TV Chat & Recommendations

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: Your top tv drama shows (+ general tv chat/recommendatio

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:12 pm

M.Steiner
^
Well for anyone interested, the Veronica Mars Kickstarter ended 8 hours ago ^^
  • Fastest Kickstarter project to reach $1 million.
  • Fastest Kickstarter project to reach $2 million.
  • Highest minimum goal target achieved.
  • All-time highest-funded project of its category.
  • Third highest-funded project in Kickstarter history.
  • Most backed project in Kickstarter history.
91,585 Backers | $5,702,153 Raised

Well done to everyone else who decided to support it, awesome job! ;D
Exciting times are ahead!. Not just for the movie these guys will finally get to make for us and the future of Veronica Mars but I firmly believe this will have a similar effect on future film/tv projects on Kickstarter just like the Double Fine Adventure did for games. The highest funded film to ever appear on Kickstarter before this only had 10k backers and didn't even reach 1m. This passed the $1 million mark in just over 4 hours of its launching (beating the record previously set by Torment which was just over 6 hours) and reached 2m in just 10.
Ofc we won't start to see massive budget Hollywood blockbusters appearing on there just like we don't with games, but for shows/movies similar to VM I don't see why not. If the DFA hadn't done what it did we'd have never seen the likes of Torment, Wasteland 2, Project Eternity, Dreamfall Chapters etc appearing on there. No way. The huge success of the VM Kickstarter (it has just broken Double Fine's record of most backers too if you didn't notice above) has just created the same opportunity for the film category too I believe and I'm sure this will set the ball rolling.
This was another big milestone in Kickstarter & crowdfunding history and it was great to be there in support of it and help make it happen. Exciting times are ahead as I say!

Anyhow that is all, just great to have one of my favs back and it's exciting to think what else may come of this hehe :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 pm

M.Steiner
Just a quick update on the shows I've been following since I haven't posted in a while! :)

THE FOLLOWING:
Finished airing at the beginning of last week. Disappointing on the whole and actually pretty <censored> dire in parts tbh but it did have some good moments and it did improve slightly as the series went on. I will give season 2 a second chance next year (already been renewed) and see how far they've come with that, then decide whether to continue watching it or not.

THE AMERICANS:
Also finished its first season at the end of last week. Brilliant throughout imo, will definitely be watching this again when it returns. If you're looking for new shows to try this is one of the ones I would recommend.

BROADCHURCH:
Finished 2-3 weeks ago and another great series but this time a British murder mystery for ITV from Kudos. This went down extremely well in the UK and had lots of speculating each week as to who the killer(s) was/were. Incredibly gripping drama and another new show I would recommend checking out. They are already making plans for a second series.

TOP OF THE LAKE | RECTIFY:
These two were recommended to me by BD just recently (though I was already aware of the first one due to Elisabeth Moss (Mad Men) starring in it). Both of these are worth considering too.

BATES MOTEL | WENTWORTH:
2 slightly different shows here and 2 shows which kinda took me by surprise.
- Bates Motel covers Norman as a teenager when him as his mother first move into the Motel together except it is set in modern times, not the 1950s as you would expect. So it's not a true prequel to Psycho exactly, but a kind of modern reimagined prequel if that makes sense. Sounds weird I agree and as a massive Hitchcock fan I wasn't even going to bother with it initially but I decided to give it a go in the end and I'm glad I did. Really surprised by how much I've enjoyed this. I originally came across this due to Carlton Cuse being behind it (one of the lead guys on Lost for those unaware). I like to keep tabs on what him and Damon (Lindelof) have been up to since Lost, just to see what their next tv projects would be. Anyway.. This turned out to be one of my "new show highlights" personally and another I'd recommend. 2 more episodes left to air and has already been renewed which is great.
-Secondly we have Wentworth. This is based on the 70s/80s Australian prison drama, Prisoner (or Prisoner Cell Block H as it was known over here due to "The Prisoner"). It is set in the modern day but it is not a sequel or continuation of the original show. This one is more like a reimagining / loose remake. The prison is named the same and some of the characters share the same names as some of the original cast of characters too but their stories differ from those of the original, their roles are not all the same, it introduces new characters and it's not the same Prison building either. I have always been a fan of the original show and when I first saw trailers for this I actually laughed out loud so I hadn't really entertained the idea of watching it, especially when seeing one particular "reimagined" character go from a white female to black lol. After reading a bunch of surprisingly good feedback from other fans of the original though, who were also skeptical at the thought of this new show to say the least, I decided to give this a go too. Only 2 eps of this have aired so far so it's still early days yet but both my brother and I were surprised to like this. It's actually pretty good. Will continue watching and see how it turns out.

