Beer

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Beer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:46 pm

SSX-Andy
Have started to appreciate beer more and more lately.

Bought 21 bottles at the Systembolaget's special release today, SEK 1200 for the lot (thats 110 Sterlings for those who prefer that, or 180 funny green money). Even started rating the stuff at RateBeer.

Anyone else crazy enough to pay for good beer, or is everyone stuck in the mediocrity of mass-produced beverages?

Re: Beer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:37 pm

Whizbang
I too appreciate good beer and have no problem spending money to get quality stuff. And I'm fortunate enough to live in a location where I can find local breweries and imported beers and enjoy different tastes from around the world. I've spent upwards of $15-20 for a bottle of beer and some of my favorite beer, Chimay, runs about $12-15 for a bottle. What I've been drinking lately has been Estrella Damm's Inedit, which runs about $10 a bottle. Very lovely stuff with a great taste and clean finish.

Nice to see other beer connoisseurs out there that drink to enjoy the taste, not drink to get drunk. :thumb:
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:11 pm

SSX-Andy
http://www.ratebeer.com/View-User-123903.htm is my RateBeer profile. Mainly using it to keep track on what I've tried.

Have a great pub just down the street from where I live. Have a large assortment of beers. They even have their own brewery, although at another of their pubs just a few blocks away.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:01 am

Ash
Lucky to have a couple of microbreweries in Manchester and actually will be partaking of a couple of pints tomorrow night.
Also some very good independent breweries.

European Bottlewise we have a couple of bars that stock a nice selection (Fringe Bar and CASK specifically).

My proximity to Europe can come in handy for partaking of the local brew and have actually visited the Chimay brewery in Belgium.

:thumb:
Ash
The quiet one in the corner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:33 am

Ozone
Lol, dont even get me started. Been a brewer for 20 years and have been drinking quality stuff all that time. Of late I've been appreciating 'Flying Dog' brewery, especially 'Kujo', an imperial coffee stout. I'd highly advise you look into 'Dogfish Head' brews, they're expensive but they're an insanely creative brewery, mixing some crazy stuff, but all of it is top notch. Their 90minute IPA may be one of the best IPAs you may have if you can handle the hop hit. Also, anything from 'Sierria Nevada' is pretty much a good benchmark to judge other breweries' styles by, they're consistent quality.
Welcome aboard. ;)
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:11 am

Stracius
Ozone wrote:'Flying Dog' brewery, 'Dogfish Head' brews... Their 90minute IPA may be one of the best IPAs you may have if you can handle the hop hit. anything from 'Sierria Nevada' consistent quality.
Yes yes and yes. Check out Flying Dog's Raging Bitch if you haven't yet. I can't decide which I like more between it and Dogfish's 90 minute IPA. It's that good. Dogfish Head also make an interesting beer with a hell of a story behind it called Midas Touch. Not for everyone's taste, but I enjoy it.

I haven't seen Kujo yet, I'll keep my eyes open for that one. I just wish Yeungling's Black and Tan was available here.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:35 am

Kon
This and the instrument thread should be in the Lifestyles forum. People should use it more. On topic, I don't drink beer. That is all.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:38 pm

Whizbang
Ozone wrote:Lol, dont even get me started. Been a brewer for 20 years and have been drinking quality stuff all that time. Of late I've been appreciating 'Flying Dog' brewery, especially 'Kujo', an imperial coffee stout. I'd highly advise you look into 'Dogfish Head' brews, they're expensive but they're an insanely creative brewery, mixing some crazy stuff, but all of it is top notch. Their 90minute IPA may be one of the best IPAs you may have if you can handle the hop hit. Also, anything from 'Sierria Nevada' is pretty much a good benchmark to judge other breweries' styles by, they're consistent quality.
Welcome aboard. ;)
While I have tried both the 60 and the 90 minute IPA I have to say I prefer the 60. Not as hop-y and a smoother finish to the tail of the brew. Both are quality ales though, and the brewery do have creative brewmasters providing unique products. I have tried the Midas Touch as well and was not a fan of it. It felt too much like a fortified wine being sexed with an ale and the end product was not suited to my palette.

