TV Chat & Recommendations

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: Your top tv drama shows (+ general tv chat/recommendatio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:36 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Ok, I finished Dexter:
Hmmm. I was all ready to say that the show wasn't how I'd have ended it (I'd have had him being investigated and found out, as mentioned earlier), but I could see why they'd gone that route and actually came to quite like the idea of it ending with him becoming whole and giving it up - I'd felt he'd been becoming more human for a few series at this point so it wouldn't be a huge leap for me (especially with Hannah involved, who was by far the best romance option of the lot for me). Vogel as a character was a bit rushed and lacked build up, and there were a few other flaws in Season 8 overall, but I was willing to look past them.

However, the final episode threw that a lot. I did not like what they did with Deb at all - felt it very unnecessary. I also hated the idea of him killing them both and just abandoning Harrison with Hannah - it flies against everything we'd seen since Rita died. Him surviving makes it worse in some ways due to the sheer impossibility of it. And speaking of that, there were a few things in that episode which seemed ridiculous - the cop at the cells not knowing he'd left, for example. It rankled with me.

I think I'm disappointed more than anything. I didn't think it was a bad series, though the least of the 8, and felt that the criticism had been overblown, but that last episode kinda ruined it for me. Yeah, disappointing - a shame. The show has still been WELL worth my time overall though in fairness, and I'd rate it as a very solid show. Very glad I picked it up.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:28 pm

M.Steiner
I read this last week:
Source: http://www.vulture.com/2013/10/dexter-w ... exter.html
The Dexter series finale enraged many fans for many reasons; chief among them was the fact that Dexter lived — and became a logger? — despite having driven his boat into a hurricane. "How about that finale?" said Dexter producer John Goldwyn at the NYFF premiere of The Secret Life of Walter Mitty this weekend, when we asked how the writers decided on that ending. "They won't let us kill him," he told us. "Showtime was very clear about that. When we told them the arc for the last season, they just said, 'Just to be clear, he's going to live.' There were a lot of endings discussed because it was a very interesting problem to solve, to bring it to a close. People have a relationship with Dexter, even if it doesn't have the size and the ferocity of the fan base for Breaking Bad. But it has a very core loyal following." Yes, and a mostly disappointed one.
This is what happens when the networks start dictating shit instead of letting the show runners and writers do what they felt was right for the story and its central characters, unlike Breaking Bad which ended on nobody else's terms but Vince Gilligan and his team of writers and it showed. It could not have been more perfect.
Showtime aren't fully at fault though to be fair. The writers could still have salvaged season 8 and its finale if they had wanted to and worked around that, previous seasons just go to show what they were really capable of, but to me it often felt like they just weren't bothered at times. Can I really blame them though if they were possibly being forced to end the show differently to how they really wanted to?. Not really. I liked the character of Hannah (and agree on the love interest too) and the Vogel story itself wasn't too bad either but for me a lot of the story from season 8 and the introducing of those new characters with it just didn't fit in a final season. Watching it each week just felt like they were wasting time and it was like I was waiting for something really big to go down and start to offer some real closure as you would expect in those weeks, but it didn't until the last episode which just annoyed me more and left me feeling disappointed and angry. Which just went against everything I had expected and wanted from it all these years. I still love the show on the whole and this doesn't discount some of the previous seasons ofc. There have been some really standout moments in those which are still some of my favourites in tv as well, but it's because of that I was left feeling that way with the finale. The show and the writers were so much better than that and I find it sad that it had to be the finale they really screwed up on and for the final season to have been the weakest of them all when it could have (and really should have) been one of the very best. Dexter deserved a better send off.
I am glad you enjoyed it on the whole too despite your disappointment at the finale, twas a good ride :)
I know it was one of the shows you were thinking about along with Game of Thrones and eventually going back to finishing House as well, and you probably expect me to say it anyway lol, but I hope you will strongly consider Breaking Bad as your next show mate. Do take into account also that the show only ever gets better and more intense the further along the journey and transformation of Walter White you go. I guarantee you will not be disappointed after watching it all. You will understand why it has been getting such massive attention and praise ;)

Here's a letter from Anthony Hopkins (the original Hannibal Lecter) to Bryan Cranston. The actor who plays Gomez put it up on facebook:
Dear Mister Cranston.

