TV Chat & Recommendations

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Re: Your top tv drama shows (+ general tv chat/recommendatio

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:18 am

Isileth
Who didnt drop Caprica? Why on earth they thought a teen melodrama was going to appeal to the same fan base is beyond me.

I will have to get round to watching B&C at some point thought, never watched Skins so dont know the actor. However ive been watching a few online shows recently and generally ive quite enjoyed them, not just "for an online thing" or for the budget but in straight up comparison to some shows on tv. Especially going into more niche areas that would never get a chance on the tv.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 2:16 pm

M.Steiner
Isileth wrote:Who didnt drop Caprica? Why on earth they thought a teen melodrama was going to appeal to the same fan base is beyond me.
True, true :lol:
Especially going into more niche areas that would never get a chance on the tv.
It depends really, to a degree at least. HBO is probably a good example due to some of their shows like The Wire. You would never find a show like that on AMC, Fox, ABC or any other tv network. Not in its current form without rewriting parts of it or editing huge chunks out. HBO can generally cover the topics they want though and go as far as they want with them whilst not having to limit language etc or anything like that either. Raw, powerful, extremely realistic.. Like watching a documentary or something before being heavily edited down.
I'm pretty sure you've already seen The Wire though (and I know Ava, BD & Cyph have too) so can't point you in that direction unfortunately but there's "The Corner" too. Maybe one day Anny will get around to seeing it as well, first time I recommended that to him was back in 2009 actually. I know it was 2009 cos in return he recommended me BSG which I started watching straight after, then soon went & bought the Blu-ray set after getting hooked on just a few episodes heh. He will thank me one day and wish he'd gotten to it sooner. Mebbe 2013 is the year? :p

Speaking of The Wire, I'm currently watching Generation Kill atm which I'll be including in my list above when I've finished it. Also from the Wire creators and pretty darn good if you've not seen that! :thumb:
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:26 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:Maybe one day Anny will get around to seeing it as well, first time I recommended that to him was back in 2009 actually. I know it was 2009 cos in return he recommended me BSG which I started watching straight after, then soon went & bought the Blu-ray set after getting hooked on just a few episodes heh. He will thank me one day and wish he'd gotten to it sooner. Mebbe 2013 is the year? :p
I'll get to it! :p

Whether or not in 2013 depends on how quickly I finish House though :lol:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:56 pm

M.Steiner
lol
Chances are you'll find yourself taking a break or two from House at some point anyway I would guess. I can't see you continuously watching 8 seasons of it without feeling the need to do so.
Following it on tv once a year for a season was alright but House's episode format is very repetitive when you get down to it. When I first discovered the show and was catching up to where it was at on tv I ended up doing the same which I don't normally do with my marathoning, breaking it up every few seasons and then going back to it helped a lot.
Not that I'm specifically recommending you do the same, more like I expect you'll decide to do that without anyone telling you to simply due to the format of the show. You'll burn yourself out on it before long otherwise and it'll just become boring, predictable and its repetitiveness will really start to show :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:57 am

Isileth
Yeah the Wire was fantastic, ive got some similar shows and shows from the creators on my list to watch. Generation kill is on there as well as Treme and The Corner.

I did the same with House, think I started watching around season 3 or 4, I dont think its that bad to watch them close together, although I certainly wouldn't recommend trying to do it back to back. While they could be quite similar I also think there was a very big shift in the style after a few seasons, it started with a much heavier focus on the patients and the illness and then changed to them being a minor background event with everything focused on the main chars.

I think doing so certainly gave the show more life but I also feel they ended it at about the right time.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:31 pm

M.Steiner
Just a little heads up for you guys who can receive Sky Atlantic and haven't seen this show before - Anny & Lee, maybe 1 or 2 others?.
Assuming that they do the same with this as they have done with The Sopranos, that meaning they start a rerun from season 1 the week after they have finished airing the entire series. Atlantic are currently running The Wire and they're starting on season 5 (final) at the end of this week according to the guide. It looks to air on Friday nights and season 5 has just 10 episodes sooo if we use that info (assuming they repeat it as I said and assuming the reruns are friday's too, bar repeats), it's safe to assume that they will be begin a rerun of The Wire from 1x01 on March 1st. If you've never seen it before go and mark your calendars now just incase, if they do rerun it there won't be another until April 2014 at the earliest if you count 1 episode per week for the 5 seasons lol. Unmissable tv and this is not a show you should jump into several episodes or seasons in.

