E3/Summer Game Fest 2021 Schedule

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

E3/Summer Game Fest 2021 Schedule

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 2:28 pm

M.Steiner
E3/SUMMER GAME FEST 2021 SCHEDULE
SATURDAY 5TH JUNE

INDIE LIVE EXPO | VOD☑
02:00 PDT | 05:00 EDT | 10:00 BST | 11:00 CEST

GUERRILLA COLLECTIVE DAY ONE | VOD☑
08:00 PDT | 11:00 EDT | 16:00 BST | 17:00 CEST

TUESDAY 8TH JUNE

PLAYDATE UPDATE | VOD☑
09:00 PDT | 12:00 EDT | 17:00 BST | 18:00 CEST

WEDNESDAY 9TH JUNE

BATTLEFIELD REVEAL | VOD☑
08:00 PDT | 11:00 EDT | 16:00 BST | 15:00 CEST

THURSDAY 10TH JUNE

SUMMER GAME FEST KICKOFF LIVE! + DAY OF THE DEVS | VOD☑
11:00 PDT | 14:00 EDT | 19:00 BST | 20:00 CEST

FRIDAY 11TH JUNE

NEW WORLD DEEP DIVE | VOD☑

NETFLIX GEEKED WEEK | VOD☑

TRIBECA GAMES SPOTLIGHT | VOD☑

KOCH MEDIA PRIMETIME | VOD☑
12:00 PDT | 15:00 EDT | 20:00 BST | 21:00 CEST

IGN EXPO | VOD☑
13:00 PDT | 16:00 EDT | 21:00 BST | 22:00 CEST

SATURDAY 12TH JUNE

GUERRILLA COLLECTIVE DAY TWO | VOD☑

WHOLESOME DIRECT | VOD☑
10:00 PDT | 13:00 EDT | 18:00 BST | 19:00 CEST

UBISOFT FORWARD | VOD☑

DEVOLVER DIGITAL | VOD☑
13:30 PDT | 16:30 EDT | 21:30 BST | 22:30 CEST

GEARBOX E3 SHOWCASE | VOD☑
14:00 PDT | 17:00 EDT | 22:00 BST | 23:00 CEST

UPLOAD VR SHOWCASE | VOD☑
15:00 PDT | 18:00 EDT | 23:00 BST | 00:00 CEST (13TH)

SUNDAY 13TH JUNE

XBOX & BETHESDA GAMES SHOWCASE | VOD☑

SQUARE ENIX PRESENTS | VOD☑
12:15 PDT | 15:15 EDT | 20:15 BST | 21:15 CEST

BACK 4 BLOOD PVP SHOWCASE | VOD☑

PC GAMING SHOW | VOD☑
14:30 PDT | 17:30 EDT | 22:30 BST | 23:30 CEST

FUTURE GAMES SHOW | VOD☑
16:00 PDT | 19:00 EDT | 00:00 BST (14TH) | 01:00 CEST (14TH)

MONDAY 14TH JUNE

FORZA HORIZON 5: LET'S GO! | VOD☑

TAKE-TWO PANEL ON DIVERSITY, EQUITY & INCLUSION | VOD☑
10:15 PDT | 13:15 EDT | 18:15 BST | 19:15 CEST

LIMITED RUN GAMES | VOD☑

CAPCOM SHOWCASE | VOD☑
14:30 PDT | 17:30 EDT | 22:30 BST | 23:30 CEST

RAZER E3 KEYNOTE | VOD☑
15:00 PDT | 18:00 EDT | 23:00 BST | 00:00 CEST (15TH)

TUESDAY 15TH JUNE

NINTENDO DIRECT | VOD☑

BANDAI NAMCO PRESENTS: HOUSE OF ASHES | VOD☑
14:25 PDT | 17:25 EDT | 22:25 BST | 23:25 CEST

PLAY FOR ALL SHOWCASE | VOD☑
15:35 PDT | 18:35 EDT | 23:35 BST | 00:35 CEST (16TH)

