The world of Rubi-Ka awaits!

Moderator: Global Moderators

Noob Island

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:57 pm

NF
Arbiter
The beginnings of my tips for 'Noob Island'

Shuttle Terminal:
A quite pointless area for people who don't have shadowlands as theres only one exit you can use. Just head straight through the terminal, past the central statue and through the door directly ahead. You can talk to people in the terminal but to be honest not one of them has anything interesting to say beyond basic background of Rubi-Ka and how to use the shuttle terminal. Please note that if you have shadowlands expansion then you want to head to the jobe area located to the right of the main shuttle exit.

On the Shuttle:
A completely pointless bit of storytelling here as the all you do is stand there while the screen shudders (simulating a crash) and then it goes dark. When you can move again just turn around until you can see the red lit corridor and follow it round till you see a ladder. Walk upto the ladder and the area will change to noob island.

Noob Island:
So you've crashed, miles from your destination, with only the barest of supplies to keep you going. You have a basic weapon (luckily solar powered so you dont have to worry about ammo just yet!)

First off you find yourself standing outside the shuttle on a small island just off the coast. Next to you will be a nurse who will immediately strike up a conversation with you and will generally jabber away about nothing consequential. Once she'd finished resist the urge to shoot her in the head and instead make your way to the coast by diving into the water and swimming to the shore. Enjoy the swim its probably the only time you'll ever go for a dip unless you accidentally walk off a cliff or such (hence dont EVER waste skill points on the swimming skill).

Once on the coast there will be a doctor standing there. Feel free to talk to him and he'll give you a mission for which you'll get a miniscule amount of XP and some med kits as a reward. Med kits are useful at this stage if you're one of the weaker fighting classes but if you're an enforcer/soldier or similar dont bother with him and just start killing wildlife as the kits you already have will be sufficient.

Before attacking anything make sure you're ready for battle. First equip you weapon by either right-clicking on it in your inventory ('I' to bring up inventory) or pressing 'ctrl-1' to bring up your equipment paperdoll and dragging the weapon from inventory onto your empty weapon slot.
Next you need to make sure you have your heals ready, the best way to do this is to use the quickbar at the top left of the screen. Simply drag the items from your inventory onto an empty slot on the bar and hey presto if you press the corresponding number key ('1'-'0') it will cast it, just make sure you have yourself targetted ('F1') or it wont work, and for the larger kits you may have be sat down ('x') and not in a fight.
If you have any nano crystals in your inventory then you want to right click these and memorize them, then add the momorized spell(s) to the quickbar as well.

Now its time to depopulate the local wildlife and commit genocide on the leets. Simply target one of the little fellas ('tab' or click on it with mouse) and then attack it by pressing 'q' Your man will begin firing on his own until the sucker is pushing up the daisies (or you are!) Once battle has commenced select yourself ('F1') and keep ready with the heals as the with the early levels you can occasionally get unlucky and they get ther better of you. If you are wanting to use any of the offensive spells then just make sure you have just the creature targetted as your guy will quite happily cast them on himself.

Once the creature is dead then click on the corpse to loot it. At this stage the only really useful goodies to take is armour (equip it as soon as you get it by right clicking on it) and the 'Take me to the shop' items which as the name suggests should be taken to the shop and sold (they're the blue and silver things) Mostly the green bird/parrot things drop these so focus on these lil' guys for the best harvest.

At this stage theres not a great deal of variation just kill, loot, kill, loot until you level or your inventory is full. If you level then just whack your base stats up (str/sta/dex/health etc) and leave the excess IP points for later.

If your inventory is full you'll need to visit the shop (i'm gonna refrain from directions to here as I'm at work and I dont want to send people off in wrong direction, so i'll add them once I have a map infront of me!)

To be continued.......(when my boss aint watching!!)
NF

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:37 pm

NF
Arbiter
Directions to the shop:
From where you make landfall if you head south along the beach until you see a guard standing by a tunnel on the right hand side. Head down this tunnel, turn right into another tunnel and go to the end... at the bottome you'll see a ramp on your right follow that up and round until you're at the top. Turn left at the top and run in a straight line up another ramp and you'll see a cluster of people ahead of you.. The shop is a guy slightly to the right just start a conversation with him and click the little shopping cart at the bottom of the conversation to see his wares.

What to buy:
At this stage dont waste any money on too much just clear your inventory and go kill more... Once you do have enough money then useful things to buy are the newcomer armour (just get the LOWEST level as once you have changed it to omni/clan armour it will upgrade as you level. (thanx Stracius)). If you use a one handed weapon then you may want to pick up an extra one for duel wielding, just to speed up the killing but beyond that dont bother with anything else from him.

