$5 Games

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

$5 Games

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:50 am

Padishar
I know this is kind of short notice, but I thought someone might want to know that
for the next 2 days Direct2Drive still has a bunch of popular games (and some crappy ones)
for $5 a piece in celebration of their 5 years online.
I guess its been going on for awhile now, but I just found out about it.

I just snagged Bioshock and Civ4

http://www.direct2drive.com/d2dturns5

Re: $5 Games

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:06 am

Isileth
Yeah its been going on for a while now, going through different genres.

Naturally its $5 or 115, making it slightly less fantastic for those this side of the pond.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:43 pm

Padishar
Sorry about suggesting this. Thought $5 for a game was a good deal.
And it still sort of is, if you don't mind waiting if something goes wrong...

I just learned (the hard way) that D2D only allows you to unlock
YOUR game up to 5 times.
Then you have to contact their customer support and
get a manual unlock code everytime you need to install/reinstall the game after that.
Which can take anywhere between a few days or (as I have read) upto to a few weeks.
Who knows what will happen years from now when you go to dust off a fun old game,
just to find out if their server activation still supports it or not. :shake:

Now this time, I only had to wait 4 days, but still... weekend is gone. :smack:

Like I said I found this out the hard way,
because for some reason my OS would not save that the unlock code was activated.
Soo... everytime someone in the house would play the game, the code would be reactivated.
Which of course made it hit its 5 activation limit FAST and I was unable to play MY game this weekend.

As usual, companies (like Securom) keep coming out with some lame copy protection schemes
that only punishes the consumer. :confused:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:24 am

Isileth
Yeah im not a huge fan of them either.

However at least with D2D its a big operation and not likely to go anytime soon, plus I believe they have stated if they ever did go under they would release patches to allow them to work without activation. But im not sure on that.

The whole activation thing as a whole bugs me though I must admit, loads of problems for those using it and there will be a crack released for it within 2-3 days anyways. Yet those who dont use it are stuck with the problems.
Bit like the annoying unskipable anti piracy ads on DVDs when the illegal copies go straight to the film. Is it worth sticking these things on your paying customers when it will be circumvented by others in a day or two.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:05 pm

BlackDove
Padishar wrote:As usual, companies (like Securom) keep coming out with some lame copy protection schemes
that only punishes the consumer. :confused:
It's only meant to punish the consumer, as they don't want you to sell your copy to someone else.

Sort of a way to break up used game sales, as there's a lot of money involved.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:49 pm

esd
Isileth wrote:Naturally its $5 or 115, making it slightly less fantastic for those this side of the pond.
I noticed this, which is why after I created my account on the UK site, I then logged into the US site to make the purchase. Snagged the entire XCom series for $5US (just under 114, ish).
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:54 pm

BlackDove
esd wrote:
Isileth wrote:Naturally its $5 or 115, making it slightly less fantastic for those this side of the pond.
I noticed this, which is why after I created my account on the UK site, I then logged into the US site to make the purchase. Snagged the entire XCom series for $5US (just under 114, ish).
Did that really work?

You are my god.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:22 am

esd
BlackDove wrote:Did that really work?
It sure did:
9/21/09 X-Com Complete Bundle $5.00 $0.75 $5.75
At today's exchange rate that's 113.51 :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:29 pm

BlackDove
FIGHT THE POWER!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:28 pm

esd
BlackDove wrote:FIGHT THE POWER!
Quite. I'm not sure if I should invest the 111.49 I saved in stocks and shares, or perhaps splash out on that Lamborghini I've had my eye on...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:46 pm

Anubis
Site Admin
esd wrote:
BlackDove wrote:FIGHT THE POWER!
Quite. I'm not sure if I should invest the 111.49 I saved in stocks and shares, or perhaps splash out on that Lamborghini I've had my eye on...
Go for the shares. I hear you could get a majority shareholding in Northern Rock for that amount.
"Perhaps this is what I have always wished for since that day. The loss and destruction of all. That's right, one must destroy before creating. In that case, if my conscience becomes a hindrance to me, then I will simply erase it. I have no other choice but to move forward....therefore!" - Lelouch vi Britannia/Zero, Code Geass: Hangyaku no Lelouch

Forever an eXile and proud of it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:31 am

BlackDove
Obviously you should spend it on the Lamborghini as you don't want to gamble all that money away if the shares suddenly drop.

Return to “General Discussions”