Seems D&D online has gone free

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Seems D&D online has gone free

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Ozone
as of September. Just stumbled across the info today.

Free d/l, unlimited play. They seem to be trying to kick start it back up. Rumor has it it is pretty much the full game. If you do run a minimal subscription per month you become a VIP with access to 2 additional character classes and monthly 'gifts'.

I beta tested this a while back during my WoW addiction. It was a bit rough on the edges, but this was years and many patches ago. So, gonna check it out for a bit, and see what the scoop is. :)

Servers limited. I went with THELANIS.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

Re: Seems D&D online has gone free

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:42 am

Whizbang
I created an account when it rolled over as a F2P MMO back in 2009 and for the most part you never really see much of a difference in gameplay with a free account. You do lose out on two classes, but that isn't that big of a deal considering you still have access to the others and you can run a dual profession/multi profession character if you so choose.

The biggest issue I had with the game was that after a while the dungeons started feeling very 'familiar' and no matter the quests given you felt like you had 'been there-done that' before. I think it gets better with groups as the dynamics of things change and the difficulty grows exponentially. I do think for a F2P MMO it is one to keep around for times that you want to D&D with some friends that don't live within walking/driving distance.

I am not a big fan of the ruleset used though. I've always been a fan of 2.0 and thought that 3.0+ was adding too many dice rolls for the dumbest of things.
Walk on with hope in your heart
And you'll never walk alone

[16:22] <SoulSeeker> i know its not the pc version but i kill kids for fun

<whizbang> Who's the ref?
<Isileth> Some dickhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:44 am

Inquisitor
Hmm, free I can get behind, might try it.
No signature

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:59 am

Ozone
KK, been playing for a bit. It does combine a lot of the D&D rules into game. Ran for a few hours. It's fun. In particular I like how the quest is spoken out by the 'dungeonmaster'. The only time I saw any monetary requirements so far was during char creation - to be the monk class or to be a drow or warthingie you need to cough up a few bucks.

So I'll probably be on a bit wasting some time.

As stated, on THELANIS Server atm. Hope to catch some of you guys there if ya got some time to kill.
"Rarely is the questioned asked: Is our children learning?" George Bush, Jan. 11, 2000

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:30 pm

Iyeman
Yeah all the "premium" accesss (14.99 sub) give4s you is access to "adventure packs" i subbed for 2 months but didnt play much after the first week due to it being copy/paste dungeons...I dunno if i even went into any of the adventure pack areas, but I wanted to play a monk so i subbed, plus you get cash for there store as part of the monthly subscription.

Also on a free account every 4 lvls you have to either find a lvl signet (i think thats what its called) ingame via loot or purchase it via the Micro transaction store in order to lvl another 4 lvls.
-Games Im Playing -- http://raptr.com/Iyeman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:51 am

Padishar
This was always a good game, (not great, but good) even from a start.
I def recommend playing it now that it is free.

Never could quit understand how they could charge
for something you were already getting from the
Neverwinter Nights & Guild Wars for free.

Return to “General Discussions”