Other points of interest:
Nearby to the vendor theres another NPC who will happily give you quests which are an interesting diversion but not much more than that. Killing leets is a much better way of getting XP fast.

As you head back the way you came you'll see a few soldiers dispatching aliens on your right. The aliens are nasty so try not to attack them but if you head past them (dont worry they wont attack you) and directly across the central playfield (avoiding the cracks and holes). On the otherside you will find both a clan and an omni recruiter as well as a respective vendor for each. If you want to play with SSX you'll need to sign up with Omni-Tek so just have a word with the omni recruiter and he'll give you the appropriate forms. Once signed up you can then make use of the Omni-shop.. You'll want to return here with a bit of cash and grab sunglasses (useful for axtra few skill points later on), the sun tan lotion and the bits of equipment used to upgrade you newcomer armour (forgotten what they're called). You'll need to kill many leets to afford it all but its well worth it as they cost an even bigger fortune to buy once you leave noob island.

For reference the big door at the top of the ramp is the entrance to the teleporters (whompahs) to the mainland. To use them you'll need the Omni recruiter to give you a pass, just talk to him again.

What next:
Level to 5-7, get your goodies from the shop and whompah to Rome.
Last edited by NF on Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
NF

All roads lead to Rome, (except the ones to Athens)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:05 pm

NF
Arbiter
So you've navigated the tedium of Noob Island, your reputation for Leet genocide is now legendary and the little critters will run a mile if they hear you stomping towards them... so what next you ask?

Well if you've just teleported to Rome you'll find yourself standing by a sign outside the eastern entrance to Rome. A guy will try and talk to you about what to do next and as usual impart nothing useful..

If you head west the first thing you'll see is the entrance to "The Subway" This is your initial dungeon and where you'll spend alot of time until around level 25. Dont run in just yet, instead the best thing to do is make sure you're ready to head in.. First off get recruited into SSX, just message someone in IRC and get them to meet you in game. This will allow you to chat with other org members and ask all the questions you'll definitely have. If you're lucky they'll also give you a few creds to get some new equipment :) Once this is done get them to show you to the basic shop, this will be the place to grab all the equipment/implants and nonos you'll need to refine you killing machine.. stock up and then head back out to subway..

Subway:
The subway can be approached many ways. By far the safest is to stand outside and get a team to head in with, theres always a load of people crying out for team members so just keep your eye out and you'll find one after a few mins. The second approach is to go it alone... If you do this then the best advice is be cautious.. though you'll lose nothing at this stage if you die it will annoy you :) Stick to filth fleas and the occasional vagabond, attacking one at a time, these will see you through a few levels and then you can move onto the main hall area where theres some slightly nastier subway denizens:

Muggers:
Will attack on sight so be ready for them. Tend to drop some nice weapons which you can use or sell for cash.

Dogs:
Dogs hit hard so make sure you're ready with the heals. You definitely want to make sure theres no muggers around to jump on you while attacking a dog as I doubt you'll survive them both alone.

West from the main hall you'll find not only some robots but also a bit further in some shops (equivalent to basic shops in rome) A useful shop here is the Container vendor who will set you up with backpacks, useful for storing that loot in so you dont have to keep heading to a shop to offload.

East from the main hall is the way to the head deeper into the dungeon, just be cautious and you'll be fine :)
NF

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:33 pm

JarodRah
This is great :)
Sc-Fi Gaming
Mechs
Kicking Eds butt in Lore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:49 am

NF
Arbiter
have been doing from memory while at work so apologies if I've missed anything.. gonna do subway next in a bit more detail...
NF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:53 am

BlackDove
This will be useful.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:40 pm

Stracius
SSX-NF wrote:What to buy:
At this stage dont waste any money on too much just clear your inventory and go kill more... Once you do have enough money then useful things to buy are the newcomer armour (just get the highest level one even though you wont be able to equip it yet).

Why not buy the lowest lvl newcomer armor? Once you change it to either Omni or Clan, you can upgrade it as you level up. Save money, get the same end result as buying the highest lvl stuff. Wish I'd known that before though. I bought the highest ><

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:34 am

NF
Arbiter
Must admit I didn't realise that the lower level armour would do that, have edited my original post, thanx Stracius :)
NF

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:06 pm

Stracius
Just noticed something else :P

The NPC that gives those missions, the mission rewards are a faction shoulderpad, reeeally great piece of equipment for low levels. I did the unicorn commander mission twice and picked up two of them easily. They don't upgrade, but I'll probably have them until lvl 20. +20 to all ACs, and a +5 to all offensive on them ^.^

Quite worth doing, bit of cash from them aren't bad either.

Return to “Anarchy Online”