Samurai 7

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Samurai 7

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Whizbang
I finally finished Samurai 7 last night. 26 episodes, each running approx. 22min spanning across 7 discs.

The series was very enjoyable with some unexpected twists showing up later in the series that caused me to have to re-think my initial impressions with how the story was evolving. What surprised me the most was how some of the characters were fleshed out and given depth while others were briefly given background but never expanded upon. I was hoping for a bit more back story on the samurai as they were, for me, the focus of much of the story. What they didn't provide in detail for some of the main characters they did so with the antagonist Ukyo. You learn much about him in the last 10 or so episodes that really makes you appreciate just what he is and why he is so arrogantly and childishly evil.

You also get a better understanding of the different classes within the series and how they each play a role in the hierarchy of the world they live in. You get a better feel for why each section of people behave the way that they do and begin to understand why some choose to work the system from each side or abuse their position in the power structure. Each group has a role to play, some more than one. What it does do is create a world balanced on a rice grain that helps impress upon the viewer just how much the top of the scale depends on the lowest factors. Each class/group is dependent on each other, whether they want to see it/accept it or not.

The series, overall, is one I highly recommend. While it starts off a bit slow and takes a few episodes to begin capturing your attention, once it grabs hold it is hard to stop watching. The story is fantastic and contains several aspects that cause you to pause and consider the time and ramifications of the characters and their actions. While some episodes have a bit 'off' animation, overall the animation is eye-pleasing and well drawn. The pacing of the story is done well with the deeper you go into the series the more quickly things move along ensuring you don't lose sight of what is happening. It is also nice to see the political aspect of that era being played out in the anime.

I'm giving this one 9/10.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

Re: Samurai 7

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:06 pm

M.Steiner
I wouldn't normally have gone for a samurai series but this one sounds quite interesting.
I'm guilty of prejudge shows like this. Sometimes when I see the tags of samurai & action I wonder whether it's going to be all action/fighting and not much story. From your review this sounds like it's worth a look though! :)
(Samurai Champloo is another I intend on watching, from the director of the fantastic Cowboy Bebop.)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Samurai 7

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 8:12 pm

SSX-Ava
/Adds to his must watch list :p

Return to “Anime”