I have been doing way too much!

A place for us all come together to discuss general topics of interest. Want to chat about music, movies, news, real life, or a game that we don't have a group for? This is the place.

Moderators: General Forum Moderators, Global Moderators

I have been doing way too much!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Syn
As the subject says, I've been a little busy lately.

I started setting up a bit of a major battle storyboard, using these little virtual miniatures in Maya. It's all spaceships, and I bascaiily jsut threw design out the door and made whatever I felt like, but anyway...
Here is a view of some fighters which I started out with:
http://www.thetagamerz.com/images/va1.jpg
And here is a quick flythrough of the workspace, as of when I stopped working on it this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9Z_U6y_I_M

and of course I just had to sit down and work on some back story for birth, of course thats the only hint I can give you since anything else would spoil the ending.
Part 1:
http://gaxonline.com/blogs/acidserra/ar ... /what.aspx

Anyways, comments, concerns, criticisms...?
bah my forums is dead, so it is removed from my sig...

Btw, I'm making a game, it will be awesome, you will look forward to it.[/hype]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:26 am

Ruhn
Wow looks cool man!!! :eek: You should really post some updates once in a while.... really curious about the result! Lemme know If you need some testing or w/e =) :thumb:
Chuck Norris beat Halo 2 on Legendary using only the strafe buttons and flashlight -.-

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:01 pm

esd
I might have a couple of fighter meshes I can donate if you like, but they're not low-poly ;)
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:25 am

Syn
I don't have any preofessional level tools atm, just the PLE, so I probably can't use the meshes you've got. If I ever get a copy of Maya to call my own, I'll definitely take you up on the offer.

Honestly Ruhn, right now there isn't much to update. I've been going off and on, but on the programming side, there is just too much reading time to programming time, and too much time spent creating back end stuff that teaches me a lot but doesn't really create any interesting output to update too often.

I'll try and update my blog more often with the stuff I'm learning though. Also I've started using big freaking photoshop documents as an easy whiteboard so I may start posting those as I crank through em.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:57 am

esd
Yeah, looking at Maya's website, it appears you can't even import .3ds :shake:

There's some pretty good freeware 3d modellers/animators at the bottom of this page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3D_modeler
""I like my women like I like my coffee. In a plastic cup.""

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:49 am

Syn
I'm not really in the market for 3d modelling software free or otherwise, when I start writing the 3d graphics layer of the engine I'm working on right now I'll probably look some options up. (Personally I'm a Maya kiddie, I know the environment pretty darn well by this point so I can work fast in it, unlike Max where I managed to lock a couple axis preventing me from using them while looking for a hotkey for rotate... >.>)

First in line though are sound and 2d, since Birth really only needs a text window and I would like it to have music and sound.

BTW the engine is really coming along in abstract terms. I have the fundamentals in place for a message system, some AI, some basic physics components like vectors in both 2d and 3d. I'm gonna finish making some basic actors, then I'm going to push out a UI layer that just uses the console for a while longer. After that it's going to be a back and forth between researching scripting languages and what it would take to include them and communications between them and the engine, and hitting directX harder to get through the COM learning curve.

Return to “General Discussions”