My Dad was just asking me recently if there were any shows to watch out for airing since Homeland etc are finishing up again for the year. I decided to work out when The Wire would likely be repeated if it was so I could give him that to watch next. Since it is a show I've been recommending here for several years too I thought I'd post this little warning for you guys as well. I won't be able to check the listings to double check until nearer the time so thought it better to mention it now a few months in advance rather than wait until the week before to see if it appears in the Sky EPG or not.
As said in my previous post, the last time I saw The Wire was 2009 when I originally recommended it to Anny so I think I may do a rewatch of this myself if Atlantic repeat it and some of you guys are going to be following it too. If not I'll just stick my DVDs in instead but it could be fun for a few of us to watch it alongside each other?
I'll keep my eye on the sky player nearer the time anyway just to be sure and will post to confirm in a couple of months. This really is tv at its best, you'll see :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:51 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Thanks for the heads up :) Should hopefully give me the breathing room I need to finish House before it starts!

Now just to remember come March :lol:
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:00 pm

Kon
Just got done with the first half of Blood & Chrome. So far I'd say it's better than Razor, but not as good as the Miniseries (obviously). The acting can be a bit hammy at times, but the production value is all there. Shame they couldn't get the series off the ground.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:03 pm

Isileth
Cant recommend the Wire enough, I would record the lot and keep it on my box but we dont get Atlantic......

Oh whats that? Anny still hasnt implemented image resizing

Get back to work!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:23 pm

M.Steiner
Clay Davis ftw :D

Are any of you going to be trying any of the new upcoming shows btw? Got any to point out that may be worth a look?
Homeland & Dexter have finished for me this week and some of my anime will too by the end of next week, Fringe finish for good next month too etc. Therefor I'm going to be trying a few new dramas methinks, besides whatever stuff I may get to watch from Christmas gifts.
I haven't looked too far into all new shows tbh so I'm not sure how many others there are which may be worth trying out but these are 3 I know of which I'm likely going to try myself. Maybe some of you will be interested too:
Ripper Street
A BBC1 mini-series starring Matthew Macfadyen from Spooks.
December 30th on BBC1 / January 19th on BBC America

"A new drama set in the East End of London in 1889 during the aftermath of Jack The Ripper murders. The infamous H Division - the police precinct charged with keeping order in the district of Whitechapel- is in a chaotic state trying to keep order after a tumultuous time for London and reported infamously worldwide."
The Following
A new serial-killer drama starring Kevin Bacon.
January 21st on Fox / 22nd on Sky Atlantic, just 1 day after the U.S premiere

"THE FBI estimates there are currently up to 300 active serial killers in the United States. What would happen if these killers had a way of communicating and connecting with each other? What if they were able to work together and form alliances as they left a trail of blood across the country? What if one brilliant and charismatic, yet psychotic serial killer was able to bring them all together and activate a cult of believers following his every command?
Welcome to THE FOLLOWING, the psychological thriller from creator/executive producer Kevin Williamson
"
The Americans
A Cold War era spy drama.
January 30th on FX / Not sure on a UK broadcast yet

"The Americans is a period drama about the complex marriage of two KGB spies posing as Americans in suburban Washington DC shortly after Ronald Reagan is elected President. The arranged marriage of Phillip (Matthew Rhys) and Elizabeth Jennings (Keri Russell), who have two children who know nothing about their parents true identity, grows more passionate and genuine by the day, but is constantly tested by the escalation of the Cold War and the intimate, dangerous and darkly funny relationships they must maintain with a network of spies and informants under their control. Complicating their relationship further is Phillip's growing sense of affinity for America's values and way of life. Tensions also heighten upon the arrival of a new neighbor, Stan (Noah Emmerich), an FBI agent working in counter intelligence."
Derek
New comedy drama written & directed by Ricky Gervais. Also starring Karl Pilkington.
Approx late January on Channel 4

A pilot episode of Derek aired earlier this year which at the time was supposed to be a one off. It was no Office but a full series of this was commissioned and Ricky has just wrapped up the filming of it just last week. Ricky claims it to be his favourite thing he's ever done.
The new full series of this is due to air in January sometime.