E3 2021 AWARDS SHOW | VOD☑
16:45 PDT | 19:45 EDT | 00:45 BST (16TH) | 01:45 CEST (16TH)

THURSDAY 17TH JUNE

XBOX GAMES SHOWCASE EXTENDED | VOD☑

ROCKSMITH+ DEV AMA | VOD☑
15:00 PDT | 18:00 EDT | 23:00 BST | 00:00 CEST (18TH)

WEDNESDAY 23RD JUNE

SONIC SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA | VOD☑

THURSDAY 24TH JUNE

MICROSOFT WINDOWS EVENT | VOD☑

TUESDAY 6TH JULY

NACON CONNECT | VOD☑

THURSDAY 8TH JULY

STATE OF PLAY (DEATHLOOP, INDIES & THIRD-PARTY) | VOD☑

THURSDAY 15TH JULY

ROCKSMITH+ DEV AMA2 | VOD☑
15:00 PDT | 18:00 EDT | 23:00 BST | 00:00 CEST (16TH)

THURSDAY 22ND JULY

EA PLAY | VOD☑

TUESDAY 29TH JULY

ANNAPURNA INTERACTIVE SHOWCASE | VOD☑

TUESDAY 24TH AUGUST

GAMESCOM 2021 XBOX STREAM | VOD☑

WEDNESDAY 25TH AUGUST

GAMESCOM OPENING NIGHT LIVE | VOD☑

THURSDAY 26TH AUGUST

GAMESCOM AWESOME INDIES SHOWCASE | VOD☑

FUTURE GAMES SHOW AT GAMESCOM | VOD☑
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: E3/Summer Game Fest 2021 Schedule

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:36 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
These are surprisingly UK friendly times! I should be around for them all I think :D

As ever, this compilation is invaluable! Thanks for doing it bud!
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:26 am

M.Steiner
Aye, the timings are actually pretty great for us! I expect Devolver Digital may be the exception (they've not announced a time yet but they always used to be the early hours) but I'll catch that one later like I usually do if so.

Not sure what to expect this year tbh as there are a lot of new faces around the schedule but I suppose that makes it even more exciting lol. I do wonder if we'll get our first look at the new Saints Row game at Koch Primetime though since we know there's one in development ^^

[Edit: Or not https://twitter.com/deepsilver/status/1 ... 6884116483. Shame!]
[Edit 2: Wrong again haha https://twitter.com/summergamefest/stat ... 5282884613]

(and nps! :D)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:46 pm

M.Steiner
I know there are still some shows left but I figured I'd post this now since we've seen all of the major ones now, Nintendo & EA aside, the latter of which isn't until next month.

TOP 3 SHOWS
Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase
Wholesome Direct
Tribeca Games Spotlight

A little underwhelming compared some previous years I'd say, which I think a number of things are to blame for - The Covid pandemic being a big one I'd say as it has caused major delays & disruption across the board. The somewhat breakup of E3 & Sony not being present here being another as you've got an entire platform there that we'd be seeing exclusive reveals for (for example: the Horizon Forbidden West gameplay was showcased via a State of Play stream of theirs 2 weeks ago rather than E3 like it would have been in the past. Plus titles like FFXVI & Forspoken were missing from Square Enix Presents, most likely because they'll be shown at a future Sony show instead as well.)

That being said, there were still some great shows here. MS really delivered with the Xbox & Bethesda Games Showcase and I'd say that was arguably one of their strongest yet. They kept the talking down to an absolute minimum, back-to-back trailers with decent amounts of gameplay for some major titles as well as smaller ones & they had a few surprises thrown in there too (even if a few of them had been previously rumoured). - The main problem I had with the Summer Game Fest Kickoff Live! stream in comparison was the constant cutting back to the studio to announce each game/world premiere. Just let the trailers do the talking, even if many of them aren't for me personally. Closing with the amazing Elden Ring trailer definitely kinda made up for it though.