HANNIBAL:
Just watched the first episode last night. Anthony Hopkins will always be the Hannibal Lecter so I think it'll take me a few episodes to get used to seeing Mads Mikkelsen's portrayal of the character but I fully expected this going in. Freddie Highmore plays a very believable Norman in Bates Motel as you can see shades of future him starting to come through but with him being just a young lad instead of the adult that Anthony Perkins played you don't really have the same issue there like you can with Hannibal. It's difficult to disassociate Hopkins from the role especially when he played the part so incredibly well.
It does look like it'll be a good watch though. Great pacing throughout, good acting and pretty dark too. I have 1 worry though and it's a big one. This is one of those shows which has been well reviewed and people who watch it seem to speak very positively about it but the ratings it has been getting in the US have been extremely poor from what I understand. This has not been renewed for a second series yet and unless they start to show improvement I think there's a high chance it'll get cancelled tbh, and if not this season then next. I don't generally like to start watching shows which look like they are at risk of cancellation so that's a little worrying for me. I will keep watching though and keep my fingers crossed.

PERSON OF INTEREST:
This is not one of the new shows for this year but I thought it was one worth mentioning again since the only other person I know of who watches this (or did do) is Mech, also since my list from the OP needs a bit of updating it isn't currently on there atm either when it should be.
This is the tv drama I have often referred to as "Watch Dogs the tv show". One of the very best shows airing right now and something a lot of you here would probably really enjoy given how Watch Dogs is one of the most anticipated games of this year for several of us here.
The season 2 finale aired last night and was absolutely fantastic. More of you need to get on this already ;)

Last but not least - One upcoming show is "The Fall" with Gillian Anderson.
"A psychological thriller that examines the lives of two hunters. One is a serial killer who stalks his victims at random in and around Belfast and the other is a talented female Detective Superintendent from the MET who is brought in to catch him."
This starts on Monday (13th on BBC2 at 9pm) so we'll see what that is like next week!...

Any one else been following any other new shows which are worth mentioning? or any upcoming shows you've seen which look potentially interesting?
Watched any of the above too? What did you make of them? :)

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Oh, you picked up Hannbial already? Glad to hear you enjoyed it - I really need to make some time when I can, as like I told you last night it's really caught my eye :)

Disappointing to hear the ratings haven't been too great though. Hope they stick with it... Being a veteran of Sci Fi it's not like almost all of my favourite shows haven't been axed themselves though, so as long as what was made was good I don't think it potentially getting the axe would bother me too much thankfully.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 8:29 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Being a veteran of Sci Fi it's not like almost all of my favourite shows haven't been axed themselves though, so as long as what was made was good I don't think it potentially getting the axe would bother me too much thankfully.
Yeah, I was worried for Fringe as well at one point as their ratings kept falling on and off all the way through really, despite the show getting better as the seasons went on. Was quite lucky with that but I think the love of the fans, the passion behind the cast and crew and the fact that the network believed in the show too all helped see that through and be renewed again so they could end the show how they envisioned. I'd have been pissed if they hadn't after 5 years lol.

All depends when a show is cancelled too really, and how far ahead they are with filming at that particular point in time (since some continue filming whilst a season is on air). I don't mind so much if a season ends on a high note and its given ending naturally works as a series finale too and manages to wrap most things up without leaving too much hanging there. Just hate it when I've spent however many weeks, months or years watching a show to have it be axed and either end on some cliffhanger which ultimately never leads to anything, or have major parts of its story forever left unresolved because they weren't able to finish it. Bloody annoying heh.

Fingers crossed anyway. I'll continue to watch at Sky Living pace rather than US I think :) (Saying this, it's strange how they decided to put this on Living and not Sky Atlantic or even Sky1 actually. I don't think I have ever watched a tv drama on that channel before. Just Most Haunted when it used to be Living TV before Sky bought it, and before that was axed too haha.)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:37 pm

M.Steiner
Just came across this and thought I'd share it. Be warned though as it contains spoilers from every season so if you've never watched the show before you may want to avoid. Then again it's a good example of how awesome it is. Still the best show still airing by a long way and one of the best I've ever seen too.
Really, really well done :)

I'm sure you'll all be aware (those of you who watch it that is) but just incase not, the return date for the final 8 episodes was announced a month or two ago. August 11th ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Daren't watch it if it contains huge spoilers, but the show still is on my list.

I'll get to it...someday lol :D
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:36 pm

M.Steiner
This news seems kinda relevant to this thread given my list.

James Gandolfini has died :( :(
Heartbreaking.

Such a huge loss. Actually really shocked by this tbh, so sad.
R.I.P. T
(the rest here. Saw this myself ages ago.)

How James Gandolfini's Tony changed TV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 1:52 am

M.Steiner
Any of you guys seen the first episode of "Under the Dome" by any chance? and if so, any initial impressions to share?. I haven't gone looking for any to read but it seems to have been getting some good reviews from what I hear?
I do generally like a lot of Stephen King's work and Brian Vaughan is doing the tv show it seems, I know he did some decent writing on Lost back when that was on tv so could be interesting to see how well he does with this.
Several of my shows have just wrapped up for the year plus the majority of my spring animes finish at the end of this week too so I may give this show a go and see what I think...