I wanted to write you this email - so I am contacting you through Jeremy Barber - I take it we are both represented by UTA . Great agency.

I've just finished a marathon of watching "BREAKING BAD" - from episode one of the First Season - to the last eight episodes of the Fifth Season. (I downloaded the last season on AMAZON) A total of two weeks (addictive) viewing.

I have never watched anything like it. Brilliant!

Your performance as Walter White was the best acting I have seen - ever.

I know there is so much smoke blowing and sickening bullshit in this business, and I've sort of lost belief in anything really.

But this work of yours is spectacular - absolutely stunning. What is extraordinary, is the sheer power of everyone in the entire production. What was it? Five or six years in the making? How the producers (yourself being one of them), the writers, directors, cinematographers.... every department - casting etc. managed to keep the discipline and control from beginning to the end is (that over used word) awesome.

From what started as a black comedy, descended into a labyrinth of blood, destruction and hell. It was like a great Jacobean, Shakespearian or Greek Tragedy.

If you ever get a chance to - would you pass on my admiration to everyone - Anna Gunn, Dean Norris, Aaron Paul, Betsy Brandt, R.J. Mitte, Bob Odenkirk, Jonathan Banks, Steven Michael Quezada - everyone - everyone gave master classes of performance ... The list is endless.

Thank you. That kind of work/artistry is rare, and when, once in a while, it occurs, as in this epic work, it restores confidence.

You and all the cast are the best actors I've ever seen.

That may sound like a good lung full of smoke blowing. But it is not. It's almost midnight out here in Malibu, and I felt compelled to write this email.

Congratulations and my deepest respect. You are truly a great, great actor.

Best regards

Tony Hopkins.
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Oh, Breaking Bad will be my next show - sorry, I thought I mentioned that I settled on that a couple of weeks ago. I just may insert some more House in between the two is all, to make for something different.

Showtime butting in kinda explains a lot to me actually, typical. At least it wasn't a bad final season overall, imo, even if it didn't perhaps work out as might be considered optimal...

Also, a friend just gave me this. Fitting - especially the comments ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:28 pm

M.Steiner
hahaha, very fitting indeed. They should dub that over the credits :lol:
Also great to hear you're going with Breaking Bad next!. I am excited for you being able to experience all of that for the first time. Enjoy mate, I will look forward to hearing what you think once you've started watching! :D
You have one luxury now that it has finished airing which we didn't and that's being able to watch at your own pace so that's cool. Waiting for the next episode after some of those cliffhangers or where the story had been left off... goddamn lol.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:03 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Weeeeell my decision to watch Breaking Bad next may not be completely true now.

I watched the first episode tonight and liked it, I do have a feeling it's a series I'll like if it carries on in that vein, but because it's a series I think I'll like I really want to watch DVDs rather than anything else. I was thinking of getting Seasons 1-4 bundled to start immediately and then Season 5 later, but I've actually ended up ordering The Complete Series boxset because it works out cheaper. Downside? Of course, that doesn't release until November 25.

So I think for now I'm going to go back and finish House off whilst I wait. Breaking Bad will definitely be the next show I watch - I just might not get to it for a month or so!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:30 am

M.Steiner
As excited as I was to hear you were going to be starting Breaking Bad next (both from a personal standpoint of recommending it and also knowing what's in store for you as a first time viewer) I'd say you've made the right call ;)
Better to just get the complete boxset since it's releasing next month, especially if it worked out cheaper for you. Means waiting a little longer ofc but I think you'll be very pleased you bought it once you're done watching!. You've made a wise purchase there my friend, one you will come to cherish ^^

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:09 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:but because it's a series I think I'll like I really want to watch DVDs rather than anything else.
I was thinking Anny... You choose to watch your shows in your living room with the big screen and that's why you don't make use of your PS3s built-in blu-ray player, right?
Why not get a standalone player to stick in there and upgrade to the complete blu-ray boxset of it instead?. Players are super cheap these days compared to what they were when they first started coming out. I've had mine for around 5 years now and they're at least half the price they were back then, you may be surprised at how cheap infact. Don't need anything super expensive or fancy either, just something that will do the job. Since you've chosen to buy a set it seems a shame to be getting the DVDs when they're intended for the huge tv in your living room and we're lucky enough to be getting a complete blu-ray release of it over here that's all. Cos I was just thinking, if you're wanting to watch the show in the best quality available to you then other than doing the above and opening that up as an option, the 720p downloads of it would actually be better for you than DVD in all honesty.

