Twitch Plays Pokemon

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Twitch Plays Pokemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:23 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Out of curiosity, is anyone else following this: Twitch Plays Pokemon

I found about it by reading an awesome article on Joystiq about the whole phenomenon, and wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I was actually pretty amazed.

Technologically it's actually quite a clever thing going on - text commands can be entered by anyone into the Twitch chat which the game responds to (so if someone types in "up" the player moves up, "start" opens the start menu, etc). Not only is that interface between channel and game pretty awesome in itself, but it makes for a really interesting study to see often 70000 people in the channel all trying to control the same game, and working together/against each other to that end.

On top of that....it's pretty hilarious I'll admit. Events that occur in the game are being blown out of all proportions (for example, whilst trying to deposit a Pokemon in storage they accidentally released 12, including several of their best - an event which has now been dubbed Bloody Sunday). A hilarious organised religion around the "Helix Fossil" item in the game has sprung up and is growing leaps and bounds both in and outside the stream.

I've spent pretty much three days both at work and at home following the stream and its live updates, and have actually even started replaying my old copy of Pokemon Crystal on my Gameboy it's gotten me so into it. Crazy stuff! So yeah, curious - is anyone else being similarly taken in? :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Re: Twitch Plays Pokemon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:28 am

Isileth
Yeah ive seen that over the last few days, god knows how many hours it took them to cut the vine.

Someone also setup a twitch plays Dwarf Fortress in adventure mode, needless to say that quickly ended in !FUN!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:34 am

esd
Didn't they get stuck on a tree for hours? There's also one of it being played by a random number generator somewhere.
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:21 pm

M.Steiner
lol wtf
Came across some links (which I assume were) about this the other day but I was never into that whole Pokemon craze, needless to say I didn't bother clicking em to see what they were about. This is pretty damn crazy though heh.
Just got the channel on atm (lunch time) and there's already over 33k people watching oO
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:45 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:lol wtf
Came across some links (which I assume were) about this the other day but I was never into that whole Pokemon craze, needless to say I didn't bother clicking em to see what they were about. This is pretty damn crazy though heh.
Just got the channel on atm (lunch time) and there's already over 33k people watching oO
33k is actually quite low. The past two evenings that I've had it on after work it's been over 70k. We're probably at a low point right now because the US and AUS are asleep, and EUR is at work. So it'll only go up from here :) I know though! Definitely one of the crazier (yet awesome) things I've seen happen online!
esd wrote:Didn't they get stuck on a tree for hours? There's also one of it being played by a random number generator somewhere.
I didn't see them cutting a tree myself, but it wouldn't surprise me if this was true. It took them four hours yesterday to manage to use the Surf command to leave Cinnibar Island, so yeah - commands like that are hard haha.

Plus they haven't got any Pokemon with Cut left anymore. They accidentally released them all on Bloody Sunday, so they're having to go around trees instead (which sometimes, in the case of detouring via Rock Tunnel, is taking endless hours haha). Fun fun fun! Will have to look up the random number generator one too - might be worth a look from an interesting technological standpoint :)
Isileth wrote:Yeah ive seen that over the last few days, god knows how many hours it took them to cut the vine.

Someone also setup a twitch plays Dwarf Fortress in adventure mode, needless to say that quickly ended in !FUN!
Hmmm, fraid I don't really know of Dwarf Fortress though - have to look the game up before the stream haha :)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:48 pm

Whizbang
Yeah, I know about this. It's because of TPP that Twitch chat keeps getting FUBAR'd and those of us who participate in other Twitch streams/chats are being adversely affected by the 'phenomenon' that is TPP. Twitch really needs to sort this out because it's not amusing....it's annoying.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:18 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
We actually somehow managed to beat the game as of five hours ago :D All hail Lord Helix and the Twitch Overmind!

Starting playing through Gen 2 tomorrow - the fun is just beginning :)

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/03/01/twitc ... emon-ends/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Not to bump too much but, ahem, we're back for the year's anniversary: TPP stream

With the ROM hacked so that all Pokemon are really high levelled, and our usual disastrous PC antics, this run is proving a bit more of a challenge ;)

Praise Helix and hope we can get through it (again)!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:18 pm

M.Steiner
I only got to see a tiny bit of this last time so I'll have to stick this on in the background when I'm not watching Lirik. Amazed me how they were managing to do it last time.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
If you do, spend a bit of time following the chat as we play too - it's half the fun haha :D

And yes, how we managed to win last time is beyond me. Helix guided us! This time though will be a lot harder since all the levels have been ramped up, we also have to catch all 151 Pokemon in order to beat the game, and we've already released all our best Pokemon a couple of days ago in the Monday Massacre while trying to use the PC :(

Here's a recent Kotaku report about the new run.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:35 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
We just beat a dream version of ourselves from last year (watch fullscreen for the chat):
Apparently now we have to complete the Pokedex, and re-defeat both the gym leaders and the Elite 4 (all of whom have upgraded Pokemon) in order to get to the true ending. So we'll likely be at this a while haha :)

Don't think anything will top that though. Epic moment!

Return to “General Discussions”