Wholesome Direct & the Tribeca Games Spotlight were another two highlights for me. Both focusing on indies, were well paced and had some really great stuff to show. Wholesome went with a similar approach to MS (and some of those games fit that title sooo well lol), whereas Tribeca went with a quality over quantity approach by handpicking just a handful or so games to showcase & dive deep into. Whilst there may not have been as many huge reveals this year I did come away with a ton of indie titles to add to my wishlists from shows like that, which is certainly no bad thing for me as a gamer, or smaller developers getting a little more love & attention.

WORST SHOW
Koch Media Primetime

This on the other hand was a masterclass in how not to present a show. Granted it was their first ever show & I hope they take the criticism as constructive rather than to heart but yeah... that'll go down as one of the worst of any E3 lol. I really wanted to listen to what some of the developers had to say in their interviews but when you're sitting through interview after interview (and they weren't short snappy ones either) with very little imagery anywhere (some literally had nothing - no screenshots, concept art, b-roll footage, teaser or trailer), it's hard to stay focused & interested. As E3 is one of my favourite times of the year (like Christmas come early for a gamer, usually lol) I always try to watch everything on offer each year but I couldn't sit through 2 hours of that. Think I managed 1 or just over and feel I did pretty well to get that far lol.

TOP 5 MOST ANTICIPATED
Elden Ring
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chernobyl
A Plague Tale: Requiem
Battlefield 2042
Rocksmith+

Whilst I do still think the event as a whole has been somewhat underwhelming I did still have fun watching the streams & came away with an awesome gameplay trailer & release date for Elden Ring (big Soulsborne fan & lover of FROM), gameplay & a release date for Stalker 2 (Shadow of Chernobyl remains one of the best survival horror games to this day), newly announced sequel to A Plague Tale: Innocence which was my #3 game of 2019 (only behind Shadowbringers & Disco Elysium), a new entry in my favourite FPS series which looks bigger & better than ever before (I've already pre-ordered for the beta) and a new Rocksmith which is my most played title on Steam by literally hundreds of hours... I'd say I've come away pretty happy and that's before you get on to the smaller titles, of which there were really too many to name. (I'll say 5: Sable, Somerville, Twelve Minutes, Lake & Harold Halibut). Hopefully we've still got a standalone show from Sony to look forward to in the near future too.

Rocksmith+ - I know some people out there have expressed concerns but I don't personally have any problems with RS+ being a subscription service this time. It's a learning tool at the end of the day, albeit a fun one. You'd be paying a whole lot more for actual lessons and no other learning service (with the same amount of stuff that RS+ will have) would offer it for free either, plus this way you're not paying for each individual DLC track or song pack but get access to the entire catalogue as part of the sub & that's on top of everything else in there. A subscription service does kinda make sense to me. Not just that but when we've now got some next-gen titles launching for as much as £69.99 on PS5 for a standard edition which you could have completed in a matter of days, having an annual $99.99 subscription for all that RS+ would offer & keep adding to actually seems like good value for money imo.

I do have 2 worries with it though: #1. Will you ever lose access to songs you've learnt & enjoyed playing? Netflix, Amazon, NowTV etc continually add & remove content due to licensing agreements, will that happen here? That would be a real bummer. And #2. They've said there will be thousands (and in the future, millions) of licensed songs in there and built-in workshop tools for charting custom tracks around those but for songs which aren't included in that will it be possible for people to chart & add unofficial tracks like has been possible with 2014? They've always kinda turned a blind eye to that with RS2014 but access to those has only added to the amount of time I've spent with it over the years. Would such a practice end up being blocked completely with RS+ being online & sub based? Hope not, unless these thousands & ultimately millions of tracks cover all of the stuff you wouldn't have normally seen an official DLC track for. Either way I am very excited to get stuck into it when it launches & keeping my fingers crossed for a beta invite in the meantime heh.

How have the rest of you found it this year? What have your highlights been? :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:15 am

Anubis
Site Admin
A really good writeup mate! I agree with a lot of what you've said at the start.

