n00b guide

Chocobo, wark!

Moderator: Global Moderators

n00b guide

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 5:43 pm

Inquisitor
Copied and pasted from a post I made on another forum:

I was thinkign I would cobble together a new players guide, since I am such a n00b

Then I realized that I WAS such a n00b, so I thought i would ask each of the folks here to toss out some wisdom for levels 1-20

You all suffered through my n00b 101 class last night after Killjoy joined, so I thought I would spread the pain

ALWAYS check the target. If the target cons as Tough or better, avoid it unless you are in a party. You will die. If you get aggro by something tougher than you, type /help and hopefully someone else will help you kill it. You won;t get exp, but you also won't die. When you get above level 4 or 5 (I think), each time you die, you lose experience. Always check it before fighting. Most beastmen will aggro as well if you get to near, so, caution is your friend.

Critters come in several flavors, all of this is in relation to your current character level:

Too Weak to be Worthwhile- No exp

Easy Prey- with various quaklifiers about high defense annd evasion and low defense and evasion, experience ranges from 12-45 exp per fight.

Decent Challenge- also with defense and evasion qualifiers, tpically 50-72 exp per kill, though I did find spider in Altepa that gave me 86ish.

Even Match- 100 exp

Tough - 120-160 (I think)

Incredibly Tough- Faced in parties, for the first 30 or 40 levels, these can give well over 200 exp per kill. They have the same defence and evasion qualifiers, so sometimes you will see someone describe something as IT ++ whcih is IT, with high evasion and hi defence. Nasty critters.

Impossible to Guage- Usually named monsters, you'll need to ask in /l about the level, some are low level, some are high.

You will split you experience with members of your party, so the numbers above are for when you are taking the mob on by yourself. You can only take Tough mobs if a higher level mage is healing you, also known as power levelling. The experience you get is relative to the highest level member of your party. They will get the most from the fight, the loweest level, oddly gets the least. So if a level 12 and a level 10 take on a Tough together, the level 12 might get 60, and the level 10 might get 54 or somethign like that (numbers are examples not real).

If you do get aggro, or face a critter too tough, run for the zone. The aggro goes away if you manage to zone. Though you can be killed if it gets on last hit in.

Macros are your friend. Create macros for anything that you use more than once. There should be a macro beginners guide in the book.

Next time we are on together, or if you are on and someone else in the LS is on, get a tour of the town. Find things like the map seller, the magic shop, etc.

Always talk to the gate guards before you leave and get your signet renewed. Signet is the only way to get crystals, and crystals are the best way to make money. Return to town if you can to get signet renewed if it wears off. In addition to crystals, signet lets you earn conquest points, which spend like money with the gate guards for gear and things like town warp scrolls.

Always set your homepoint somewhere convenient to your task. When you die or are warped (by scroll, yourself at level 17 BLM, or by a level 40 BLM with Warp II) that's where you will end up.

Some general thoughts, moslty specific to BLM noobness:

As a mage, stay in the n00b area until you get no more experience, soloing mages can be dangerous, you won't hit very hard, you won't have alot of MP, so take advantage of the easy exp.

You will be resting alot, thankfully, it will go quickly, so nuke, nuke, nuke. Take scrolls for your first several levels out with you if you can afford it, so you can keep going and stay updated. Pull the montsers with your longest cast time spells.

Avoid melee mobs, especially monk class mobs, they hit hard and fast. It will be much harder as you level to take anything more than a decent challenge.

About level 8 or so, you could consider a party of at the very least a duo. The canyon zone at the far north of east sart[tab] or even the far north of the n00b area just before the canyon would be a great place to team up with a melee buddy.

At level 10, invest in some earings to improve your magic, Onyx. I'd also find a +MND or +INT ring to improve the effectiveness of your magic (it's edit int for blm, mnd for whm). Level 10 is also a good time to get a total gear refresh. Level 15 is probably the next sensible gear refresh level.

Typically, when a mage hits level 10, the head to the Valkurm Dunes. Warn me before you try this, it needs a post all it's own.

Level 18 is another milestone. Subjobs. You will need help with this.

Level 20 is Chocobo license, Level 30 is advanced jobs unlocking.

I'll post more as it occurs to me.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:33 pm

Inquisitor
Bumping this as it's sepcifically relevant to firedancer's just getting started.
No signature

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:00 pm

Eriyalle
I would add to the noob guide that specific types of monsters are agressive. There are 3 types of agression - sight, sound, magic. It is very important early on to figure out which monsters *agro* (or will attack you un-provoked) and by what methods. A level one player with this figured out can safely get themselves ANYWHERE in the world (providing they have necessary key items of course - like airship passes).

Just a hint... Beastman type mobs ALWAYS aggro somehow.

Also, while a crab in one zone may not be agressive, something that looks exactly the same in another zone may be agressive. The happy news is I have yet to meet a monster that agro's based on DIFFERENT methods, so if you're not sure and you can't look it up, count on the monster in the new zone being agressive by the same method (sight, sound, magic, or a combination of the 3) as the other types of that same mob you have encountered.

Um.. hopefully that wasn't too confusing. XD

Oh! And don't rest/heal in front of agressive monsters once you're higher level than they are... they see that as a sign of weakness and will attack you.

~e

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:47 pm

Inquisitor
Bump for the new folks.
No signature

Return to “Final Fantasy”