Additionally, Stone Brewery is about 30 minutes from where I live and the missus and I take a trip up there a few times a year so we can eat and I can enjoy some of their fine libations. The Arrogant Bastard is a very delightful brew and their oaked Ruination ale is a pungent and destructive beer that will pick you up and put your ass in the dirt if you're not careful. ;)

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:22 pm

Stracius
Kahn wrote:This and the instrument thread should be in the Lifestyles forum. People should use it more. On topic, I don't drink beer. That is all.
Or we could get rid of the ill-used lifestyles forum and just merge it into general, keeping everything on topic. You buzzkill you.

And damn your proximity to Stone Brewery, Mech. At least I can claim being close to Sam Adam's Brewery. Not that I've been yet, but hey. I could end up going there some day. They do have a decent Imperial line, and I liked their last winter seasonal.

Anyone had a chance to try any of Thomas Hooker's beers?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:23 am

Whizbang
Stracius wrote: And damn your proximity to Stone Brewery, Mech. At least I can claim being close to Sam Adam's Brewery. Not that I've been yet, but hey. I could end up going there some day. They do have a decent Imperial line, and I liked their last winter seasonal.

Anyone had a chance to try any of Thomas Hooker's beers?
I'm a fan of a few of the Sam Adam's beers. I particular like the Alpine Spring and the Holiday Porter. Just picked up a half rack of the Coastal Wheat today.

As for Thomas Hooker brewery, I've heard of it but never seen anything down here where I am.

<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Ozone
Mechanus wrote:I'm a fan of a few of the Sam Adam's beers.
Have to say that I am too over the past couple of years, though still not big on their original lager. Picked up a couple of bottles yesterday, a Delerium Tremens, which, in my humble opinion and experience, is one of the smoothest, tastiest, and all round perfect Belgians (if not beers) there is, and a Sammy Adams I've not seen before. Its calld Griffon's Bow and claims to be an 'Oaked Blonde Barleywine Ale' with an abv of 11.5%. Thats a lot of booze and complexity to pack in an $8 bottle, but will find out if they succeeded later tonight.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 2:38 pm

Ozone
To finish the previous... the Griffon's Bow was sorta meh, they attempted way too much and smothered any individual character the brew may once have had.

Point of this post is three new worthwhile mentions...

Brewery called 'Water Horse' has released an American 'Belgian Tripple'. Very nice balance leaning slightly towards a mild malt sweetness followed by mellow hop kick and all round good belgian character (10% abv). 6 pack runs about $11, well worth the investment. I've been alternating between this and Flying Dog's Raging Bitch as my heavy brew for the past couple of weeks.

And for the hopheads, Sierra Nevada just released 'Hoptimum', a triple hopped IPA. This stuff is heaven in a bottle and, imho, puts Dogfishhead 90 Minute to shame and gives Stone IPA a damn good run for its money. Its dry hopped, wet hopped and torpedoed, is 9% abv, runs $10 for a 4 pack, and shouldn't be passed by. If you like the hops I can't recommend it enough.

Check out 'Viking Blod' if you get the chance. Its a Nordic mead brewed to a 3,000 year recipe or such containing hops and hibiscus. 19% and runs about $25 for a 750ml bottle. This stuff isn't new, but I recently stumbled across it, thankfully.

And one poor review...

Gave a couple of brews from 'Founder's' try. Started with their IPA and wasn't impressed in the least, never finished the 6. Wanting to give them one more shot I tried their red ale, and again, never finished the 6. I'm unsure how established these guys are but their brews have a sharp edge with no real character. PErsonally, I'm avoiding them from now on.

So, anyone tried any notable mentions for the summer season? I'm getting revved up to move into the Weissens soon.

Stracius wrote:Dogfish Head also make an interesting beer with a hell of a story behind it called Midas Touch. Not for everyone's taste, but I enjoy it.
Went out and picked up a 4 pack after reading your post. Put me back $14. Worth every cent. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:06 am

Stracius
Glad to see you enjoyed those!

I haven't come across anything of mention recently, but I will be looking for the ones you suggested. You, sir, seem to have good taste; can't go wrong with that.

Also, I forgot I came across this last year. I haven't yet begun to work my way through it, but figured it might give inspiration for future exploration.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:45 am

Ozone
This summer I have mostly been an addict of Stone IPA.
That is all.

Return to “General Discussions”