Quick Start

The call for a hero has sounded. Will it be you?

Moderator: Global Moderators

Quick Start

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:41 am

Padishar
Easiest starting chars for PvE is Monk/Warrior and Monk/Ranger. Monks are the masters of buffs... and by being a primer Monk you get more mana which = more buffs you can have on you at a time. With the right combo of buffs you can make yourself insanely hard to kill versus monsters. True this is not the most OMGWTFPWN of templates or damage but you have really really high survivability. Warrior/Monks are also a favorite amongst noobs and zergers but I like the extra mana regen.

Map Travel is your best friend. Anytime you zone into a new city it is saved on your map... from then after you can goto your menu and select map travel to instantly travel there from any part in the game. This will save you immense amounts of time running errands and is a lifesaver if you are lost or about to die a slow death.

Anytime you pick up a better weapon off of a monster, the next time you are in town speak with a weaponsmith. He will specialize the weapon to your char. This adds +20% damage but the weapon is only useable by you afterwords.

When you have enough money to afford normal things start buying salvage kits and dissessemble things... There are no merchant skills in the game. making everything just takes resources and the right equipment. Some of this equipment you get from drops, some from quests and most are from salvaging and taking them to vendors in town for them to make you the items.

Don't forget to goto your hero screen after each lvl and distribute your ability points. Your primary profession dictates what armor you wear and what primary attribute you have. Primary attributes have there own powers just like all attributes, but they also have bonus affects:
Rangers get Expertise making there combat skills cost less. Rangers also only have 3 mana regen bars.
Warriors get Strength which gives them a +1% armor penetration per point. Warriors only have 2 mana regen bars.
Mezmers get fastcast which makes spells cast much faster.
Monks get devotion which gives a bonus to heals.
Necromancers get soul steal or life tap (or something like that) which gives you a bonus point (per attribute point) to mana each time something around you dies.
Elementalists get mana storage which gives you extra mana per attribute point.

All your skills can be rearranged and switched out in towns but not when you are out questing or fighting.

Ok time for another nap...this pain sucks... hope this helps someone.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 2:32 am

Inquisitor
how do you get a sub class?
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 3:30 am

Messiah
It sure does look pretty!

Looks addictive.

/me resists the urge to tap a vein

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 4:39 pm

winbrian
On roleplaying there is a quest after you have done a frw quests then the guy near tydus give you the sub class

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:49 pm

Inquisitor
Ah, so, can you change sub's without penalty (like FF)?
No signature

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 8:53 pm

M.Steiner
Gamespot got some nice previews here too btw, bout the classes, Q&A etc.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/rpg/guildwars/previews.html :)
"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:04 pm

Padishar
Every profession person will have a 'where do I learn more skills' statement you can ask them.
When you pick a class other then your primary they will say where to go.
Once you talk to a trainer from a different class they will send you on a secondary quest with some skills from there profession. After you do that quest you have the 'option' of taking that class as a secondary profession. If you dont want it decline and fined another trainer.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:01 pm

winbrian
Inquisitor wrote:Ah, so, can you change sub's without penalty (like FF)?
Nope, one you take it your stuck with it. But it does ask you are you sure you want to do this.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 6:27 pm

Inquisitor
now if only I could find Tydus...

What's a good sub for Ranger? I like the charm ability, it's cool.
No signature

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:56 pm

Padishar
That matters on what you want.

Since it is your very very very first char I would recommend Monk. Rangers already have decent survivability and that would add to it even more, plus you can rez.

If you want some draining abilities, disable mons and even more pets go Necro; if you want more caster damage and more AOE's go Elementalist; If you want more control of battlefield and counters go Mesmer; Shoot faster, sprint more and have acess to melee weps/shields go Warrior.

One of my favorite early beta chars was a Berzerking Axe/Shield AntiCaster R/W :cool:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:30 pm

Inquisitor
Necro sounds good, sounds closest to "Summoner"

-edit-

I committed, R/N
No signature

Return to “Guild Wars”