Failing that, does said tv have a USB imput?. I'll assume it does since most tv's do, including my bedroom tv which is just 32" and a few years old now. If you're not open to the above regarding the standalone player you could perhaps acquire the eps in 720p, stick them on a USB pen and watch them in your living room that way?. I would still suggest buying a set since you'll be supporting them more by doing so and this is a show you'll really want in your collection, but in terms of quality the 720p encodes will be superior to DVDs if you can't/won't consider blu-ray. The only thing you're gaining in the living room with DVD is screen size, not quality. Infact from my experience some SD content can begin to look worse the bigger the HD screen it is being played on tbh so you could actually be losing quality there as well.

So if it's quality you're after then: Blu-ray release for full 1080p > 720p downloads > DVD release > 300mb(ish) HDTV downloads.
When I say 720p downloads I don't just mean torrents btw. You can legally buy it in HD from places like iTunes too if you want to go that route (I'm assuming it's 720p they have which will have aired on the HD channels), or you could even sign up for a free month trial of Netflix and stream it in HD that way too. There's a few options to go with really but all are better than going with standard-def when there's plenty of HD sources available to you, imho. Up to you at the end of the day though, just some food for thought ;)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
My Breaking Bad boxset arrived today, so finally going to get started with that properly :)

That is, of course, after I finish marathonning classic Doctor Who (thank you anniversary). So maybe in a week or two :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:03 pm

M.Steiner
With only a couple of weeks left of the year I thought I'd post a list of my favourite new shows of 2013.
Consider these recommendations if you're looking for something new and recent to check out! :thumb:

Best tv of 2013 (not including returning shows):
#10 - The Americans
#9 - Rectify
#8 - Orphan Black
#7 - Orange Is the New Black
#6 - The Fall
#5 - Broadchurch
#4 - An Adventure in Space and Time
#3 - Hannibal
#2 - The Returned
#1 - House of Cards

- Honourable mentions: Wentworth, In the Flesh, Bates Motel, My Mad Fat Diary, Top of the Lake & The Wrong Mans.
- Best returning shows: Breaking Bad (by far), Person of Interest, Game of Thrones & Mad Men.
- Special mention also goes to "The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot" and the 50th Anniversary special itself (Doctor Who). The Five(ish) Doctors would have made my list too but I decided to just pick 1 rather than have 2 DW picks on there, I went with the stunning "An Adventure in Space and Time" from Mark Gatiss.
- Most disappointing: Dexter, Under the Dome & The Following.

Few potential new shows for 2014 too:
- True Detective (HBO)
- The Leftovers (HBO) [Damon Lindelof of Lost]
- Helix (Syfy) [Ronald D. Moore of BSG]
- The Stain (FX) [Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan with Carlton Cuse of Lost as showrunner]

True Detective and Helix start next month (January 12th and 10th) if either of those look to be of interest to any of you. I've only recently become aware of Helix but I have high hopes for True Detective.
Not sure on dates for when some of the other shows will be returning but the whole second season of House of Cards will be released on Feb 14th (Netflix), really cannot wait for that :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:23 am

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:Not sure on dates for when some of the other shows will be returning but the whole second season of House of Cards will be released on Feb 14th (Netflix), really cannot wait for that :)
Just announced - Hannibal returns for its second season on Feb 28th ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 8:36 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:
M.Steiner wrote:Not sure on dates for when some of the other shows will be returning but the whole second season of House of Cards will be released on Feb 14th (Netflix), really cannot wait for that :)
Just announced - Hannibal returns for its second season on Feb 28th ;)
In my diary to reserve the time :D

Thanks for the heads up!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
It is coming! :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:07 am

M.Steiner
Really great trailer ^^
Not long to wait now!. House of Cards is first on Feb 14th though :D

Started both Helix and True Detective last week.
Helix seems pretty interesting so far but I'm not completely sold on it just yet. Kinda like... Resident Evil meets Alien/The Thing heh. Remains to be seen whether I'll end up dropping it but I'm gonna give it a chance and continue watching for now, see how it goes.
True Detective on the other hand did not disappoint one bit, just brilliant as expected. Still think it has the potential to become one of the best new shows in a long time and I'd be quite surprised if it doesn't tbh. Will keep watching for sure.
http://www.artofthetitle.com/title/true-detective/ - Same people who did the first E3 introduction trailers for Watch Dogs & The Division ;)