The Fall and Hannibal were brilliant btw and would highly recommend both. Really glad to see them get a second series which I certainly did not expect with Hannibal due to the ratings. It still risks getting the axe at the end of S2 next year if they don't improve but they obviously have faith in the show and those who did watch it seem to have responded very well to it so fingers crossed. Nice to have been proved wrong for the first season at least. Also great to hear that the launch of BBC2's The Fall was the highest rated drama they have had in 8 years. Very nice. Really looking forward to the continuation of that in particular.
Wentworth finishes next week too which has also been very good.

The final season of Dexter begins this Sunday as well. Nearly forgot about it lol :D

and:
Not too far away now either.

Just to think that these 2 will soon be over with completely, gonna be sad to see them go... I'm sure we're in for one hell of a ride though and BB is going to go down as one of the greatest tv dramas ever.
They appear to have finally released the individual season blu-rays of that in the UK now so I'm going to hold out for a complete boxset. Make it happen! Will be a day1 buy.

[Edit] Been looking at other new shows for the summer too. May look at picking up:

Ray Donovan (June 30th | Showtime)
The Bridge (July 10th | FX)
Orange Is the New Black (July 11th | Netflix)
Low Winter Sun (August 11th | AMC)

Anyone seen any others possibly worth considering?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Yeah, I've been meaning to post about Hannibal. Such a good series, and I'm really glad I picked it up :)

I can't understand why the numbers in the US tailed off, as it's one of the best shows I've watched in a few years now. Just glad that the people at the network saw the promise and gave it another season - really wouldn't have been happy if we hadn't got any more. I seriously recommend anyone who hasn't done so already picks it up!

I'm moving onto Dexter and possibly The Fall sometime soon, though I'm not sure how imminently. Hannibal has really left me in the mood for that kind of show.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:36 pm

M.Steiner
aye me too (glad that I picked it up that is) :)
I think I'll probably always think of Anthony Hopkins first when I think of Hannibal Lecter but Mads Mikkelsen played the character extremely well. Didn't take me as long as I thought it would to adjust to him in the role either actually, he was a very good fit. I shall look forward to seeing what he brings to the table next year!

Watched the first episode of Under the Dome today. Liked what I saw and it left me wanting to know more so I think I'll stick with that for the time being and see how the story unfolds.
Stars Dean Norris (Hank from Breaking Bad) and Jeff Fahey (Frank Lapidus in Lost) too which I didn't realise hehe. Nice surprise.

Also since I posted no links or info for any of those new shows I listed above here's some details:
June 30th | Showtime wrote:Set in the sprawling mecca of the rich and famous, Ray Donovan does the dirty work for LA's top power players. The new one-hour series stars Liev Schreiber as the go-to guy who makes the problems of the city's celebrities, superstar athletes, and business moguls disappear. This powerful drama unfolds when his father, Jon Voight, is unexpectedly released from prison, setting off a chain of events that shakes the Donovan family to its core.
July 10th | FX wrote:Two detectives, from the USA and Mexico, must work together to hunt down a serial killer operating on both sides of the American-Mexican border. Their investigation is complicated by the rampant corruption and general apathy among the Mexican authorities and the violence of the powerful borderland drug cartels. The show title refers to the Bridge of the Americas that serves as a border crossing between El Paso and Juárez, Mexico, the setting of the series.
July 11th | Netflix wrote:Orange Is the New Black is an American Netflix original comedy-drama series.
It revolves around Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling), a New York woman, who is sent to a women's federal prison for possessing a suitcase full of drug money for Alex Vause (Laura Prepon), an international drug smuggler and Chapman's one-time lover. Sentenced to serve a fifteen-month sentence, Chapman must survive the hardships of prison life, as she may have to be a different person to do so.
Low Winter Sun [No trailer for this atm but it's AMC so it's probably worth looking out for I'd say. Premieres on the same night as Breaking Bad returns.]
August 11th | AMC wrote:The AMC Original Series Low Winter Sun is a contemporary story of murder, deception, revenge and corruption in a world where the line between cops and criminals is blurred. Low Winter Sun begins with the murder of a cop by a fellow Detroit detective. Seemingly the perfect crime, in reality the murder activates forces that will forever alter the detective’s life, and pull him into the heart of the Detroit underworld.

Low Winter Sun probably has the most potential I would guess, from a blind point of view simply due to it coming from AMC heh. Breaking Bad finishes for them this year and next year is quite possibly the last series of Mad Men too. Both of which are their best 2 dramas and 2 of the best we've ever had on tv as well. Big shoes to fill and they will know that. It also premieres on the same night as Breaking Bad returns as I say, infact straight after it so they're clearly aiming this at the same audience it seems. - Similarly with Ray Donovan for Showtime since Dexter is ending for them too.
The other 2 sound interesting as well though and Orange is the New Black looks particularly funny going by that trailer lol. Will probably watch all 4 I think :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:37 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Finished the first season of Dexter. It's a decent show, I've enjoyed it. Will definately keep on and watch all eight seasons :)

Have to say though, in all honesty, it's miles behind what Hannibal is. Comparing first season to first season, it's not even in the same league. Kinda wish I had watched it first, because now whilst I'm enjoying it it's just consistently...less.

