2014 Game Releases

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: 2014 Game Releases

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:51 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
After what they did with DA2, can honestly say I no longer have any interest in what they do with that franchise :(
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:35 pm

M.Steiner
Not even gonna give them a chance with DA:I then? Just write the franchise off completely?.
Is it just me that is getting a much more promising impression from DA:I then going from these recent videos and articles? Or have you not watched any of their screenings/interviews just recently?. Did you read the Game Informer article I linked on IRC the other week?

Not to fully repeat what I said 2 posts up but I've basically done a 180 on the game. I didn't *hate* DA2 with a passion like some of the people here did despite my many problems with it, and at the time neither did you from what I recall. But it wasn't the DA we knew and loved and was quite lazy at best. Since then I was worried how DA3 would turn out and for a long time I've not been fussed about it at all really, but just recently I have been quite impressed with what they've been showing of it. Actually looks and sounds pretty great so far imo and as I said before, I'm willing to give them a chance and see how it turns out. You feel differently I take it?
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Not even gonna give them a chance with DA:I then? Just write the franchise off completely?.
Is it just me that is getting a much more promising impression from DA:I then going from these recent videos and articles? Or have you not watched any of their screenings/interviews just recently?. Did you read the Game Informer article I linked on IRC the other week?

Not to fully repeat what I said 2 posts up but I've basically done a 180 on the game. I didn't *hate* DA2 with a passion like some of the people here did despite my many problems with it, and at the time neither did you from what I recall. But it wasn't the DA we knew and loved and was quite lazy at best. Since then I was worried how DA3 would turn out and for a long time I've not been fussed about it at all really, but just recently I have been quite impressed with what they've been showing of it. Actually looks and sounds pretty great so far imo and as I said before, I'm willing to give them a chance and see how it turns out. You feel differently I take it?
The thing is, they haven't reverted it. The appeal of Dragon Age to me was the awesome old school style of it, both story and particularly gameplay wise.

Was DA2 the worst thing of all time? No. People did overhype its flaws, that is true. But it's not the fact that they used the same map 50000 times that annoyed me and has turned me off 3, it's that they took it away from what attracted me to the series to begin with and have not reverted that with 3.

Sure it'll be ok, if not good. But it won't be the kind of game that Dragon Age as a franchise was/should be. There are a lot of miles better consoleified RPGs out there that draw my attention much more...
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:03 am

SL33PY
DA3 for me is a summer/winter steal deal kind of game. I'll buy it with all DLC later on for €20 tops

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:49 pm

M.Steiner
Can see where you're coming from, Anny but I still hope you'll be open to giving it a try when it eventually releases rather than skipping it entirely :)
One thing I'm not so keen on myself is the options within the conversation wheels again but that's the price you pay for having a voiced protagonist to be fair. Those dialogue choices will always be fewer than a silent character unless it's a very short game. Would be a huge undertaking to have voice actors recording the same amount of lines one would need to speak for something like Origins, especially when you consider the multiple playable races too which Inquisition has also brought back (yay). Voiced (like the Witcher) can work just as effectively though so we'll have to see on that one.
The reused maps were one of my biggest problems with DA2 as there was just no excuse for that and certainly not from a developer like BioWare. Thankfully they appear to have not only learnt from that but they're taking those location designs even further than Origins by all accounts. They do sound pretty epic actually.
I'll be following this quite closely from now on I think :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:10 pm

SL33PY
So for 2014:

Watchdogs... WATCHDOGS and errr yep WATCHDOGS! I currently have no other games that I'm heavily looking forward to besides Watchdogs

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:05 pm

M.Steiner
I actually had a sad little realization this weekend that we'd have been playing Watch Dogs already had it not been delayed :( :(
It's still one of the main games I'm looking forward to by quite a way but next years release schedule looks potentially just as busy and strong as this year has been tbh, if not more so. Watch Dogs sat as my 2013 most anticipated title since its first reveal at E3 but with it moving to 2014 now and going up against TW3 it's harder for me to call. I'd put them joint atm hehe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2013 10:38 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
My PC copy of Black Flag which arrived the other day actually still has flyers in there for Watch Dogs with the November launch date too. Oops Ubisoft haha :D Seriously though, at least we'll know it'll be the best it can be when we finally get it!

On another note, it sickens me that Dragon Age got on your list ahead of The Stick of Truth. What is wrong with you??? :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 10:30 am

M.Steiner
haha, I should probably move it up a bit tbh but probably not within my top 10 atm. Doesn't make me any less excited for it though!, there's just so many to pick from :lol:. Still got Thief, TWD Season 2, FFX HD, Destiny etc in the top 20 with South Park :D
Looking at that list of games again just now.. I thought this years lineup had been one of the best but 2014 could be incredible if a good amount of those titles truly deliver. Gonna be a good year :D

Noticed the Watch Dogs advert lol

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 am

SL33PY
Let's bring this one back to the top

What are everyone's lists of games they are most looking forward to this year?