There's a huge amount of hype surrounding The Following so that'll be a most definite for me I think, Derek too simply for Ricky & Karl. That being said the other 2 sound pretty damn good too really so I plan to check those out as well.
Any other shows worth looking into? any of you going to be watching any of these too? :)

Also Isi:
Isileth wrote:Yeah the Wire was fantastic, ive got some similar shows and shows from the creators on my list to watch. Generation kill is on there as well as Treme and The Corner.
Keep an eye on FX. I got the blu-ray of Generation Kill for my Birthday earlier this year but FX are airing it in the UK atm, ep 3 of 7 airs Thu at 1am. Maybe they'll run some repeats :thumb:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Remind me about The Following closer to the time, if you would. That sounds like something I would be VERY interested in!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:07 pm

M.Steiner
Anubis wrote:Remind me about The Following closer to the time, if you would. That sounds like something I would be VERY interested in!
As requested my good friend!
The following will begin airing on Sky Atlantic next Tuesday (22nd) at 10pm. It is now on the Sky EPG so you should be able to setup a series link for it, I've just done that myself. Really looking forward to it! :thumb:

The final 2 episodes of Fringe to air at the end of this week too. Will be sad to see it go but it has been a fantastic run and I'm so glad it wasn't one of the shows to see the axe. Sky are airing it live alongside the US broadcast too like the did with the Lost finale. Gonna be good ^^

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Aha, thanks for the reminder mate :)

Will set up a recording for it tomorrow. I must admit, the concept for it has really drawn my eye!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:53 pm

M.Steiner
nps!
Saying that btw.. You should still look into seeing Dexter at some point in the future mate, perhaps after House, The Wire & The Sopranos or whatever?. Unless you're able to fit it in among those and whatever else you decide to pickup.
You've probably forgotten now as it was several years ago when I had only been watching anime for a year or so but this is the show I've usually called the "real life/tv version of Death Note". Was one I mentioned to ya back when you originally started giving me anime recommendations and gave me Death Note to try after Geass etc, though you did not really watch tv back then ofc. They are very similar shows as I said at the time so I still think it would be right up your alley tbh. Dexter is based on a novel but I wouldn't be at all surprised if DN had inspired one or the other, though it has never been said afaik.

Whilst it is not in my top 5 "must see" drama recommendations and something I would regard as highly as The Wire or The Sopranos for example, for you personally it would be one of the main shows from my list that I'd fully expect you to enjoy :)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:59 pm

M.Steiner
Watched ep 2 of The Following last night and the pilot episode of The Americans.

From my initial impressions I would say that The Following is either going to be a grower like Fringe was, in which case it could still turn out to be well worth our time and should be given a chance, or it's going to be a massive flop. It's still too early to judge from 2/15 episodes but that's my initial reaction. The first half of episode 1 left me largely disappointed if I'm honest but the second half was much better, episode 2 this week was a mark improvement too thankfully and was actually really good in comparison. It has just seemed like there was something missing at times and some of the acting came across a bit weak as well which didn't help. It's hard to put my finger on exactly...
I have a feeling this may turn out to be the latter (a flop) but if I had judged Fringe on its opening episodes or even the majority of season 1 I would have missed out on some amazing tv when it really started to deliver so I'm going to keep watching this for the time being and give it a chance. There's still plenty of time for it to come into its own and start to shine and I do hope it does. Just hasn't started off as strongly as I thought it would especially considering this was one of the most anticipated upcoming shows. Time will tell :)

The Americans on the other hand was something different. The first episode of that was incredibly engrossing and had me gripped throughout. Really brilliant pilot imo and I've seen a lot of them over the years. Will they be able to keep that up throughout? Again, still too early to tell ofc but I have a feeling this is going to turn out to be pretty damn great. Judging from the first episodes of both of these shows The Americans is hands down the one to beat and the one I think will be most worth watching. This could change but that's my early prediction :)

Either way I'm looking forward to the next episode of both!

