Season recommends?

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Season recommends?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:47 am

Stracius
I'm a bit stumped as to what to pick up this season. Either there's little or no interesting, quality anime being broadcast right now (hentai/ecchi/pantsu-laden aside), or I'm just having a spot of difficulty identifying it. Anyone following a current show(s) that they would recommend?

Re: Season recommends?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Your first impression is correct. There is very little this season that has caught my eye as being a really good show worth following, which is a shame. The three zombie-based anime are really the only ones I am looking at truth be told.

Highschool of the Dead is pretty hillarious, if pantsu laden (indeed, because of that truth be told). I also plan to try out Shiki and Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin, though have not managed to get to either yet.

Honestly, I'm just glad that Giant Killing is still ongoing and Frostii haven't finished subbing Rainbow yet. May be best to buckle down and just wait for next season.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Whizbang
I've been going through and rebuilding my old anime collection since I'm so out of touch with the newer stuff and I'm quite picky about what I watch. I'll pay attention to things here though for ideas but it seems that most stuff nowadays really lack that 'mature' feel in regards to plot and depth.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:38 pm

Stracius
Yeah, I can do without the excessive pantsu - it gets old fast. The only one I wasn't aware of was Shiki, but I may have overlooked it as I passed on Seikimatsu as well. Horror anime don't raise my interest, but considering how much I enjoyed Monster and it's mature theme (for Mech), those two shows may well deserve a closer look. Thanks for the heads up :thumb:
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:39 pm

M.Steiner
I'm watching Highschool of the Dead, Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin & Shiki from this season (+ Rainbow). Latter two I've found a little harder to get into tbh (really enjoyed HSOTD from the get go, lots of fun with some great music heh). However after the second ep of those I've definitely started to warm to them, especially Shiki's. Time will tell though. :)

Code: Select all

but considering how much I enjoyed Monster
Cool. That's the next show I plan on watching actually. Have it ready & waiting ^^
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Whizbang
Stracius wrote:Yeah, I can do without the excessive pantsu - it gets old fast. The only one I wasn't aware of was Shiki, but I may have overlooked it as I passed on Seikimatsu as well. Horror anime don't raise my interest, but considering how much I enjoyed Monster and it's mature theme (for Mech), those two shows may well deserve a closer look. Thanks for the heads up :thumb:
Just so I can make sure I'm not being misunderstood, when I say 'mature' I don't mean hentai, cartoon panty shots, etc. I'm referring more to the plots/themes of the movies/series, like Patlabor, Perfect Blue, etc. I'm not an anime perv, just a normal one. :cool:

So if Monster is along the latter, I could be moved to find a way to view it and see what some are recommending.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:26 pm

BlackDove
This season is the shittiest shit that was ever shat. The only good thing was the one episode of Roberta's Trail.

Watch something older to pass the time to next season.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Mechanus wrote:
Stracius wrote:Yeah, I can do without the excessive pantsu - it gets old fast. The only one I wasn't aware of was Shiki, but I may have overlooked it as I passed on Seikimatsu as well. Horror anime don't raise my interest, but considering how much I enjoyed Monster and it's mature theme (for Mech), those two shows may well deserve a closer look. Thanks for the heads up :thumb:
Just so I can make sure I'm not being misunderstood, when I say 'mature' I don't mean hentai, cartoon panty shots, etc. I'm referring more to the plots/themes of the movies/series, like Patlabor, Perfect Blue, etc. I'm not an anime perv, just a normal one. :cool:

So if Monster is along the latter, I could be moved to find a way to view it and see what some are recommending.
Monster is definately the latter. You should give it a look - if only looking at the summary etc yourself and judging if it'd be for you.

I still say you need to look at Death Note and (more importantly) Geass though ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:50 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
MS, or anyone else watching them, how have you found Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin and Shiki as time has gone on? I've still yet to get to them, and am wondering whether it's worth it at all now that I have a backlog of episodes building up for other things I'm watching.