I actually stopped bothering taking notes for my own write up after the first couple of shows, when I realised what this year was going to be. Unfortunately, I would say this was the worst E3 I can recall (certainly in our 15 years watching them together), and I have found so little that interested me. I definitely agree that Covid and the breakup of E3 are the main drivers to that, but it's still sad to see. I wasn't as hyped as normal going in, and despite that still feel considerably let down.

I need to watch the Wholesome Games showcase (know you've praised that a few times now), but that aside I've felt that the MS show was the only one worth watching. It gave me a few things of interest, and actually had decent content. For me, Square Enix was the worst show - mainly because they've set the bar so high these last few years and this was a torrid showing Life Is Strange aside. Others like Capcom (lol) had less content, but Square was the biggest disappointment for me.

As I say I've come out with very few games I've noted down from anyone (and some of those I was already 100% sold on) - but those I have noted:
  • Life Is Strange True Colors & Remastered
  • Psychonauts 2
  • A Plague Tale: Requiem (this looked so good I'm going to break my horror rule and pick up Innocence)
  • Riders Republic
  • Age of Empires 4
  • Twelve Minutes
  • Ixion
Luckily, this year is already so packed for me that I don't think having so few titles to watch coming out of E3 is such a big deal. With Endwalker, Mass Effect, Yakuza Like a Dragon, Persona 5 Strikers, and Life is Strange I'm probably already way oversubscribed.

But still, very very disappointing. Hopefully next year normal service will resume. I also hope we go back to having fewer shows again - this has felt like far, far too many this year and little understanding of what was going to be in each one.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:06 pm

M.Steiner
I also hope we go back to having fewer shows again - this has felt like far, far too many this year and little understanding of what was going to be in each one.
I could probably have helped with the latter by putting descriptions under each slot on the schedule I guess. I did actually consider doing that at one point but as more & more shows got announced I thought it'd make the list look a bit messy given the amount of them lol, perhaps I could put those behind spoiler tags or something for next year though for shows I can find a description for!

Completely agree though, I'd rather go back to having fewer shows but more content packed into them than stuff spread out across multiple. I mean (and without counting), there must have been like 8-10 shows dedicated to indie games here. Do we really need that many? Especially when some of the games end up appearing across several showcases with the same trailers. Maybe cut that down to 3 shows - 2 big indie blowouts and then a third show which handpicks a good selection of them to focus on & dig a little deeper into like Tribeca did. - I might actually go through the list of indie highlights I made for myself & make a post with trailers for those later, maybe there will be something in there you've missed or overlooked that catches your eye mate :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:58 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:06 pm
I also hope we go back to having fewer shows again - this has felt like far, far too many this year and little understanding of what was going to be in each one.
I could probably have helped with the latter by putting descriptions under each slot on the schedule I guess. I did actually consider doing that at one point but as more & more shows got announced I thought it'd make the list look a bit messy given the amount of them lol, perhaps I could put those behind spoiler tags or something for next year though for shows I can find a description for!

No mate, it's not on you at all. I didn't mean it as a "damn if only you'd told me" thing, it's more a point about spreading things too thin. Even in a jam packed E3, this would be too many shows. There isn't enough good content to feed this amount in the best of years. In a year like this, it's madness.

It means that my attention wears thin, and I am less focused and interested in stuff that does interest me because it's hour 9 of my day for press conferences.

Less shows, more content.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:31 pm

M.Steiner
I hear ya ;)
Hopefully more big budget games next year too. As much as I enjoyed some of the smaller indie showcases you don't expect them to be overshadowing shows from the likes of Ubisoft or Square Enix and when you've not got Sony here either...

I may have missed one or two but I've gone through the list of smaller titles I made which caught my eye during some of the showcases and have pulled up the trailers for them here:

With so many shows it's easy to miss stuff, or even manage to overlook them when you're watching but mebbe there will be some other titles here which catch your eyes too. Apologies in advance if this causes any thread loading issues lol :D

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:28 pm

M.Steiner
Just to note, since the schedule has been covering Summer Game Fest events as well as E3 I'll be keeping the schedule updated up to & including gamescom this year. I expect we'll have a show from Sony at some point in there too :)

Return to “General Discussions”