Also I haven't posted about this yet (though have mentioned on IRC a couple of times) but I would highly recommend The Good Wife. Haven't seen anyone else mention it here or on IRC before besides me but it's definitely worth a watch!
Had it on my list for checking out for quite some time now but I finally got around to giving it a try last month. Totally hooked. So much infact that I've already finished the first 4 seasons and I'll be starting season 5 this week at some point lol (currently airing on tv atm).
Incredible cast as well. Spotted people from The Sopranos, The Wire, Lost, Mad Men, House, Breaking Bad.. Recently had a guest appearance from John Noble (Fringe) and Kyle MacLachlan (Twin Peaks). Michael J. Fox has a recurring role on there too, Matthew Perry etc... Probably the best show I've seen for guest stars actually. Anyway, tis really gripping stuff. Just love it :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I will be picking up True Detective in the next few days after seeing you guys praise it so highly on IRC. Hopefully I'll enjoy it just as much :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:33 pm

M.Steiner
If you're not too fussed about watching it at US pace like us and/or would prefer to have it recorded or whatever, Sky Atlantic are going to be airing it as well mate.
Seen a few adverts for it already. They don't give a date (just say "coming soon") but it's supposed to be Feb 22nd at 9pm. Read a few days ago :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:57 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:I will be picking up True Detective in the next few days after seeing you guys praise it so highly on IRC.
M.Steiner wrote:If you're not too fussed about watching it at US pace like us and/or would prefer to have it recorded or whatever, Sky Atlantic are going to be airing it as well mate.
Seen a few adverts for it already. They don't give a date (just say "coming soon") but it's supposed to be Feb 22nd at 9pm. Read a few days ago :)
yep, if you still haven't picked it up - Sky Atlantic tonight at 9pm. Seeing adverts for it left right and centre :thumb:
Enjoy. By far the best thing on tv right now.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:21 pm

Whizbang
While I'm glad that there are 2 episodes left (finally get to see how this all is going to wrap up) I'm also sad that there are only 2 episodes left of True Detective. This is by far the best thing I've been watching that is current (also watching s3 of GoT so I am caught up for when s4 starts in April). Highly recommended because the writing has been superb.

Also, saw an advert last night for a new HBO series called Silicon Valley. Looks like it could be a good one if the trailer is anything to consider. You can check it out here.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:32 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Hannibal Season 2 in four days.
That is all :D

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:13 pm

M.Steiner
Mechanus wrote:While I'm glad that there are 2 episodes left (finally get to see how this all is going to wrap up) I'm also sad that there are only 2 episodes left of True Detective. This is by far the best thing I've been watching that is current (also watching s3 of GoT so I am caught up for when s4 starts in April). Highly recommended because the writing has been superb.
aye, agreed there. Just like Breaking Bad did, just when you think True Detective couldn't get any better or crazier they somehow manage to top it. 8 episodes seemed really short at first (and it still kinda is compared to some shows) but the pacing could not have been better. Will be sad to see it finish in 2 weeks (but also excited to see how it wraps up and eventually find out who and what they have planned for season 2's story) but yeah, has been just as good as I'd hoped it would be if not better. Honestly, I think once this finishes it'll probably end up sitting firmly up top alongside some of the best shows I've seen.
Also, saw an advert last night for a new HBO series called Silicon Valley. Looks like it could be a good one if the trailer is anything to consider. You can check it out here.
I hadn't come across this show before so thanks for linking, Mech. Looks like it may be worth trying so will be sure to make a note of it :)

Been having a look around for other new and upcoming shows as well, these ones caught my eye:
Turn (April 6th | AMC)
Fargo (April 15th | FX)
Penny Dreadful (May 11th | Showtime)
Halt & Catch Fire (June | AMC)
Wayward Pines (July | Fox)
Better Call Saul (Nov | AMC) (Breaking Bad prequel/spin-off)
Battle Creek (Autumn | CBS) (Vince Gilligan and David Shore, creators of Breaking Bad & House.)
also
The Strain (July | FX) (Guillermo del Toro & Chuck Hogan)
The Leftovers (HBO) (Damon Lindelof's (LOST) return to tv)
which I've linked before :)

Excited for season 2 of Hannibal too. Thief, RE4 HD and Hannibal at the end of this week = awesome.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:47 am

Anubis
Site Admin
So Hannibal is now back and making a fool out of every other show on TV once again!

