Runes of Magic

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

Runes of Magic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 7:43 pm

Syro
I started playing RoM a few weeks ago and I am enjoying it.

For background on my MMO prefs, I loved Lineage 2, EQ1, DAoC, and UO. All of them full pvp, except EQ1. I enjoyed WOW, EQ2, LoTRO, Vanguard, Guild Wars, etc., etc., and RoM has been a nice change of pace. It's F2P but does not suffer the same short-comings of all the other Asian-market, F2P MMO's. If you can get through the 4 Gig client download, then it might be worth checking out.

The game is more like WoW with an Item Store. No need to buy items with real-world $$$ to enjoy the game. Drops and gold are plentiful. All the standard MMO stuff is there, housing, banking, AH, crafting, solo, grouping, pve, and pvp. Nice graphics. It's unique sell on character development is a dual-class system that works well. Servers include USA and EU logins but a person could play on both. The game is open beta atm with a go-live date in March. Guilds are starting to flourish and develop. I see a lot of familiar guilds invading the realm but I have no desire to get into the guild experience at this time. Wulfie and I are heading back to WoW when we get bored with this one.

I am currently on one of the PVE USA servers. The game is not hardcore but one of the PVP servers might offer a more hardcore experience.

Re: Runes of Magic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:09 am

Padishar
I played this game a little a few weeks ago,
game seemed fun and I like the dual class set up :cool:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:13 am

Plovske
You forgot to mention that its completely free to try!

I'm gonna give this a go, who knows, maybe i like it :)
enjoy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:11 pm

Syro
Yep :)

F2P = Free to play and free to try

Wulfie and I are on the Govinda USA server. I am Anselm (Scout/Rogue) and Akiro (Mage/Priest).

I found this to be the fastest way to download in the USA:

http://forum.us.runesofmagic.com/showthread.php?t=351

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Stracius
Sounds kinda like the dual class abil from FFXI, except without the jobs system. seems interesting.
hoott19 wrote:There are many drinks that are drunk by the people.So, the mostly, person like to have beer. They like because of it's benifit. The benifiti is that it hepls to reduce fat from the body and make the mental calm.
[WoW] This type of games should be up dated as soon as possible. Because there are many people that ere very found of such games. As these are very help full for make the brain power full and strong. So, mentaly strongness is the need of this presant era.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:39 am

Plovske
Looks kinda fun, haven't played a lot yet but for what i can say now it look pretty cool :)
The controls are exactly the same as WoW (as is the interface for that matter) witch is a good thing imo.

Though, it seems to be just as time consuming and addictive as WoW was for me back in the day. so I'm not to sure if I'm gonna stick with it.
enjoy!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:10 pm

Syro
Lots of solo stuff and questing to do. The group stuff doesn't take hours and hours. But yes, it could be a time sink if one is prone to gaming addiction. :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Futile Resistance
Is it much of a grind?

Is the only satisfaction I'd most likely receive the "ding" at the next level or the "ooh" from that new shiny armor/weapon?

I've been playing Atlantica Online for a bit, and while the combat system is unique and interesting, I've realized all I'm doing is grinding one quest after another until I ding high enough for the next quest...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 4:57 am

Syro
Lots to do in RoM. To me, it feels similiar to WoW (gameplay-wise) but been a while since I played WoW. WoW felt more like grinding at points than RoM has thus far. I have a toon that is 21/21 (Level 21 Scout and Level 21 Rogue) and the other is 20/18 Priest / Mage. I've been moving on to the next areas before completing all the quests. The game doesn't really add anything new to mmo's, but that is part of its appeal. It takes the good of all of them and mixes it up. Very solid - coding, graphics, gameplay, etc.

One could play it solo but would miss the elite quest gear that comes from instances and epic mobs (epic requiring a strong group - but not hours of grinding to finish). One could focus on crafting, farming, questing (variety of story lines in two different worlds to explore), tweaking gear (numerous ways to upgrade gear not just questing), pvp, or simply grinding - kill, kill, kill. Once we turn level 10 and select a second class, we can play in two different realms - the main starting area that progresses to more challenging areas or teleport to a new starting area for dual-class toons only. It's the same kind of stuff in both worlds. The only difference is the storyline and environment. I've been switching back and forth between both realms because I need variety in my gaming.

Govinda, as a server, is teaming with life. I see heavier traffic on other servers at times so I guess they are much the same. Wulfie and I have been enjoying ourselves. It has been a nice change of pace for my mmo life - a surprising find.