I'll start off with mine, I have exact one entry (for now):
Watch Dogs

edit: sticky this maybe?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:49 pm

M.Steiner
I've been keeping my list updated on the first page but here's the top 20 games I'm most looking forwawrd to this year:
M.Steiner wrote:The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Watch Dogs
Mirror's Edge 2
Tom Clancy's The Division (PS4 unless PC launches at the same time)
Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain & Ground Zeroes (PS4)
Murdered: Soul Suspect
Dragon Age: Inquisition
WildStar
Rime (PS4)
Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
Final Fantasy X HD (PS3)
The Evil Within
Thief
Destiny (PS4)
Resident Evil 4 HD
Driveclub (PS4)
The Walking Dead Season 2 (Continued)
The Wolf Among Us (Continued)
South Park: The Stick of Truth
Titanfall
Watch Dogs & Driveclub I already had pre-ordered but were ofc delayed, have kept my orders for both of those. Destiny I pre-ordered for PS4 beta access which is supposedly early this year, and The Wolf Among Us & TWD S2 I already own (bought the latter in the steam sale last night), just have to wait for each episode to release. Those are the only ones I have pre-ordered atm (not including kickstarter projects I backed). For games like TW3 I'd be interested in a CE so I'll be waiting to see what versions they announce nearer the time.
Debating whether I should switch buying a few of these multiplatform titles from PC to PS4 though. I've always gone with PC first and foremost as (whilst it was up to the task) it was always the ultimate platform for performance, controls & visuals. My PC just can't run new releases at their full potential anymore though so until I come to upgrade, the PS4 is likely to offer the better experience. Something to think about anyway..

WildStar is something I'm greatly looking forward to still (due out in spring iirc) so I'm hoping a few people here will start to consider it nearer the time and we can hopefully get a new SSX group going in there. If not?. I'll either have to look for another group to play with, get what I can out of the game solo or just not bother. Virtually every MMO I've subbed to since I joined here has been played with the SSC/X though so chances are it'll be the latter if nobody else does. Will see.. I'm still waiting for a beta invite :p

Lots on the way though and who knows what else will be announced in the weeks and months to come. Going to be another busy year for gaming again assuming some of these don't see delays into 2015!

[Edit: I have sticked this thread as well as the deals one. The deals thread is frequently used so this will keep it near the top, as will this be if it's as active as the 2013 thread was.
I've made you a global mod too, SL33PY as you should be able to moderate :)
We should probably remove and replace a few of the other forum mods too now I look at them. Undrin from the general forum mod group who according to his profile hasn't logged in since 2011. Likewise with Fen and the anime forum. I'll do those later unless Anny would prefer.]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:16 pm

M.Steiner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/app/254700/!!
<censored> yeah :D
Haha, you addict ;D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:20 pm

M.Steiner
Haven't actually played RE4 since the year it was released lol. This news has me very excited though I won't lie, such an awesome game. I'm holding off from pre-ordering it just yet as GMG are bound to have it up shortly, will be able to use one of their discount codes against it in that case and save a few quid.
Silent Hill 2 is still the best though imo and needs to be next to release on steam (followed by the other RE classics). Still has one of the greatest stories in gaming to this day I would say. I think you would like it for that too, Anny. Tis amazing :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:56 am

M.Steiner
I can already hear my computer crying...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:26 pm

Theoroshia
I couldn't get into the Witcher 2. Any advice? I got to the part where you're attacking a castle and I just got lost.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:31 pm

M.Steiner
hmm I don't remember myself ever getting lost in TW2 if I'm honest, not sure what advice I could give there.

Some people may disagree with me but one thing I would say is to consider playing the Witcher 1 first if you haven't and then go on to try TW2 again. It's not a requirement as such as it was CDPR's intention that new players would be able to jump straight into TW2 (and TW3 apparently) without having played the previous games, many people do and still love it. I do however think playing TW1 first is a good idea personally and it is something I would recommend. They do have different stories and TW2 is pretty self-contained but I think you'll get a lot more out of the game as a whole if you've played the first one beforehand. Not only will it give you a little more context going in to the world of TW2 but you will have already built a stronger connection to Geralt and some of the other characters from the get go, both of which may help you get into TW2.

I'd actually say TW1 is the better game as well. TW2 was an amazing experience in itself don't get me wrong (still one of my all time favs), it did some fantastic things with player choice (as did TW1) and it's a lot more polished over the first game too but there was a lot I preferred with TW1 tbh, including the story. Just force yourself through the beginning sections of the game (the outskirts) if you give it a go as this is where a lot of people tend to give up on it, myself included. Once it gets going though it's pretty epic imo, just have to give it a chance. Also whilst I didn't feel the need to use them myself you can find combat mods for it too which apparently make that side of it better.

anyway, I really cannot wait for TW3 :D

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:52 pm

SL33PY
tw1 is not necessary, I hated it... loved tw2... did not get lost tbh.. I think that the part where you are lost is from way in the beginning

also watchdogs still on track, seems some culprit fraudulentely started the procedure to remove the ip from ubisoft's portfolio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 2:59 pm