That premiere...god I missed this show!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:32 am

M.Steiner
What a fantastic start to the new season indeed. Tis going to be very interesting to see what events lead up to that opening scene!
For me, both True Detective and House of Cards would come before it but Hannibal would still be up there with them in terms of shows still on air. Crackin' ep, can't wait for next weeks installment :)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 1:52 am

M.Steiner
I know Mech will be interested in this one:
"Arriving for the first time on stunning High Definition Blu-ray with English 7.1 DTS-HD Master Audio on July 29th, this comprehensive collection contains every episode from the complete television series; both the U.S. and international versions of the series’ Pilot; the North American Blu-ray debut of Lynch’s follow-up feature Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me; and nearly 90 minutes of deleted and alternate scenes from the film.

The set also features newly transferred Log Lady introductions for each episode; picture upgrades to many shots in the TV series; a new featurette with Lynch and the actors who portrayed the Palmer family which includes a mesmerizing return to the lives of their characters today; and hours of never-before-released material that dives into the fascinating story behind the celebrated pop culture classic.

Along with a newly transferred version of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me, created from a 4K scan of the original negative, Twin Peak - The Entire Mystery Blu-ray box set boasts the long-awaited missing pieces from the original version of the film – nearly an hour-and-a-half of deleted/alternate scenes from Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me – often referred to as the “holy grail” of Twin Peaks fandom. This feature-length experience has been directed and edited by Lynch exclusively for this release. Capping off more than 30 deleted/alternate scenes is an epilogue providing a fascinating glimpse beyond the cliffhanger finale of the TV series.

Twin Peak - The Entire Mystery is loaded with special features. In the two-part feature “Between Two Worlds,” Lynch himself interviews the Palmer family (Leland, Sarah and daughter Laura) about their current existence in this life and the next, and follows up with a discussion with the actors who portray them. Twin Peak - The Entire Mystery also features “Moving Through Time: Fire Walk With Me Memories,” an exclusive retrospective documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew who recount the making of the Twin Peaks movie and working with David Lynch. The collection also features high-definition versions of the Log Lady episode introductions, transferred from recently unearthed 16mm film negative, a selection of newly discovered deleted scenes and outtakes from the television series, and three Twin Peaks photo galleries with over 130 behind-the-scenes images from David Lynch’s personal never-before-released collection.

Also new to this release are 10 vignettes of iconic Twin Peaks themes called “Atmospherics.” Each features a unique montage of music, dialogue and video (including some rare outtakes) that appear as both menu backgrounds and as their own textless experience to further immerse fans in the mysterious world of Twin Peaks. Additionally, the set features a massive collection of pre-existing special features, some of which have been re-mastered in high definition exclusively for this release, including the award-winning four-part documentary “Secrets From Another Place: Creating Twin Peaks,” and a newly extended version of the Gold Box featurette “A Slice of Lynch,” featuring the complete and uncut conversation between David Lynch and actors Kyle MacLachlan and Mädchen Amick.

Additionally, this 10-disc set houses an extraordinary archive of special features culled from the entire history of Twin Peaks on home video, including featurettes, cast and crew interviews, promotional reels, archival deleted scenes...and much, much more."

Lovely stuff, I'm sure you'll agree!. Amazon pre-order here btw.
Now for a UK release announcement... [Edit: Amazon UK here. weeee]
:D

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:40 pm

M.Steiner
Anyone else here watch last years "The Fall" btw?. The serial killer drama with Gillian Anderson & Jamie Dornan?
Returning in a couple of weeks if so! - If you didn't, season 1 was only 5 episodes if you wanted to get caught for it. Would definitely recommend it, some damn good tv imo. Hopefully S2 will be just as good :)
(9pm btw)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:08 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
I'm following Gotham at the moment. Not bad at all so far, but it's not the greatest thing of all time. I've heard good things about The Flash but have yet to try that.

I'll probably pick up The Fall Season Two too, or at the very least marathon it when it's done!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:42 am

SL33PY
we just ended our second season of breaking bad, so tonight we'll start with season 3 :) I'm liking it a lot atm

Return to “General Discussions”