Still a good show, and as I said I am enjoying it, but yeah...just thought it worth mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:56 am

M.Steiner
See what you think once you're further in mate. For me personally it is hard for me to compare the first seasons of both this and Hannibal to be fair. I would automatically say that Dexter is miles ahead without a second thought but I have been watching it for a long time now so not only does that lead me to being a little biased on the subject but it was years ago that I last saw its first season. I can't really view them on first season only basis without thinking of everything that has followed and judging it on the show as a whole rather than a single, first season of each. Plus we're not just a few seasons into Dexter's story but just weeks away from seeing its conclusion. Hannibal on the other hand (when judging the show as a whole) has only really just started in comparison and whilst it has been brilliant so far we don't know what it will ultimately turn out like or even if it will make it that far.
As far as other new shows go I can honestly say that Hannibal was definitely one of the best of the bunch and looks very promising leading forward too (besides the fear of it being axed next season too that is), but it is far too early for me to start putting it against a long standing show like Dexter after just 1 season when I've seen so much more from that than we have of Hannibal.

Also speaking of wishing you had seen Dexter first. I get that feeling a lot heh. I look forward to the day when you've seen shows like The Sopranos, The Wire & Breaking Bad. Shows which basically set the bar for what tv drama is capable of. They will no doubt put some of the others you've been watching into perspective just like they did for me and many others. Hannibal has been great so far but it doesn't even come close to matching those and as much as I love it, neither does Dexter :)
It is a shame you won't be able to see the final season of Breaking Bad as it airs when it returns next month tbh but know that it will be worth the wait when you (hopefully) get to seeing it ^^

Happy to see you're enjoying it anyway mate, I was always sure you would ever since I first mentioned it when you gave me Death Note to watch. You're certainly in for a ride with lots of twists and turns along the way!
When did you start watching btw?. Before I originally caught up to its tv pace this was one of those shows where I couldn't help myself from watching episodes back to back to see what happened next. Really had me hooked hehe :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:54 pm

Kon
I've started Orange is the New Black. I've only made it 3 episodes in so far, but I've got mixed feelings at this point. The idea of the show is interesting, as was their choice to put it inside a women's prison instead of turning it into a comedic Oz clone. That said, a lot of the show's humor and characterization banks on cheap racial stereotypes. If it gets better, I'll post an update.

Anyone watching the new season of The Newsroom? It looks like they took a different approach this season by wrapping all the RL commentary into a bigger fictional arc. It should hopefully address some of the criticisms about the show being a cheap soapbox for Sorkin's views. I just hope Maggie disappears soon.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:43 pm

M.Steiner
Decided not to follow Ray Donovan but I'll keep my eyes on the ratings and what not just incase I decide to later. Haven't been watching S2 of the Newsroom either but may catch up with that later as well :)
I'm quite enjoying The Bridge & Orange is the New Black atm but they're a bit hit and miss. I will stick with them but it's a shame that 2 of my favourite shows will be completely over with by the end of Sep and some of these new shows are not exactly worthy replacements for them :/
That being said, some of the other new shows this year have been much more promising so at least we have those to look forward to more of too. House of Cards still being my favourite new show of the year I'd say.
(I forgot to post about another show I was watching too now I come to think of it, "Orphan Black". Worth a watch I'd say.)

Started watching this French show I've just finished recording on C4 too:
Only seen the first episode of it so far but if that's anything to go by the rest of the series should be brilliant. Will definitely be watching more of that tonight, most intriguing.

Only 10 days left before Breaking Bad returns for its final 8 episodes too. Cannot bloody wait, but I also don't want it to end :D :(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:47 am

