Higashi no Eden

Discuss your favourite Anime series here. No linking to or discussing, means of downloading episodes/series allowed.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Anime Moderators

Higashi no Eden

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:07 pm

BlackDove

This is probably the biggest one of this season. It's done by Kamiyama who directed Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex, and art style wise, by those who worked on Hachimitsu to Clover, which was another big two season piece.
Plot Summary: On November 22, 2010 ten missiles strike Japan. However, this unprecedented terrorist act, later to be called as "Careless Monday," does not result in any apparent victims, and is soon forgotten by almost everyone. Then, 3 months later... Saki Morimi is a young woman currently in the United States of America on her graduation trip. But just when she is in front of the White House, Washington DC, she gets into trouble, and only the unexpected intervention of one of her fellow countrymen saves her. However, this man, who introduces himself as Akira Takizawa, is a complete mystery. He appears to have lost his memory. and he is stark naked, except for the gun he holds in one hand, and the mobile phone he's holding with the other hand. A phone that is charged with 8,200,000,000 yen in digital cash.

Re: Higashi no Eden

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:29 pm

Futile Resistance
Saweet.

I'm surprised this flew under the radar for me. DL ahoy!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:37 pm

BlackDove
Yeah, no doubt about it really, this is the heavy contender for the Anime of the Year.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:49 am

Fenavian
I will certainly check this out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:31 pm

Stracius
Do so. This one's caught my main attention, and it has strong competition this season. It just keeps catching me off guard. I like that.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:10 pm

BlackDove
I CAME!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:16 am

Stracius
:lol: I'm now seriously worried about watching episode 3. BTW, I like the avatar, BD
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 3:32 pm

BlackDove
Why, thank you. My beautiful slaves work overtime just to please me.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:08 am

Futile Resistance
BlackDove wrote:Why, thank you. My beautiful slaves work overtime just to please me.
No health benefits
No overtime pay
Not even breaks and lunches

But since I'm the only one keeping him afloat, I guess I can't complain.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:21 am

Stracius
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclo ... p?id=10620

Just in case I'm not the only one who just found out about this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:44 pm

BlackDove
Yeah, I've seen it yesterday, it was great.

Paradise Lost I believe just aired in the Japanese theaters (which is the final movie and end) so it'll be a bit of a wait till that comes to DVD's.

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:28 pm

Kon
Well, it looks like I have something new to watch this summer.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 12:17 am

M.Steiner
I found the OP for this on youtube earlier today by accident and thought I recognised the name. Deserves props just for using Oasis' Falling Down. (Animation really is great too). :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 am

Kon
So today I got a hold of this, and I just can't put it down. Watched clear through the first five episodes. Here are my impressions thus far:

I am loving this so far. It's interesting to watch how all the different Selecao go about their task, and how it reflects their view of society. Huge spoiler block below:
Although at this stage, I still don't know everything about the "old" Takizawa, it appears that Ohsugi is a reflection of Takizawa's old ideology and a foil of the new one, as he struggles to cope with the belief that everyone must become a productive member of society, while one of his friends and many others around him continue onto "lesser" paths. We can see Takizawa formerly had this mindset when he crammed many of the unemployed into the mall and shipped them off to Dubai as slave labor. It is interesting to note that despite the new Takizawa's apparent change of heart, his old methods seemed to have accomplished their goal, as we see one of his victims actually come to thank him for "setting him straight" and allowing him to get married and become part of the mainstream. The question then becomes: Were his old goals really going to make a better society, or just perpetuate the shitstorm that currently exists. My bet is that the old Takizawa had his memory wiped because he picked up on his own flawed reasoning, and felt he needed a reset to truly change his perspective.