(Going to be watching House of Cards with Kevin Spacey too but won't be starting that just yet. The entire season should be releasing today so I'll be doing a marathon of the entire series rather than weekly eps. Will comment once I've seen - Ta for the heads up on that one, BD!)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:39 am

Kon
This week I also started the American version of House of Cards. Seems pretty well-done so far, but it's not on the same level as the early seasons of The West Wing. I will say that it's surprisingly better than the British version - perhaps a first for trans-Atlantic TV shows. As much as I loved Yes Minister, watching a serious drama version of Sir Humphrey was just a horrible experience.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:15 am

Ozone
Watched 'Battlestar: Blood and Chrome' last night, the 2 hour pilot based on the career of a young Bill Adama. It's been on the web in small clips for the past few months, but premiered all together with extra content on SyFy last night. Started with Adama 2 weeks out of flight school with his first posting as a raptor (yep, raptor) pilot on the Galactica. Was fantastic, so much so that I passed up the premier of the new season's 'Walking Dead' (Battlestar was 8-10 and WD was 9-10 - I'll catch up on WD later this week). Anyways, this had the quality writing and CGI of BSG. Truly enjoyed it and for the first time in ages was excited to get back into a series, fragging BATTLESTAR no less!

Then I read of the genius of the SyFy channel executives. They passed on it last year after seeing this pilot. Seriously. They saw this pilot episode and somehow decided against it. So, no future Battlestar, but in compensation there's sure to be be plenty of 'Megadinopig' and 'Sharkapillersloth' films on through the spring season. &*^&$% idiots.

If you're a BSG fan, seek this out and watch it.

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo1_E5_oZ5E

Webisode 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT79x4qM4FE
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:13 am

Rock-n-Roll
Been watching Once Upon a Time, which I am really enjoying. From the writers of Lost, turns some old fairy tales on their head.

Also been watching Bones for ages. The investigation part of it is formulaic, but the characters make it worthwhile.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:21 pm

M.Steiner
Started watching House of Cards early yesterday. Already up to episode 9 (of 13), have been enjoying it that much hehe.
I haven't seen the British version of it and which it is adapted from, and normally I am put off by American remakes when I have but Kevin Spacey has been utterly brilliant in this. I can't imagine watching it without him, infact I wouldn't want to.
I'll admit, when realising it was to be shown exclusively on Netflix I kinda set myself up for disappointment despite already seeing the trailer for it and knowing Kevin Spacey, of whom I'm a fan, was playing the lead role. I do like some of Fincher's work too. Silly of me I guess but when I think top tier drama I think HBO first and foremost. No other network comes close to matching their level of excellence other than AMC with Breaking Bad & Mad Men, and then it'd probably be Showtime after that. Netflix streaming doesn't usually enter my mind as it's something I have no experience with heh.
I was worrying about nothing though thankfully as House of Cards has been most excellent. I'll no doubt have finished it either today or tomorrow at the rate I've been watching.
Anyone know if they're doing a second series of it? Bloody better be!

4 weeks into The Following now. Still improving as the weeks go on which is a good sign but it still feels somewhat lacking at the same time. Will keep watching but after only 2 episodes The Americans is still showing to be the better of the two imo, by far. 3rd episode of that airs tonight.
Rock-n-Roll wrote:Been watching Once Upon a Time, which I am really enjoying. From the writers of Lost, turns some old fairy tales on their head.
I've known of this for quite some time but have yet to watch any of it. Will most likely give it a try at some point though due to the 2 guys behind it, they did some great writing on Lost even if they're not Damon & Carlton :)
Matthew Weiner went on to create Mad Men after his writing and producing parts on The Sopranos, and likewise with Terence Winter who went on to make Boardwalk Empire. So for this reason alone I'd like to give their show a go and see what I think. Will be sure to post an update when I get to it :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:49 am

Kon
Game of Thrones starts back up at the end of the month.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:03 pm

M.Steiner
Yep, yep!. Game of Thrones returns at the end of March with Mad Men returning the following week at the beginning of April.
Already started seeing quick teaser falling animations for Mad Men on Sky. Can't wait :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:43 pm

M.Steiner
M.Steiner wrote:....
#20 Veronica Mars (Started to run out of steam towards the end but I hope we get a movie one day. Worth the watch just for Kristen Bell)
Holy Crap
Go back it! :thumb:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:38 am

M.Steiner
Still watching The Americans & The Following each week atm, both of which have been renewed already which is always good to hear. I still prefer The Americans by a long way if I'm honest, Matthew Rhys & Keri Russell work really together. That being said The Following has been growing on me more and more each week and I quite look forward to its Tuesday airing now. Glad I stuck with it.