M.Steiner
Holy crap, what an incredible return for Breaking Bad that was tonight. My God.
I'm not sure how it's all going to unfold exactly but a few predictions:
My main prediction last year was that Walt's cancer would return and that some or all of his family would wind up dead because of him. Walt himself won't be killed and he won't end up in prison either but he'd ultimately die alone from his cancer. Everything he set out to do in the beginning will have all been for nothing.
- After tonights episode I can still see that happening (especially since the first part has already come true) but there are lots of other things I'm undecided on atm and several other theories going around in my head atm. I think Jesse knows he was lying and part of me could see the series ending with Jesse killing Walt even. I'm also not exactly sure how the ricin is going to come back into play either but after the garage scene with Hank & Walt (wow!), perhaps we have our victim right there?. Not sure how Hank is going to deal with that revelation. Or... and this may be a stretch but perhaps he'll use it on his family and then later off himself if he sees no way out and doesn't want his family to live with what he'd leave behind?. I have also wondered in the past whether he'd end up killing Skyler as well but they seem on much better terms now so maybe not?. Then there's the reaction of his neighbour Carol in the flashforward to consider too. She either looks terrified/surprised to see him stood there, in which case what else has he done and does that involve his family? or just that everything else he has done up to this point has been all over the news instead, since "Heisenberg" was written all over the wall inside?. Or she's stunned to see him because he faked his death or something?. Perhaps his family are alive but in danger and that's why he's returned? Or Jesse? Could be what the machine gun is for too.
I dunno, so many thoughts and I'm not sure which theories are likely to happen haha. It's not going to be happily ever after that's for sure and we are past the point of redemption I think. I do hope Jesse makes it out alive and well too. I would like to see a happier ending for him.
Absolutely outstanding from start to finish, was totally worth staying up for. I cannot wait for next week!
Those of you who haven't been following it are soooo missing out, I can't stress that enough. If any of my tv recommendations here mean anything you should make a Breaking Bad boxset a top priority once it's finished. You guys won't be disappointed :thumb:

This final season of Dexter on the other hand has been much less so. Still good but also incredibly disappointing for this final season tbh. I hope they can pull it around in the short time that's left but right now I'm not so sure. It was never in the same league as BB but I've always really enjoyed it, some seasons less than others. Fingers crossed that this second half is an improvement.
I only have a few predictions for how Dexter is going to end:
and that is with his death. I can see it happening 3 ways (in no particular order).
1. Another killer outsmarts him. - I'd have never suggested it a few seasons back but after the recent turn of events with Deb I could kind of see her taking on Dexter's role in the end.
2. Deb kills him.
3. Dexter kills himself.
Guess we'll see if I have any correct predictions there at the end of next month or whether I was completely off hehe.
("Low Winter Sun" started its season premiere after Breaking Bad tonight too for anyone interested. I'll be watching that later.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:11 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Sell Breaking Bad to me. What makes it so good and why is it worth watching?

I've looked at the plot summary before now and it always just kind of makes me feel "meh" - not really anything special that I'd jump to watch. It gets a lot of praise though, which is strange for such an uninspiring premise...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 9:30 pm

M.Steiner
Everything really. There's not really one particular thing I can pin point to explain why it's a must watch and what makes it so good really. It's just everything combined makes it one of the greatest pieces of tv there has ever been imo, and will probably sit in one of those top spots for many years to come. I watch and enjoy a lot of tv but shows of its calibre simply don't come around very often at all and I think it will be a long time before we get anything even close to matching it. It's brilliantly written, directed and acted and it has superb pacing too. No dragging shit out for as long as possible. It's actually quite a dark show in places but there is humour in there too. The transformation and journey of Cranton's character and what he has become has been most facinating to watch.
Oz wrote:This may be one of the best written and acted shows I've ever seen (to this point)
BD wrote:@BlackDove • Breaking Bad though, since they've locked down the ending.
@BlackDove • Has been pretty perfect.
@BlackDove • Episode for episode.
I even recommended it to Tepa earlier this year too. After starting that he'd caught up in literally just a couple of days heh.

I'll add too that my top 3 list of shows has pretty much remained the same for several years now. The Sopranos ever since that finished airing in 2007, Six Feet Under I'd finished a little later (but I'd watched a lot of it as it was airing too) and I blind bought The Wire boxset in 2009 after hearing all the love for that too. No other shows in that 4-6 years have entered those ranks for me, not once. Well deserving of their spots and I hold them in extremely high regard. Top tier shit right there and it would take a lot to knock any of them off for me. When I first started watching Breaking Bad I just picked it up randomly for something new to try and never in a million years did I imagine it would become the show it is. It (and his character) has only got better as it has gone on. But back to the point. Unless this show falls apart in these next 7 weeks which I cannot see happening at all, Breaking Bad will be the show to change that for me. Not sure whether it will ultimately become my #1 favourite show ever, #2 or #3 but it will definitely move its way up into my top 3 and no other show has come close to doing that for a long time.

I actually feel somewhat privileged and lucky for being here for it as it airs and being able to see everything unfold as it happens each week for the first time with every other viewer out there. Being able to see everyone else's reactions and speculation etc. "Privileged" may sound a bit odd I guess but for such great tv as this it's a really nice thing to be part of I think, rather than being late to the party like I was with The Wire and wishing I had caught on to it sooner.
It's not a show every single person out there is going to enjoy but tv really doesn't get much better than it. Fantastic stuff, it really is :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:51 am

M.Steiner
Wow. We haven't even reached the half way point yet (that's next week) but this is one hell of a ride, so intense. <censored> me.
This show man.. this show. How is it even possible to keep getting better each week at this point?. As we stand right now this is going head to head with The Sopranos for my number 1 spot and I'll be honest, I can't quite believe I'm saying that.