At first I thought Saki was another similar character, as she doesn't wish to loaf off of her brother-in-law forever. However, we learn at the end of episode 5 that his kindness hurts because she's in love with him. Now I don't know what to think about Saki. It's clear that she feels that everything is out her hands; as evidenced by her fascination with DC and the White House. Her main thing now seems to be the lack of honesty in society; something she admires in her brother-in-law. However, this kind of goes against what she said earlier about how she now felt invincible and wanted something bigger to happen than Careless Monday. Her yammering about princes and Ground Zeros seem to paint her as a believer in a Great Man view of history, where only a few major players and events really shape things. I think both her and Takizawa enjoy the Ground Zero locations because it reminds them of their own humanity.

This brings me to Number 1, who seems to have fired the missiles, and thus wants to wake everyone up by bringing them out of their carelessness and reminding them all of the fact that they are human. The recently introduced female Selecao described this as a "realist" approach in contrast to the new Takazawi's romanticism. However, I would view the most realistic player as Number 5, the doctor. He clearly never played to win, and put his money to the best use he knew how. He seemed quite content with himself at the end, and his own patients spoke of him as a messiah, evidently sacrificing himself for the good of others.

Takizawa clearly doesn't see this when he visits the doctor, and instead labels Mr. Outside an evil demon. This leads me to believe that Takizawa, at present, has no hope of "winning," as the messiah idea seems to be at the center of the whole thing. Those who die are the real winners, whereas the last man left standing with cash on hand and selfish desires being sent to Mr. Outside for God knows what horrific punishment. I predict that this poor soul will be the unidentified Selecao we see in DC, watching Takizawa in front of the White House.

Quite a few questions remain. Namely, who the hell is Johnny, and what was that whole scene with the ghost people coming out of the TV? Who was the aforementioned other Selecao in DC? Will we see Number IV's wife again? Does the Supporter actually kill people, or do they merely bring the others into alignment with their destiny? If the latter, I could easily see Takizawa being the Supporter.

What of the female Selecao? It's too early to get a handle on her, but at least from her murder of bondage-lovers, treatment of male models, and the look she gave a weeping Ohsugi, it seems that she is fighting for a restoration of masculinity in society. At first I thought that would be an odd stance for a woman, but she is seemingly very masculine herself.

What is Takizawa's new approach going to be? At least to me, it seems like he's just now figured that out. I guess we shall see in the second half. Then I shall commence volume two of my analysis. I can't wait.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 7:08 am

Stracius
Kahn wrote:blahblahblahblah
Didn't anyone ever tell you you're supposed to enjoy anime? Analysis is for the real world. And University (neither one has much to do with the other). I'm going to sincerely hope that your idea of a good time isn't sitting down and critiquing works of fiction that happen to contain social commentary :weird: . Guess I couldn't blame you if you liked it so much you couldn't contain yourself - I'm still eagerly awaiting Paradise Lost's release.

Didn't realize the OP was an Oasis piece, might explain why I enjoyed it so much.

I'm also wondering if enough time hasn't passed that spoiler tags are no longer required. Better safe than sorry? Meh.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:43 pm

Kon
Stracius wrote:Didn't anyone ever tell you you're supposed to enjoy anime? Analysis is for the real world. And University (neither one has much to do with the other). I'm going to sincerely hope that your idea of a good time isn't sitting down and critiquing works of fiction that happen to contain social commentary :weird: .
I am thoroughly enjoying this anime, thank you. And yes, I do also find lots of fun in critiquing and analyzing books and movies. I'm sorry you get so upset over the manner in which other people waste their time.
Stracius wrote:I'm also wondering if enough time hasn't passed that spoiler tags are no longer required. Better safe than sorry? Meh.
Oh come on now. I can't have been the only one who hasn't seen this. Spoiler tags in this forum are standard procedure, and common courtesy. Especially for people like me, who still don't want to be exposed to spoilers about season 4 of Battlestar Galactica.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:16 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, keep the spoiler tags please. Some of us are still in the dark :p
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:17 pm