Worth a look, or no big loss if missed? Thoughts would be appreciated :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:38 am

M.Steiner
I found both Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin and Shiki hard to get into at first. Seikimatsu as it's quite different from other shows I've watched and Shiki's animation style and characters I found very strange at first, seemed quite boring and wasn't sure what to make of it. Neither have had me completely gripped from the start like a few other shows have unfortunately, but, they've started to pick up since. Last couple of episodes of both have been pretty damn good but if I was to recommend one or the other it would probably be Shiki as it's darker (horror like) & more serious of the two and actually has a sense of mystery & intrigue to it now which encourages me to keep watching whereas Occult Academy is more light hearted a lot of the time. Not a bad thing but I'm already watching HSOTD heh. Shiki could be worth a look later but right now I wouldn't class either as a "must watch" but I'll probably stick with both. I don't like dropping things once I've started unless I find them really poor or can't get into em at all, last show I did that with was Caprica and that was dreadful compared to BSG. What a waste of time that was lol.

Monster on the other hand. I'm only up to episode 14 of 74 and I should probably reserve my judgement until I've finished it or at least see how the story/characters develop but so far I'd say it's shaping up to be incredible. The pacing of it is very slow and possibly the slowest I've come across so far in anime but the deep character development and story benefit from it a lot, so not a bad thing at all. Takes a goooood handful of eps before you even get to the overall "plot summary" you'd read on MAL, ANN or wherever as it gradually unfolds bit by bit. I say all this but it never actually feels like it's moving slow if that makes sense, you're too drawn in by it.

Mech, get hold of Monster. Might be early days but I'd say it's in a completely different league to what's airing right now and compared to a lot of what I've already watched too, I don't think you'll be disappointed :) (Anny too when you have room for a new show mate or instead of something that's airing right now).
Can't wait to watch some more :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:19 am

Stracius
Anubis wrote:MS, or anyone else watching them, how have you found Seikimatsu Occult Gakuin and Shiki as time has gone on? I've still yet to get to them, and am wondering whether it's worth it at all now that I have a backlog of episodes building up for other things I'm watching.

Worth a look, or no big loss if missed? Thoughts would be appreciated :)
No big loss if missed. I'm so far unimpressed, and only watching them because: a) waiting to see if they don't get better, and; b) everything else is crap. Utter, utter crap. Do as BD suggested earlier and catch up on older stuff to pass by this season.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:20 pm

M.Steiner
Aye no big loss :). Whilst Shiki may be worth it later as I say unless they both continue to improve there's much better older shows out there atm. If you're struggling with a backlog I really wouldn't worry about trying to get caught up with those as well each week and either watch something else on your to watch list, start Monster ^^, check some movies out or wait for the Autumn season. Right now Rainbow is still a lot better, ep 11 & 12 of that were possibly the best so far.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:07 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
SSX-MS wrote:Monster on the other hand. I'm only up to episode 14 of 74 and I should probably reserve my judgement until I've finished it or at least see how the story/characters develop but so far I'd say it's shaping up to be incredible. The pacing of it is very slow and possibly the slowest I've come across so far in anime but the deep character development and story benefit from it a lot, so not a bad thing at all. Takes a goooood handful of eps before you even get to the overall "plot summary" you'd read on MAL, ANN or wherever as it gradually unfolds bit by bit. I say all this but it never actually feels like it's moving slow if that makes sense, you're too drawn in by it.
This is something my sister is continually mentioning to me whenever she feels the need to nag me about watching it. Very very slow, but highly character/plot focused rather than pointless action etc that most other shows offer. The reason I haven't gotten to it yet is mainly because I already have a queue from BD, and whilst BD has proven himself with regards to recommending stuff I love and enjoy I could say the opposite for my sister lol. So the recommendation is noted, but it'll probably sit down at the rear of my list until the rest of it is cleared :p Glad you are enjoying it though!

With regards to Shiki and Occult Gaiken, I'll probably leave them then I think. I am not one for dropping shows either, but as it is I have started neither and if they are not particularly special as you both say it's probably better I catch up on my backlog instead. I can always watch them at a later date if they become something special further down the line too. Thanks for the feedback :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 9:44 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Version 1 of the chart for next season is up, and it actually looks just as bad as this season has been. Only Hakuouki 2 looks remotely appealing (which I will be watching, as I enjoyed the first season and want to see more).