Do yourselves a favour guys:
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series Deluxe Gift Set [Blu-Ray]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [Blu-ray]
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series [DVD]

Full series boxsets have gone up for pre-order scheduled for release Nov 25th. If you're one of the people who hasn't been experiencing this show do yourself a favour as I say and consider pre-ordering one of those. Take your pick. I've jumped straight for the deluxe blu-ray myself but I may swap it for the standard depending on its contents (which are yet to be revealed). Prices could fluctuate so I've decided to get in there early, will hopefully make a nice saving with their price guarantee. I did with my premium LOST set and it completely sold out as well.
You will thank me later. This is one of the best boxsets you are going to own, trust me on that ;)

Few more thoughts & predictions for the weeks ahead:
Walt Jr. is probably still in the house so I think him and Jesse will come face to face next week. We saw the house in the flashforwards too so it's not gonna be burned to the ground or anything, and Jesse won't kill the kid if he knows he's inside or they both meet. Pretty sure he's gonna make a deal with Hank and attempt to take Walt down. - I think Walt really does care for him (though that scene was so well done I'm still not 100% sure whether he was working him or not). He needs Jesse to believe what he says and go along with him because he knows what has to be done otherwise. He's a liability. I did think that maybe he'd be forced back into cooking for Lydia somehow and the machine gun would be used to go save him but I'm thinking more his family now but still intended for Todd & co, though saying that Walt does still have some morality left, he could still try and save Jesse. I do think Jesse will probably be dead by the end though, maybe the last ep which is going to be one emotional ep indeed if so :(
One of the thoughts I mentioned before was the possibility of the ricin being used on himself rather than anyone else too. Was that a bit of foreshadowing we saw tonight with Marie perhaps?. Or if the Guns really are for Todd and his Uncle etc, maybe the ricin is meant for Lydia?
3 down 5 to go.
Now to go and see if this weeks Dexter is going to improve again or infuriate me heh..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:45 pm

M.Steiner
If this wasn't the final season of Dexter and they hadn't already finished production on it the writers should be fired for this. Only 2 episodes left of the show and it feels like they've wasted so much time this season. In comparison to this final season of Breaking Bad which is progressing perfectly and the tension continues to build up with each and every episode, leaving you on the edge of your seat all the way. But this...
I started coming to the realisation a few weeks back that Dexter is not going to end the way I've always pictured it would and after this weeks episode with only 2 more to go I'm pretty certain of it now, sadly.
As said before I've always felt it would end with
Dexter's death. For a season or so I could see Deb killing him but that's not going to happen after recent developments between the two. The other being that Dexter killed himself but that's not going to happen either for several reasons, Harrison being the major reason who he wouldn't leave like that but now there's Hannah too. The other being one of the other killers he's gone after could finally outsmart him, which I suppose Saxon could do this season but I don't see it happening tbh.
As for a final scene, Lost comes into my picture of that a little bit as I loved how the show opened and closed in the way that it did. They already did it once with Rita but I always had it in my mind that Harrison would be found in a pool of blood (Dexter's) in the same way that Dexter himself was. Possibly leaving us with the suggestion that he may grow up to be just like his father. I've always felt that would be kinda fitting and come full circle in a way. I've always looked forward to the thought of people like Batista finding out the truth about him as well but I actually don't think they ever will now...
but with the way this season has been going and with so little time left I think
Dexter will really run off with Hannah to start their new life together (heh, like he couldn't go without the need for killing...) just as they're planning to do but not before he takes care of Saxon first. There's no way he's gonna get found out and arrested in 2 episodes unless they leave it until the very last minute, which would just be retarded, and I can't see him being killed at this point in time either as everything is pointing otherwise to me. The problem with this though is it all feels too safe and happily ever after to me which leads me to think they'll try and pull one last shocker to surprise us all. Dexter won't die, either Deb or Hannah will and probably at the hands of Saxon. I'm going with Deb. I hope I'm wrong but I can't picture many other possibilities now. It is such a shame that this final season had to be the worst of the entire show. I guess we'll find out in 2 weeks...
[Edit] Details on the complete Breaking Bad box set have been revealed. Hopefully this is not just for the US and turns out to be the edition I have already pre-ordered!. Click to enlarge:
http://www.thehdroom.com/news/Breaking- ... r-26/13057
So awesome.
[Edit2] yay. The Blu-ray deluxe set which I pre-ordered is the barrel over here in the UK :D

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:52 am

M.Steiner
Whoa. Probably talking to myself here but wow, wow, wow.

Breaking Bad 5x14. That was one of the most intense and finest hours of television I have ever seen in my life... omg, that shit was <censored> dark, man. Masterful.
Rian Johnson directed that episode too. Awesome job - to those of you who don't watch the show, you may have seen a movie of his called "Looper".