M.Steiner
Who else has been playing the Titanfall beta then, other than myself, Mech & Ava? Impressions? :)
Anyone else planning to give it a try too if not?
@M-Steiner • I'm having fun with it so far but I don't think it's anything particularly groundbreaking tbh
@M-Steiner • Infantry combat is like CoD meets Mirror's Edge heh
@M-Steiner • Movement is damn good in that respect, makes a nice change.
@M-Steiner • They could do with cutting the lobby time down a bit, shorten the wait before you can jump in.
@M-Steiner • Graphically it's not anything to write home about either but that's not surprising considering it's an X1/360 title too. That being said that's not so much a negative as fps and performance comes first and foremost with a multiplayer FPS rather than amazing visuals
@M-Steiner • Question will be how much replayability the full game will have I think. Need to read up a bit more on that later.
So yeah, enjoying my time with the beta so far. Recently I've been a little on the fence about pre-ordering it tbh but it has been a good opportunity to try it before I buy as it were.
Most of them are locked out of the beta but it looks like there will be a lot of unlocks and attachments to work towards in the full game (along with your level, different loadouts, challenges etc) which should keep things fresh for a while. Games like Battlefield always give you lots of that stuff to work towards (plus the different camos and profile customizations) which helps stop things from getting boring too soon. I read there are to be 16 maps in the full game too but that is just a rumour atm I think and has yet to be confirmed, that's more than I would have expected though if true and should offer a nice variety and add to its replayability as well.

I can see the game selling pretty well and whilst I do like what I see, I don't necessarily think it lives up to the crazy amount of hype some people have given it. My description of "CoD meets Mirror's Edge" feels about right for the core infantry gameplay, but with the addition of the titan combat in there (both AI controlled and player), and the bots there's enough there to make it feel less similar for the game as a whole. Nothing truly amazing at the end of the day (imo) but still a lot of fun all the same.

As said, graphically it looks poor when you compare it to other recent and soon upcoming releases. Very last gen infact. On the plus side though I'm able to run the game at 1080p with everything on high (8xMSAA / 16x Anisotropic too) and still hit a constant 60fps. Obviously for a first-person shooter your performance and FPS comes first rather the graphics. Shame it can't have both though. - (To note: I did have to turn the texture resolution down from insane to high. I managed to play a game with it set to insane and was still hitting 60fps but I was having a lot of connection issues when trying to get into a game and I eventually discovered that it was this setting which was causing it. Matches would take much longer for my system to load, there'd be some slowdown/skipping on the loadout screen at the start of a game and then I'd be hit with a "retrying connection" message and have it time out and kick me out. Maybe because my PC was taking too long to load it all? Not sure. Either way dropping that down to high seemed to fix it as I haven't had any connection or loading issues since then.

Anyway... Leaning more towards buying it now after having played the beta for myself but gonna play some more later.
If you didn't get an invite for the beta btw (or can't be bothered getting yourself in which is quite frankly a piece of piss), the beta will be opening up to all shortly. Should give it a try whilst it's available :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:27 pm

M.Steiner
If you registered for the Titanfall PC Beta prior to 4pm PST on Saturday, February 15th, you have been granted access to the Beta. Users will start seeing the Beta appear in their 'My Games Library' in Origin over the next several hours.
:thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:34 pm

M.Steiner
I linked this on IRC just recently actually but it's something I've been following for a little while now, I know Isi said he had been too. For those of you interested in city-building/management strategy games it just released this evening :)
$19.99|£14.99 on Steam

If you're in the UK you can actually get it slightly cheaper from the Humble Store at £11.99 which includes both a Steam key and a DRM free copy. Or from the Shining Rock Software site for the same price as US Steam ($19.99) which works out at around the same price too. :thumb:

Developed by just one guy btw, pretty incredible imo :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I need to find some time to at least watch some Titanfall videos if nothing else given how much it's been discussed this last week :)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:31 pm

M.Steiner
I haven't fully decided whether I'll get Titanfall yet. The beta was fun and all and having played it I'm still leaning more towards buying than I was before, but I'm just not sure how long it would keep me entertained in the long run compared to other multiplayer shooters like Battlefield. I got over 200 hours play out of BF3 & 4 and I still go back to the latter every now and then. Tons of playability there and the BF series is more like what I go for in an FPS, just not sure if there will be with Titanfall if I'm completely honest.

Lots of other games to consider buying this month and next too; Banished & TLOU DLC out now, Thief and RE4 HD out next week, then South Park, FFX HD, MGSV: Ground Zeroes, inFamous: Second Son, and ofc Titanfall itself.
Already own or have pre-ordered a few of those but I won't be getting every single one of them for launch.. hmm

Let us know what you guys decide. If a few of you are going to be getting it then I may too so we can play some games together, otherwise I may not bother or just get it later on when it's cheaper. Will see.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:02 am

SL33PY
Just got my key for THIEF: Master Thief Edition from gmg :D :D

I :thumb:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:57 pm

M.Steiner
weee, me too :)
Got another week before we can actually play it ofc but pre-loading is already live.

Return to “General Discussions”