fate/zero - Watched F/SN recently just so I already had knowledge of the characters and universe to be able to watch this, being a prequel and all I preferred to do that. The events in this are referenced throughout stay night so going into this already knowing the outcome of certain things gives a much better perspective and seeing what happens leading up to those is already quite exciting. I've caught up now and F/Zero was most excellent. From the shows which have already started airing it is miles ahead imo. The first 2 eps were really impressive and much darker in tone and mature than stay night. I still think Guilty Crown & UN-GO will turn out to be two of the top picks for this season even before they have started airing but if this continues it will be joining them for sure. My current favourite.
Guilty Crown, UN-GO & Last Exile are still to air.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:18 am

M.Steiner
It would be unfair of me to judge Guilty Crown against Fate/zero just yet as I've seen 70 minutes of one and 23 of the other but I will say that this is looking to be the best season yet.
First episode of Guilty Crown was fantastic imo. We'll have to see where the story goes of course as there's not much to go on in 23 minutes but the potential is certainly there and the show didn't disappoint me.
The art is something I've been a fan of for several months now and it turned out to be spectacular, really gorgeous.
Image Image
The soundtrack was also a big highlight for me. I tend to like a lot of OP/EDs from anime shows & movies I watch but soundtracks as a whole I'm generally a little more particular on.

UN-GO wasn't quite in the same league as these two from its premiere ep but that's not to say it wasn't good. I'm still putting my money on this being one of the top picks but I think it'll be the underdog of the three as it probably won't have the same appeal. I really enjoyed this too though so I'm looking forward to seeing more next week. :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:54 pm

M.Steiner
Can't believe this season so far, completely unexpected for me. Initially I thought Guilty Crown & UN-GO would be the obvious choices for the ones to watch out for and whilst both are good I never expected Fate/Zero and Mirai Nikki to suddenly become my two favourites. You guys should consider picking Mirai Nikki up as well if you haven't already, seriously. If it turns to shit you can blame me later but I'm lovin' it so far :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:53 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
May give Mirai Nikki a try. You've tempted me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:25 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
What the heck did you just make me watch?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
So, with the remnants of this season about to finally come to a conclusion, what do we think of those shows that this season spawned? Excluding Fate/Zero, since we already agreed how awesome it was in another thread ;)

Persona 4 - This has been solid throughout for me, but it's never really escaped being "solid and good" to make it to "great". The way the ending seems to be going has disappointed me, even though I guessed the culprit right, since I felt it was a bit too obvious and underwhelming. It also doesn't help that I think Persona 3 had a significantly better story, and wish this was a Persona 3 anime! 8/10 I think. Solid, but not too special. Persona Trinity/Soul was better.

Mirai Nikki - Ok to good at best for my money. It had a lot of potential at the start, but it's very stale now. I felt they had a great point midway through where they should have split Yuno up from Yuukii and taken it in a different direction, because Yuno/Yuukii has already gotten tiring by that point. But they didn't, and they went their own way - it's just resulted in potential wasted for my money. 7/10.

Guilty Crown - Now this one is the wierd one. This show started off very average and continued that way for maybe 10 episodes or so (story wise, as to be fair the music and art have been superb throughout), after which it became a very different show. The last 10-12 episodes showed an awful lot of great ideas and, whilst their execution wasn't always consistent until it got to the last 8 episodes, those last 8 were really great and I wouldn't say any of the 12 fell below "very good". It's a strange show really that turned out to be the arguably the worst of the bunch but also the best. If I were rating this show in half, the first half of the show would get a 7/10 and the second half a 9/10. But I'm not.

8/10 would really make sense based on those split ratings, but if I'm honest with myself I know that this is the show I've been waiting all week for throughout its second half rather than either of the others. I've made sure I'm been watching it right away upon release, whereas for the others I have often delayed a day or two at least. As a result, it gets 9/10 - solely on the back of how great the second half was, and how said second half trumps anything the others offered.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:53 am

M.Steiner
I'll go back to my original planned watch schedule and list those off since I seem to have forgotten to give my final ratings once I had finished. Gonna add this past seasons too since they overlapped but will keep it short & sweet since there's quite a few lol;

Guilty Crown - I had such high hopes for this before it aired but found it a huge letdown sadly. Started off strongly but didn't feel like it was achieving anything and continued to disappoint. I watched 10/22 episodes of it and normally I'll make sure to finish whatever I start even if it turns out to be one of the worst things I've ever seen, bit of ocd heh. However what with all the other anime and tv dramas I've had on the go and with no signs of the show improving at the time I couldn't see myself struggling through another 12 episodes of it so just stopped watching. Hearing Anny's comments is what stopped me from adding it to my dropped list completely though so when there comes a time when I'm not watching so much I'll consider picking that back up and finishing it just to see if I feel any different. Hopefully I will if I see the second half, sooo for now it's on hold.
Before I put it on hold I gave it 7/10. I did give other shows of this season the same rating but they weren't 20+ eps long so I finished those. So yeah, didn't find it as terrible as some felt it to be I just didn't find it good enough to justify watching the rest.