This is somewhat depressing. Hopefully Version 2 will detail some good OVAs, else we may well be waiting till 2011 for some decent shows now :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:19 am

Stracius
The first couple eps of that failed to engage me. Perhaps I shall give it another try - from the sound of it I'm going to have little else to look forward to.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:51 pm

Fenavian
I wanna like Monster but the snails pace it has tends to make me want to toss it in the file and forget category. I am still slogging through it though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:28 am

Padishar
With the limited time and the HUGE laundry list of suggestions that have already been listed
throughout these forums,
I am still waaaay behind from catchin up,
so don't have much new to suggest
tho I did just finish:

Season 1 & 2 of D Gray Man (how is there not a season 3? dammit)
Rideback (Good Art/Soundtrack, tho needed more action throughout the series)
Darker than Black (QD explained it best "Good series. Disappointing ending. Need second season. That is all.")
Kaze No Stigma (Traditional mystery story with a twist, tho it gets a bit repetitious at the middle, needs another season just like DGM and DTB)
Ergo Proxy (Far in to the future, with original story and good art. Story keeps you in the dark entirely too long and like Monster develops SLOWLY.
Blassreiter (Near Future apocalypse setting with some seriously messed up pacing. Could have made 2-3 seasons out of 1)

The only real "new anime" I have been enjoying is Densetsu no Yuusha no Densetsu
(tho like every new anime the wait for new ep gets old fast)...

And of course Bleach, which for the first time ever,
had a kickass filler story arc that rivaled the main story.
The Zanpakutou arc was flippin sweet :cool:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:55 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Typically, looks like no group has picked up Hakuouki 2, despite it being the only show I want to watch this season :(

I really hope someone will take it in the next week or two. The first season was decent, and it'll be annoying if I can only follow half of the story. If not, it'll be no new shows until next season probably.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:20 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
To update incase anyone is wanting to watch this, Hakuouki has now been picked up.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:24 pm

Stracius
Anubis wrote:To update incase anyone is wanting to watch this, Hakuouki has now been picked up.
Fenavian wrote:If you bear ill feelings for it, I apologize, but those are the rules we have established here that there is absolutely no mentioning or hinting at downloading of anime. Again sorry for the inconvenience.

Someone pass me the rulebook again. Wait, what? We don't have one? Oh, right, I keep forgetting.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Stracius wrote:
Anubis wrote:To update incase anyone is wanting to watch this, Hakuouki has now been picked up.
Fenavian wrote:If you bear ill feelings for it, I apologize, but those are the rules we have established here that there is absolutely no mentioning or hinting at downloading of anime. Again sorry for the inconvenience.
Someone pass me the rulebook again. Wait, what? We don't have one? Oh, right, I keep forgetting.
Not altogether sure I was doing that any more than a 'Season Recommends' thread being posted is doing so, but I've edited my post (and your quote, so that it doesn't reflect a possible breach of rules) accordingly lest that be the impression coming across ;)

Sorry for the unintentional slip up.

EDIT - Actually, it appears that I did indeed breach the 'No name mentioning of fansub groups' rule. My apologies - didn't consider that that would be breaking the rules when I made the post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Stracius
Another ho-hum season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:31 am

Futile Resistance
What do guys think of Iron Man so far?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:03 am

Stracius
News to me. I haven't bothered watching any of the recent movies, but perhaps I'll give the Japanese take on it a whirl.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 pm

BlackDove
The last scream of a golden age, the season on now is downright just moe fanservice and attempts to push the boundaries of how much sex you can shove onto the screen at once in order to get people to buy your shit.

Not that I'm against the sex, I'm all for it in fact, but without a compelling context, it's like pissing in the wind for no reason whatsoever.

Goodbye plot. I miss you so.

Not watching ANYTHING from this season. It's like it never happened. What have you people done to the industry. Jesus.

Return to “Anime”