Kinda bummed that I'm the only person here posting about BB during this epic event but oh well. I really hope some of you decide to buy the complete boxset when it comes out at the end of Nov though. Passing that recommendation on excites me just as much knowing what's in store for you guys and seeing it for the first time. Just a shame ya'll late to the party heh. Don't miss out on this :)

Now for the penultimate episode of Dexter which will probably leave me raging just that little bit more...
Well, it looks like my prediction was
probably not far off going from that :/
Deb shot in the tonights episode which means they're setting her up to die in the finale, ofc she will. Sad to see for her character but all too <censored> predictable. Question now is whether Dexter will leave before he hears of this?, Probably not as they'll want to play on that. Or will that keep him behind and prevent him from starting this new life of his?. hmm possibly. Saxon appears to have gotten away (and was only shot in the arm) so there's gonna be a man hunt for him now. I think Dexter will still move away with Hannah making it kinda bittersweet but despite coming to the realisation that he didn't need to kill Saxon, I think if/when he hears of Deb that will set him back a bit. He'll want to be the one to put him down I think, making him his last kill.

Not the ending I would have wanted or expected personally, and I really do wonder how many of the cast were honestly fine with the way this last season has gone. This show used to be so good and despite some of the later seasons getting progressively weaker as the years have gone on I've always enjoyed it. This season has just been bad and unfulfilling, Dexter deserves better than this. It's not that the story with Vogel itself was all that bad or anything, had it appeared in another season I'd have been fine with it but it wasn't final season material. They should not have wasted so much time introducing new characters and arcs like that in the final episodes, it just made a massive chunk of it feel like filler and like the show wasn't coming to a conclusion. Hell, the first 20 minutes of this weeks Breaking Bad had more story progression in it than the entire of this season of Dexter. This final season should have been about nobody else but Dexter himself and keeping us on the edge of our seats as to when/how he would get found out by someone else up the ladder. So many other problems with it too though. Why the hell isn't Hannah trying to hide her identity when they all know people are looking for her and possibly know where she is too?. And are we expected to believe that Dexter would just leave Saxon to the authorities and to die in the chair rather than by him, he's gonna keep his mouth shut about Dexter is he? <censored> off, like hell he'd risk that. And Deb doing a complete 180 helping Dexter catch him in his apartment when Dexter originally planned to kill him, after all that has happened with her this past season and last? Yeah okay...
Oh well. 1 more episode to go next week, let's get it over with...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Haha, not talking to yourself ;) I'm reading (spoilers aside) if not commenting!

Hard to really comment when I'm not watching the series and haven't got time to start yet, but still interesting to read your views.

When I've finished Dexter, Hannibal, Game of Thrones and House, I'll be coming back to this and may make some comments then :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:17 pm

M.Steiner
Actually, since you're watching Dexter... I know you're still working your way through that with another few seasons to go before you reach this ending point that we're at, but from what you have watched of it so far how do you envision the show will end mate? Do you have a vague idea in mind for how you think it will end for Dexter?. What kind of ending would leave you satisfied?

I've been pretty vocal about my disappointment with this final season as you'll know heh. I won't reply back and say what my picture for the ending was exactly (you'll be able to read it further up in one of my spoiler tagged comments once you're all caught up though), and I won't let on if you had the same idea or not or if you're close to the mark of how it appears to be going so as not to spoil anything for ya. Will just be interesting to see how the both of us pictured it and how close/different those ideas turned out to be from the ending the writers ultimately went with :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Actually, since you're watching Dexter... I know you're still working your way through that with another few seasons to go before you reach this ending point that we're at, but from what you have watched of it so far how do you envision the show will end mate? Do you have a vague idea in mind for how you think it will end for Dexter?. What kind of ending would leave you satisfied?

I've been pretty vocal about my disappointment with this final season as you'll know heh. I won't reply back and say what my picture for the ending was exactly (you'll be able to read it further up in one of my spoiler tagged comments once you're all caught up though), and I won't let on if you had the same idea or not or if you're close to the mark of how it appears to be going so as not to spoil anything for ya. Will just be interesting to see how the both of us pictured it and how close/different those ideas turned out to be from the ending the writers ultimately went with :)
I've always felt that one of two things will happen:
Bear in mind on the below too that whilst I'm not finished with Season 6 yet, I already know Deb finds out he's a serial killer, so factor that in.

1) Someone high profile like Batista will find out, like Doakes did, and he'll try to do the same thing with them he did Doakes. Deb won't be able to play along, and he'll ultimately be forced to kill them both. The show will end with a "it just continues" theme, where he's wracked with guilt over Deb but ultimately must keep moving forward to honour his family, and to protect Harrison.

2) Deb will kill him, after she truly realises the extent to which he'll go to protect himself. More than likely I envisage him deciding that characters like Batista/Quinn/Masouka need silencing to keep the secret, and despite Deb's pleas him moving to act on it. Deb would likely then realise how it needs to be and kill him to end the cycle.