UN-GO - This was one of my other pre-season highlights. A good show but my expectations of it going in were very high and it didn't really deliver. In the end I gave it 7/10.

Kimi to Boku - Biggest surprise of the season for me. I really wasn't sure what to make of the show or some of the characters at first and was infact my least favourite by far but I decided to give it a chance. Turned out to be a lovely little show and so glad I didn't drop it. As slice of life shows go it wasn't as good as Usagi Drop from the season before (which was most excellent and I'd highly recommend) but I'm quite looking forward to the second season this April. I gave it 9/10.

Bakuman 2 - Great continuation from the first season. 9/10 (3rd season on the way).

Working'!! - Certainly not for everyone. No depth here but just a bit of silly, harmless fun really. 7/10

Persona 4 - Wasn't sure what to expect from this as I haven't played any of the games or seen the other anime yet but I've really enjoyed it. Great cast, very funny and a great show overall but it was nothing amazing. I've given it 8/10 too.

Last Exile - Seen the original and I intended to watch this but it's on the backburner for now. Did anyone pick this up?

Mirai Nikki - Loved it. Shame to hear this didn't turn out for you (Anny) as well as you'd hoped but this has been one of my main highlights throughout the past 2 seasons quite honestly. I'll be giving this a 9 or 10/10 most likely, remaining 3 eps depending.

Fate/Zero - Pick of the Autumn season. After watching Fate/stay night I was expecting more of the same so to see how this turned out was another surprise for me. They're on a completely different level and I can't wait for the rest. 10/10

Hotarubi no Mori e - I've had this short movie waiting to watch for a while now but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's from the guy behind Baccano, Durarara and Natsume Yuujinchou so I'll most likely be biased from the offset and love it to pieces like I do everything else the guy comes out with :p. Seriously though, it got an extremely good reception and an average score of 8.81 on MAL so expectations are high. May see about watching it this weekend.

---

Natsume Yuujinchou Shi - 4th season, pick of the winter season and this show seems to go from strength to strength every time. No drop in quality at all it just improves, quite amazing. Sadly I have a feeling this may have been the last one going by the final episode this week as far as the anime adaption goes, or at least it comes across as such and would be fitting. I really hope not though or at the very least he should go make a DRRR! 2 instead!. - I have given all 4 seasons of Natsume 10/10 and I honestly never considered giving them anything lower than that, I try not to give 10s so easily but these really were deserving imho. More people should see them :)

Nisemonogatari - Intended to watch this (seen Bakemonogatari ofc) but like the new Last Exile series it's another on the backburner as I've had enough shows to watch as it is lol. Will get to it eventually.

Ano Natsu de Matteru - Not as good as his brilliant AnoHana series from last year but still decent overall. 8/10

Black Rock Shooter - Another show I've put aside for now, will pick up later.

Another - This was a surprise for me too especially after watching Blood-C from the same director not so long ago, which up until the last episode or two was very poor indeed I felt. This turned out much better than I expected. Closest examples/recommendations are Higurashi & Shiki, both are better than "Another", imo, but this was still well worth watching if you're into mystery horrors. Glad I gave it a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
You watch too many shows :lol:

Looking through your list, Natsume is one that interests me - but is only one that I could watch once I've watched the other series, which is unlikely to happen any time soon sadly. I also plan to watch Nisemonogatari at some point, but again need to see Bakemonogatari first - I'm likely to do that in the relatively near future though.

Black Rock Shooter was also one I watched an OVA for at some point in the past (I think it was a series of OVAs that I watched the first of), as the PVs and synopsis intrigued me a lot. I do recall I came out very disappointed from it though, and never bothered following up on the franchise after that. Let me know how you find this when you get to it - would be interested to know if it picks up and/or this specific iteration of the show is better.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:33 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:You watch too many shows :lol:
and this is just anime :lol:
Black Rock Shooter was also one I watched an OVA for at some point in the past (I think it was a series of OVAs that I watched the first of), as the PVs and synopsis intrigued me a lot. I do recall I came out very disappointed from it though, and never bothered following up on the franchise after that. Let me know how you find this when you get to it - would be interested to know if it picks up and/or this specific iteration of the show is better.
Yeah the OVA wasn't very good at all tbh but I figured I'd give the tv series a go considering I felt the same way about the Mirai Nikki OVA when I saw that. Looking at the ratings for that series I won't be expecting such a massive jump in quality like with the latter but hopefully still be worth my time. Though at the end of the day it's only 8 episodes so I won't have wasted much time on it if not. Will let ya know what I think when I eventually get to it! :)

Return to “Anime”