Without formally reviewing RoM, I will say that it's a solid mmo. I have played most of the F2P mmo's during periods of boredom and breaks from my P2P mmo's. RoM is nothing like any F2P that I have experienced. Unique enough to be entertaining but similiar enough to the popular mmo's to be intuitive.

It's totally free. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:14 am

Futile Resistance
Guess I'll give it a whirl.

I take it from your previous message you're on the Govinda server? I'll go ahead and roll something there and /tell you guys.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:40 am

Syro
Cool! :)

Yes, Wulfie and I are playing Govinda. We are usually play in the evenings. Send us a tell or offline. Or post your toon here and we'll find you. :thumb:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:03 pm

Wulfsmark
One of the cool things about this game is you don't have to go see a trainer every level!!! When you ding you automagically get your next level skill, if you are due one.. so there is the instant gratification upon dingage!! I don't have a long list of MMO's that I have played, but so far all of them I have had to travel great distances :smack: to retrieve new skills.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:15 pm

Kon
Sounds interesting. I'll have to try this one out some time this week. I'll post again when I pop up on your server.
"We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 7:21 am

Isileth
Decided to give it a go, nice to see a lot less grind than you normally see on free MMOs.

I'm on an Int English server though so doubt I will see anyone else from here on :(

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:51 pm

Wulfsmark
Iseleth, you can't sign up for a US server? When Syro first downloaded my game on my PC we accidentally signed up for the Europe server.... somehow, I can't, remember right off hand, Syro fixed it so i could play on US server.. we didn't have to download again I don't think. But if you wanted to, maybe you could do that? Syro might be able to explain how he did it. If you wanted to play with us. :thumb:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:21 pm

Isileth
Yeah I had the option to but I've tried playing on American servers in the past and due to the time difference it can just be a pain outside the small amount of time everyone can be on together.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:10 am

Wulfsmark
I actually thought about that after I submitted. I have to work around international time zones every day so you would think the time difference would occur to me quicker!!! :eek:

Anyway, hope you have fun!! :thumb: If you ever decide to come to the dark side we be there for a while!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:22 pm

Kon
So is anyone still playing this? If so, what server? I'm downloading now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:07 am

Wulfsmark
Syro and I are playing on Govinda (I think that is the name.. looks like that :weird: ) :lol: anyway, servier is down right now... but should be back up soon :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:19 pm

Kon
I'm on your server as Kahn. I am primarily a Warrior, but have yet to pick my secondary class. I must say that I like the look of the Warrior class in this game, as it looks like it actually is a melee DPS class as opposed to a tank. That role looks like it goes to the Knight. Now I'm left wondering what it is Rogues do in this game. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:13 pm

Isileth
I havent been on in almost a week, but its an ok game.

Little to much grind in it for my liking however. 90% of your missions are kill 40 X or collect 20 Y.

Currently have a W/K thats 18/15 (ish) and a R/K. The rogue is currently a useless class because its a softer lower dps version of the warrior, should be fixed sometime soon but was hit hard in one of the recent patches.

Really one pick outshines them all. M/P. Does more damage than any class and has a lot of healing. Its basic regen skill can outheal any damage unless you get totally swamped. Thats a fairly safe bet for anyone new because I cant see it getting destroyed otherwise M or P used with a different class would be made a lot weaker. Its just that being able to combine max dps with great healing works very well.

However cant see myself playing much more, just reaching 15/15 I feel I have played everything the game has to offer apart from just a change of scenery as I go on.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:16 am

Syro
I agree. M/P is my fav. Other than doing instances, it's all about the same beyond level 20. Monsters have different abilities but the only noticeable effect is knock-down. Wulfy and I still having fun, but we play casually. :thumb:

Welcome aboard, Kahn! I will look for you. We won't be on until Thursday night.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:33 pm

Syro
We have moved to The Chronicles of Spellborn open beta. I am looking forward to Aion, so we're really just finding stuff to fill time. We'll probably hit Priston Tale 2 when beta opens in the US.

Getting zzzz'd with RoM.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:59 pm

Kon
Oddly enough I uninstalled it right around the time you made this post. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:42 pm

Isileth
I also tried the TCOS but it barely runs on my rig at the lowest settings and the actual gameplay didn't seem anything special despite the combat mechanics.

Aion I haven't really looked at, however I was a huge fan of GW, really the only mmo I have gotten into in a long time. From what I heard early on in Aions development though it seems like they are taking it in a very different direction.

Return to “General Discussions”