I fully envisage that whatever happens, Season 8 will pretty much be another investigation into him - just as Season 2 was in a roundabout way - and people will find out likely in the last couple of episodes. It's just a matter of how that climaxes. Should stress that I envisage no situation where he ends up jailed though - it's freedom or death for me.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:54 pm

M.Steiner
So Dexter has finished.
And what a load of rubbish that final season was.
Got some of my predictions right like with them setting Deb up to die in the finale and Dexter going back after Saxon but they did not go down as I was expecting and they did throw a spanner in the works a few times, which at least came as a surprise.
A few of the scenes in that episode were absolutely ridiculous though and almost laughable. Hannah, again, walking around in full public view and not even trying to disguise her identity. Dexter carefully removing Debra's tubing in the hospital as if he was 100% certain nobody would walk in whilst he was doing it, then wheeling her out of the hospital and carrying her dead body down the ramp onto his boat and wasn't even wearing a white coat or anything whilst doing it. What the <censored> was that?
Then there's Batista & Quinn watching the recording of Dexter stabbing Saxon with the pen which was quite clearly not self defense and you could see how calmly he pressed the panic button afterwards. There's no way they would have been able to get away with concluding that it was self defense without some sort of investigation. I feel Quinn may have tried to cover that up for Dexter somehow due to his feelings for Deb but Batista would have gone by the book on that. They missed a trick there too I think. They could have used that scene for the pair of them to start really questioning themselves about him and what he had previously been accused of. The fact that none of them found out about Dexter in this finale is a <censored> cop out too.

I did think for a minute that he was going to off himself out there on the water in the same place he'd just dumped Debra and in a way that would have redeemed itself a bit for me but to end like it did and have him come to that conclusion so suddenly after all that planning with Hannah was silly, I don't think that's what he'd planned all season either.. Just disappointed. At the end of season 7 they should have had Deb shoot Dexter instead of LaGuerta and then ended on Batista & co finding out too. That would have made a better ending imo. Either that or they should have focused this 8th season on Dexter alone (no new characters getting lots of screen time) and his downfall, have him be investigated and found out and then end either with his death or him on the run.
Anyway, one finale down and one more to go. Breaking Bad's turn next Sun. If you guys aren't going to be picking that up for a while yet just be extra careful where you're looking & listening from next week. You won't have to look far as everyone is talking about this show right now so you can pretty much gurantee there will be ending spoilers left right and center once it has aired. So yeah, be warned and don't spoil it for yourself. Or better yet if you live in the US use this week to watch the AMC marathon they are airing specially for new folk to catch up in time. If the finale is anywhere near as good as the last 7 have been (especially Ozymandias which I posted about last week, one of the best pieces of tv I have ever seen), this will be one amazing finale and something people will be discussing for a while.
Roll on next week!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 1:23 pm

M.Steiner
and that is how you end a show, not the steaming pile of shit we were served up with Dexter last week and all season which I am still trying to wipe from my memory. There was nothing else I could have asked for from this finale tbh. Tied up all the loose ends through a mixture of emotions, gave proper closure rather than ambiguity and was ultimately very satisfying, albeit heart-wrenching. As close to perfection as it could have been for me. A beautiful end to what has been and what will be remembered as one of the greatest shows of all time.

Just noticed that the deluxe blu-ray boxset has now sold out on Amazon UK too. This is very nice to see, so glad I jumped on that as soon as it went up. I will be starting a rewatch when the set releases (haven't seen the early seasons since I originally started watching the show years ago) and I look forward to watching the 55+hrs of bonus content that comes with it too but for now, goodbye Breaking Bad. Very sad to think it is all over :(

Vince Gilligan, you magnificent bastard. Thank you. Thanks also go to Aaron Paul, Dean Norris, Anna Gunn and ofc the rest of the talented cast and crew involved as well. Without all of these combined the show would not have been what it was. I think it will be a long, long time before we see another show of this calibre to be quite honest but who knows?, Matthew Weiner went on to create Mad Men after his writing parts on The Sopranos and likewise with Terence Winter with Boardwalk Empire. I look forward to seeing what projects the people behind Breaking Bad get involved with next too.
Bryan Cranston, what else can I say but "wow"?. The guy is a <censored> master.

[Edit]
IMDB ratings:
Remember the Monsters? (Dexter finale): "5.6/10 from 5,504 users"
Felina (Breaking Bad finale): "9.9/10 from 15,752 users"
lol. True. (no actual spoiler above btw, just saving space)

and since I didn't post them at the time:
M.Steiner wrote:Breaking Bad 5x14. That was one of the most intense and finest hours of television I have ever seen in my life... omg, that shit was <censored> dark, man. Masterful.
The imdb ratings for that episode (Ozymandias) are: "10/10 from 33,355 users".
I don't think I've ever seen anything quite like it. Pretty insane tbh but totally deserved.

Return to “General Discussions”