Started a couple of other new shows recently too which I mentioned on IRC and said I'd post.

The first one is called Banshee. I discovered this one by chance really when I was looking through Alan Ball's (Six Feet Under, American Beauty) filmography to check some of his other works out and noticed that he was listed as an executive producer on this new show called Banshee. Had never heard of it up until then.
Anyhow, I really couldn't get into True Blood personally but Six Feet Under remains one of my all time favourite shows so I figured I'd give this Banshee a try. I'd class it as a crime drama but with a bit of mystery to it as well as the backstory drips in bit by bit, revealing more about the main character and his past. I'm still only a few eps into this (and the other show I started) but I'm really enjoying it atm and it keeps you on the edge of your seat. Worth looking into if you're after something new.
"Lucas Hood (Antony Starr), an ex-con and master thief assumes the identity of a murdered sheriff where he continues his criminal activities. His past seems to haunt him by those he betrayed years earlier. This ex-con imposes his own brand of justice where violence erupts at every turn in the not so quiet Amish town, Banshee, Pennsylvania."
The second one is a new British drama for ITV from Kudos (Spooks, Life on Mars, Ashes to Ashes, Hunted), called Broadchurch. Stars David Tennant (the tenth Doctor if you didn't already know) and Olivia Colman (Sophie from the fantastic Peep Show). Only started a few weeks ago but there are 4 eps left to air (of 8). Story wise it's like a mix between a British version of The Killing and a (what seems to be) a more relatively normal looking Twin Peaks heh.
Little boy goes missing in a small coastal town and turns up dead on a beach. A surprisingly good murder mystery so far. Quite gripping :)
Hopefully I'll continue to enjoy both!. Banshee has just finished its first season run but I didn't start it until it had already begun airing so I'm a way to go yet.
(I've also got "Vegas" recording each week on Sky Atlantic but I've yet to get around to starting this. Will probably do that once I've finished these two).

[Edit: Speaking of Kudos & Spooks. For you, Anny ;D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:16 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
M.Steiner wrote:[Edit: Speaking of Kudos & Spooks. For you, Anny ;D
Oooo, interesting! :)

I'll have to keep my eyes open for news about that. It will be interesting to see what they do (and knowing Spooks, it should be really high quality too), but at the same time I'm somewhat cautious about seeing this come true. Spooks' great strength was always realistic spy stories played out across a period of time - twists that surprised you as circumstances evolved organically and naturally. I do hope that the jump from the TV to movie format won't necessitate the changing of that approach - a "crash TV" Bond type approach to spy stories would not be Spooks at all, for example. Hopefully they know what they're doing though!

Would still prefer another series mind! :p Still a horrible crime that it got axed! I loved Hunted, but Spooks was way better.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:34 am

M.Steiner
There's just 46 hours left on the Veronica Mars kickstarter if there's anyone else here who wants to show their support!
It has gone amazingly well for them I'm happy to say, not that I expected anything less, infact it exceeded them heh. Tis currently sitting at $5million with 78,000 backers :D
That being said the more they manage to raise the more freedom they will have when they come to making it; more days for shooting, more filming locations, more of the old characters probably. Who knows, with the amount of attention this has been getting and the amount it has already raised this could very well turn out to be the Double Fine effect of film & tv on Kickstarter. Are there any other tv shows like this which you'd like to see return somehow? Axed before their time? Or just ended too soon or whatever?. This has already broken several records but the success of the Veronica Mars kickstarter could quite possibly open some doors for others just like the Double Fine Adventure did for games on Kickstarter. I certainly wouldn't be surprised if it did.
So if you haven't already backed it why not throw a quick $1 in too and show your support, even if you never saw the show?. Every little helps, tis towards a good cause and who hows what else could come of this? ;)

Return to “General Discussions”