Vote for the greatest sci-fi of all time...

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Vote for the greatest sci-fi of all time...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:53 am

Ozone
starting this Friday. Though it's not a complete list, obviously, its got some pretty good potential.

http://io9.com/#!5782328/io9s-march-mov ... -ever-made
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: Vote for the greatest sci-fi of all time...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:56 am

BlackDove
WallE vs. Gattaca
WallE is winning by 62 to 38

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:41 am

BlueFlames
So this 'March Madness' popularity contest was such a bad idea when The Escapist did it, that more sites had to follow suit?

[edit] Actually, I guess Gamespy did it once or twice before The Escapist, and I'm sure someone else did it before them. The Escapist's version just gained more notoriety on account of Valve and Zynga spamming the whole internet about the fact that they were finalists in a meaningless internet poll. [/edit]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:01 am

Stracius
BlackDove wrote:
WallE vs. Gattaca
WallE is winning by 62 to 38

Strangly enough, that was kind of my reaction. I stopped reading after that.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Kon
I'm gonna have to go with everyone else in this thread and say that I am kind of confused as to some of the choices the crowd made. But just as bad as the Gattaca disaster for me was Clockwork Orange getting swept away by Ghostbusters, which I'm not sure should even be included in a list of sci-fi.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:07 pm

Whizbang
There are a lot of choices in that list that should never have been entered. They do not fit into the sci-fi category. A shame that they allow those with IQs that match their shoe size vote in things like that.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:34 pm

Inquisitor
I thought Gattaca was stupid. A trendy attempt at Sci Fi with the beautiful people in the lead roles.
No signature

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:40 am

Stracius
I 've always viewed Gattaca as a movie ahead of its time. Maybe we can convince the movie studios to "reboot" it if genetics ever becomes incorporated into society to the point where it finally prompts a debate of potential discrimination (I'm sure that will never happen, corporations will never wield that kind of power. ...). I'll be sure to recommend they use less comely actors, too.

Stupid Andrew Niccol, what was he thinking? I mean, really, writing about moral issues that don't exist yet? He should take a page from Asimov - now *that* guy could write non-trendy scifi.

To each their own I suppose :p
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:30 am

BlackDove
Inquisitor wrote:I thought Gattaca was stupid. A trendy attempt at Sci Fi with the beautiful people in the lead roles.
I don't.... follow the logic there.

Having pretty people in films is bad?

What's stupid about the film?

Trendy?

Watch the thing again. The film is pretty <censored> great.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:10 am

Fenavian
I loved Gattaca as well, but comparing it to WALL-E is like comparing Apples and Hamburgers.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:36 pm

Slacker
BlackDove wrote:
Inquisitor wrote:I thought Gattaca was stupid. A trendy attempt at Sci Fi with the beautiful people in the lead roles.

Trendy?

In the end, his first part of the statement is all that really matters, it was stupid.
<SSX-Anubis> Did you see the E3 trailer for Hot Pursuit btw?
<SSX-Anubis> That even has me a little tempted

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:01 pm

Stracius
Don't make me brandish my Elvish Longsword of +5 vs. Trolls.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:07 pm

Whizbang
I found Gattaca entertaining and thought-provoking. If you consider the implications that the movie brings forth, it is quite frightening. It reminds me much of Brave New World, where genetic manipulation and segregation was the norm. Genetic stereotyping and inclusion into divisions/sections of society is a strong theme in the movie and one that is rather close to reality if you stop and consider today's world. How something like that can be stupid is a bit hard to grasp.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 pm

BlackDove
Slacker wrote:
BlackDove wrote:

Trendy?

In the end, his first part of the statement is all that really matters, it was stupid.
Hahaha, no.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:32 am

Inquisitor
Ham handed, preachy, mediocre acting, and starring trendy people.

The story was as subtle as Anny's politics ;)
No signature

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 2:09 am

Anubis
Site Admin
Inquisitor wrote:The story was as subtle as Anny's politics ;)
:lol:

Makes me want to watch it. I'm not sure I've ever run into a show whose story has been bludgeoned into the audience so thoroughly ;)
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

Return to “General Discussions”