M.Steiner
Whilst some people may be get satisfaction out of analysing a show like this trying to read into everything, if I can just watch something & get enjoyment out of it that's enough for me really. I'm not one for doing that personally besides the odd movie, book or a particular tv show due to obsession & the mysterious nature throughout it. Whatever floats your boat, as long as you're enjoying it. :) [I've been watching this as well so the spoiler tags are appreciated]

(And yep Strac, on their last album; Dig out your soul. It's no (What's the Story) Morning Glory? or Definitely Maybe, but it's pretty damn good if you ask me).
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:08 pm

Kon
I have just finished the final episode of the series. The ending took me by surprise. Overall, it was a very good ending, but it had the potential to be much better if it was a 20+ episode series.
I was way off about Takizawa in the first half of the show. I had underestimated the depth of Takizawa's past, and overestimated his new self. I predicted this would be some story about a change in character and embracing the youthful spirit within (which it turned out to be on a large scale), but for Takizawa, the story is merely cyclical. I can't wait to see what the King of Eden movie has in store.

The answer of Johnny's identity was much simpler than I had anticipated. The faceless "Johnny" represents the masses and their masculine power. I had thought after the junkyard scene that Johnny was something more along the lines of human potential ruined by consumerism and technology, but the writers had quite the opposite message in store. Number 11, as the emasculating "Johnny Hunter," who, as Takizawa fears in a vision, threatens to strip the masses of their power. It is this collective masculine power that Takizawa harnesses at it's peak as an enraged horde of naked youth unite and coordinate through Eden of the East to stop the missile attacks.

I also don't think it's a coincidence that the two girls were the ones behind the project, nor that Juiz is represented as female. I think this whole undertone of masculinity and its power is some lame nod to the notion of "behind every strong man, there's a strong woman." This goes back to my earlier feelings on Saki and her Great Man view of history. Although it's never said outright, she very much enabled her prince to rise to greatness through her own achievements with Eden of the East.

The writers thus present us with an optimistic view of the "lazy, spoiled" youth of today. Although the current generation appears to be losing it's individual drive and competitiveness, our main hope today lies in our ability to come together, further amplified by new technology and the whole Web 2.0/social working phenomenon that so many are obsessed with. Eden of the East is merely Facebook or Twitter taken to the extreme. Here, it was all that was needed to save the city. That, and the power behind the thousands of young men it brought together. Hirasawa saw the potential the NEETs had, and tried to help launch Eden of the East in hopes of fulfilling the potential of the "go-getters" he admires.

Number 1 and 10 are shown as attempting to bring the country into the modern era through old methods, with a proverbial burning of the Reichstag and a rally of the masses around the country. Takizawa and Hirasawa both want to revolutionize the country not by getting rid of the NEETs and forcing everyone back to work, but rather the opposite. They see the NEETs as a revolutionary group who can truly form a new society. Although lazy apart, they are shown to become incredibly resourceful when brought together. This is yet another dry message of cooperation and community from the Japanese.
There are still some things I'm not sure of that we'll have to see about in the movie. Most of which, of course, pertain to the Selecao and the game itself. We shall see shortly.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:09 pm

Stracius
Kahn wrote:
Stracius wrote:Didn't anyone ever tell you you're supposed to enjoy anime? Analysis is for the real world. And University (neither one has much to do with the other). I'm going to sincerely hope that your idea of a good time isn't sitting down and critiquing works of fiction that happen to contain social commentary :weird: .
I am thoroughly enjoying this anime, thank you. And yes, I do also find lots of fun in critiquing and analyzing books and movies. I'm sorry you get so upset over the manner in which other people waste their time.

Just giving you a hard time, m8 :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 10:11 am

Kon
No offense taken, I assure you. Although the forums are generally more peaceful, these sorts of exchanges are a daily part of the IRC channel. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:24 pm

BlackDove
Yeah, they ham it up with the social commentary in Paradise Lost, but it was great from beginning to end.

Return to “Anime”