Portal 2

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Portal 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:06 am

M.Steiner
So who'll be playing this? ;D

Only played a few levels so far but Smerch's (Stephen Merchant) role as Wheatley is genius. I knew he'd be brilliant <3
Some very impressive reviews coming in already which is hardly surprising. The majority are 9 and above with a few 10/10. AC:B has been my GOTY so far but perhaps this will top it, will have to see. At least until The Witcher 2 arrives in 4 weeks which I'm certain will be epic.

Screenshots on my Steam profile here but be aware that there are spoilers ahead :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

Re: Portal 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Slacker
This is definitely a game I will be picking up... when it's a bit cheaper. Not sure what I will get it for... the PS3 or 360. Loved the first one. It was the first game I completed on the 360.
<SSX-Anubis> Did you see the E3 trailer for Hot Pursuit btw?
<SSX-Anubis> That even has me a little tempted

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:35 pm

M.Steiner
Slacker wrote:Not sure what I will get it for... the PS3 or 360.
PS3 version definitely. :)
With the PS3 version you'll get cross-platform Steam functionality (so you'll be able to chat and play multiplayer with PC and Mac players as well as PS3). Not only that but you'll get a free Steam copy of the game simply by linking your PSN and Steam accounts, could create one of the latter if you don't already have one. The 360 version doesn't offer any of this.
You might not be PC gaming now but you never know in the future. It's free anyway so who's gonna say no to that? hehe.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm

SSX-Ava
Completed it! Was lots and lots and lots of fun, though a few headaches at times trying to work out the puzzles.
Fantastic ending too

Stephen Merchant FTW

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:11 pm

M.Steiner
Absolutely fantastic.

The original Portal was bloody darn good, amazing even, but Portal 2 really expands upon that in several ways.

With the addition of the new elements (which I'll mention in a sec) Portal 2 is a refreshing experience that's even better than the first and not just more of the same. With these extra tools you've got lots of new ways to solve the puzzles and some of the maps are unlike anything in the first game too, though there are the familiar looking test chambers too of course.

Some of these include the different Aperture Science gels. There's Repulsion Gel [Blue] which is used for bouncing, Propulsion Gel [Orange] which you can run on and gain speed and then you've got the Conversion Gel [White] which will create a portal surface where ever it splatters. These alone add a whole new dynamic to the challenges.
But along with these you've also got Light bridges. You can redirect these through portals and use them to walk on and can also be used to block incoming fire from sentry turrets. Excursion Funnel's (a tunnel of beams which you can travel along) aaaand Pivot cubes (used for redirecting beams).

Portal 2 is much longer than its predecessor which is another plus. I'd say around 8hrs for single player but I managed to get 11 out of it. Tried not to rush through it and some of the later puzzles took me a little while to figure out hehe. Don't forget that you've got the co-op mode on top of this which reportedly adds around 6-7hrs I believe. Adding completely new puzzles designed specifically for 2 players and 2 sets of portals, not single player with a friend. This is apparently one of the big highlights of the game but I've yet to try it myself. Will be playing this with Ava at some point in the near future.

I won't go into story or characters as I don't want to spoil anything but I will say that Stephen Merchant does an incredible job as the voiceover of Wheatley. Been a fan of his for many years but the game wouldn't be the same without him quite honestly, really shines. Thankfully Karl didn't take the message for this job :D

Extremely fun, clever, challenging, funny and well polished. If you liked the first game you should definitely love the sequel.
10/10. Brilliant, go buy it already ;D

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 pm

Slacker
SSX-MS wrote:
Slacker wrote:Not sure what I will get it for... the PS3 or 360.
PS3 version definitely. :)
With the PS3 version you'll get cross-platform Steam functionality (so you'll be able to chat and play multiplayer with PC and Mac players as well as PS3). Not only that but you'll get a free Steam copy of the game simply by linking your PSN and Steam accounts, could create one of the latter if you don't already have one. The 360 version doesn't offer any of this.
You might not be PC gaming now but you never know in the future. It's free anyway so who's gonna say no to that? hehe.
Main reason for considering it for the 360 is the fact I have a lot less games for that system... it'd give me a reason to play on that system a little more with multiplayer. The pluses for PS3 are more though... multiplayer with the PC crowd (which I suspect are many in here), plus the trade in values for PS3 games where I live are higher. :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
Finished this in one day today, in maybe 9-10 hours total. That would in fact be my only complaint - it's short, because it isn't more difficult. There is a lot of content there, but it can mostly be breezed through with the odd stop for five minutes to figure out where to Portal to next. A shame all things considered, as the rest of the game is perfect.

That said though, the length doesn't really bother me looking back on it. The game was genius from start to finish, and the ending (well, the last two chapters as you head back to the top of the facility) was hillariously good. Wheatley is rivalling GlaDoS' place in my heart, and I dearly hope he returns for Portal 3.

Speaking of Portal 3, I sincerely hope Valve have already started looking at it, or that they will begin doing so in the near future. The franchise really is gold, and it really doesn't deserve to be left to rot like the inferior Half Life franchise has.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:19 am

M.Steiner
Slacker wrote:The pluses for PS3 are more though... multiplayer with the PC crowd (which I suspect are many in here), plus the trade in values for PS3 games where I live are higher. :)
You'd also get to keep the PC/Mac copy of the game should you trade in the PS3 copy, should you ever need that. ;)
Anubis wrote:Wheatley is rivalling GlaDoS' place in my heart, and I dearly hope he returns for Portal 3.
hehe. Whilst GlaDoS is still special, Wheatley was the real highlight of Portal 2 for me. Even with all the additional features and improvements Portal 2 would not have been the same experience without Merchant as Wheatley.
For me this is really great to see too. For years now Ricky has been the one to get most of the credit & attention. Sure it's deserving and he's bloody hilarous but Steve is totally underrated. Up until recently with the Ricky Gervais Show (Podcasts/HBO Animation) and An Idiot Abroad (with Mr. Pilkoids!) which have helped get his name out there a bit more he has been unknown to some. To say he was the co-creator of The Office, one of the best comedy series in the history of television.. is quite sad to say the least. So hopefully the success of Portal 2 will give him some more of the recognition he deserve, the man's a legend. I can't imagine anyone else voicing Wheatley, Valve made a great pick there.

I think the chances of him returning are almost certain. The character seems just as popular among fans as GlaDoS was and if Valve do offer him the job of reprising his role as Wheatley I'm sure he will take it. Tis "money for old rope" as he says. :)
Good to see you enjoyed it too mate!
Anubis wrote:The franchise really is gold, and it really doesn't deserve to be left to rot like the inferior Half Life franchise has.
Can't see that happening tbh but I hope we get some kind of announcement for a HL3/Episode 3 at E3, though I won't get my hopes up.... Half-Life is still one of the best video game franchises there is.

Oh and for Mad Men fans
:D

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:34 am

Slacker
SSX-MS wrote:
Slacker wrote:The pluses for PS3 are more though... multiplayer with the PC crowd (which I suspect are many in here), plus the trade in values for PS3 games where I live are higher. :)
You'd also get to keep the PC/Mac copy of the game should you trade in the PS3 copy, should you ever need that. ;)
I thought listening to me on IRC, you'd know my thoughts on that by now. :)

If there were ever Steam on Linux with that game (I know, hell has to freeze over first), there'd at least be a slim chance that I would play on the PC. Gaming in Windows lost interest for me over 10 years ago.

In the end, I suspect I'll get it for the PS3.

Portal 2

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 11:31 pm

Inquisitor
WHen I get it, it will be Xbox :)
No signature

Return to “General Discussions”